Speech issues

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Hearing and Speech Impairments LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 18th, 2008, 06:56 PM
SandKmommy's Avatar Seamus and Kieran's Mommy
My son has had plenty of developmental delays, mostly physical when he was younger. Hes almost 2½ now and still having issues talking. He just started making 2-3 word sentences a few months ago. But they don't make sense some of the time and most of his talking is still gibberish. When seeing him around others his age he seems so much younger by his speech. Some things hes been saying are "Shay-mee hungy" "shay-mee sit chair" "shay-mee diaper" "mama ok?" and he says some normal one word things "peeze" "tankoo" "loove oo" "moe"(more) "moke" (milk) and some other just one word things. His ped said back in August that she'd refer him to a speech therapist but theres at least a 1yr waiting list. He had his hearing rechecked in September because last year he referred in his left ear. His hearing seems fine though. He had his tonsils out October 1st due to sleep apena and his talking got a little better after that. But he seems to be so behind with his words, if you're not around him often you wont know what hes saying most the time.

November 19th, 2008, 07:02 AM
HunterandLandonsmom's Avatar Super Mommy
Check to see if your school district does evaluations and yes this young. That is where my son got evulated through our school district at 2.5 and he got speech therapy at home until a few months ago and now he gets it at preschool(that is also through the school district)

November 19th, 2008, 07:31 AM
RainyDay's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You could try Early Intervention services through your county, sometimes called 0-3 or Birth-3 programs. This is free and based on need, not income, until age 3, so you'd want to do it ASAP. When they reach age three they are evaluated for transition to your local school district. Our son when through this and is now in special needs preschool receiving OT and speech therapy.

I would also question the one year waiting list for speech therapy. That just doesn't seem right! If you can get in with the county services maybe they would have recommendations for other private speech therapy. The speech therapist Sean worked with through Help Me Grow gave me several places to call for private speech therapy.

November 19th, 2008, 08:22 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
...he sounds like Eric.

But seriously, if you are concerned, a lot of states have early intervention programs available and little to no cost. They can get you hooked up with a speech therapist a lot faster than a year!

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search