I'm New here

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Hearing and Speech Impairments LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 15th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi to everyone,

Both of my twins are delayed in speech. Neither one of them says any words at almost 23 mths (they were born at 36 weeks so they weren't early). Reagan will make the sound Baa if I make it and she growls like a tiger if I ask her too. Nathan just babbles and won't repeat any sounds. Nate is also delayed in everything but Gross Motor skills. He rarely responds to his name and hasn't learned any tasks like "put the cup on the table". He does seem to hear though because he will identify body parts (when he is in the mood) when I ask him too without me pointing them out. He also does body movements to songs without me doing the moves.

Anyway,
We have moved 4 times in the past 16 months and I had a baby 2 months ago, so I have not been really great about spending quality time working on speech or other things. I did contact EI but it took forever because we moved out of state right after I got an appointment so I had to contact a new program in the state we moved to. When we moved I was 34 weeks preggo and trying to find a new OB that would take me because I was High Risk so I didn't get around to scheduling the EI evaluation until the day after Riley was born. We ended up only having about 4 EI visits before we moved again to the other side of the state. So I am supposed to call EI out here but we have only been here for 2 weeks and I am struggling with unpacking, taking care of 2 month old and getting ready for Christmas so I thought I would wait until after Christmas to set up EI again.

I just feel terrible that my two toddlers are so far behind and I feel like it is all my fault . We did these 4 moves for my DH's job and I think we are done moving for awhile thank goodness. No matter how busy I have been I feel like that is no excuse for not being on top of my childrens' needs and I jsut feel like crap right now.

Thanks for listening.

[/COLOR]Nathan(6), Reagan(6), Riley(5), Kaycee(3)

Our Blog

December 18th, 2008, 08:36 AM
RainyDay's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Don't beat yourself up over this. Your life has been pretty hectic with 4 moves and a new baby. Just try to make it a priority to set up your appts after the new year. They probably won't be able to fit you in until then anyway. In the meantime, do what you can to work with them at home.

We didn't even begin the process with my son until after his 2nd birthday. We held off thinking he may be a late talker like I was, but when he still hadn't made progress by 2 yrs, we went to a speech therapist for an evaluation. And unfortunately, we live in a heavily populated county, so from the time I called EI to the time he had his first session with one of their speech therapists it had been 3.5 months! Hopefully things will go much more quickly for you.

December 30th, 2008, 12:38 PM
ZaydensMomma's Avatar Aaron Nicole
with RainyDay... things happen. At least you are acknowledging you need to re-prioritize your twins' needs. Good luck!!!
March 7th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
A little update on us.

We got the EI therapy started. Reagan qualified for speech and Nate qualified for speech, OT and DV. At his first OT appointment we talked a lot about autism. I made an appointment to have him evaluated and he was diagnosed with PDD-NOS which is on the autism spectrum. He was given a prescription for 6 more hours of therapy. We are still going through a mess of emotions but trying to work through them so that we can move on and get as much help as possible for Nathan.

I don't think that Reagan has an ASD so we are still just doing speech for her. Still not much progress except for a few animal sounds but she is progressing so that is good.

Our Blog

March 7th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Oops double post

Our Blog

Last edited by cnote; March 8th, 2009 at 04:26 AM. Reason: Oops double post

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search