Missed this board!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Hearing and Speech Impairments LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 30th, 2008, 12:34 PM
ZaydensMomma's Avatar Aaron Nicole
Hello there! I overlooked this board and I've been active JM member since 2006!

I just want to say you all are brave mommies on this board trying everything for your children!

I am culturally Deaf and used to have cochlear implant at age 11 and stopped using it at 18 due to several reasons. I grew up mainstreamed and had YEARS of INTENSE speech therapy. I can lipread but I use ASL as my native language. I'm an active member in the Deaf Community. I am a student at Gallaudet University majoring in American Sign language as my 2nd BA and will finish up my grad school at McDaniel College getting my Deaf Education degree so I can teach ASL to deaf/hearing children/people/anyone who wants to learn ASL.

I have tons of experience in speech therapy. It helps a lot people but when it comes to deaf, it's a lot harder but practice makes perfect. For me, it was really hard and my mother kept me going til 18 and I stopped. I have accepted myself a deaf person not hearing impaired.

Good luck to all of you!

December 30th, 2008, 01:45 PM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
Thanks for swinging by the board, hon! And, as a mom to a deaf baby, I want to say thank you for all the hard work you are doing to become a deaf educator. It is perhaps a less known and appreciated field on the whole, but you enrich so many lives - both of those who are deaf and those who are hearing and want to learn to a new language and open so many doors into the deaf community! I'm sorry about your difficult journey through CI and speech therapy.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
December 31st, 2008, 03:58 PM
Dibble's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi and welcome to the board. I'm Cheryl, a speech-language pathologist. I took a sign language class when I was in college and thoroughly enjoyed it. I've forgotten alot of the signs though because I have no one to sign to here. I used to attend a ASL club where I went to college but they signed so fast I couldn't keep up!

~Thank you GraysMama for my beautiful siggy~

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search