We are just starting...

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Hearing and Speech Impairments LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 15th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Decemberhill's Avatar Nicole
I was referred to this board...and I am so glad to have found it. I feel like I am going at this so blindly...and it's so nice to read other stories and see people who have dealt with this before!

My daughter will be 2 in July. She failed her 1 year hearing test, and 6 weeks later failed again. They referred her for an ABR test. She had that test done 3 weeks ago...where we found out she has severe hearing loss in her left ear...she can't hear anything under 85 decibels. Her right ear seems to be ok...with just certain soft pitches not being heard. The loss is permanent as well...her ear drum is functional. She is in the process of getting a hearing aid...it all starts tomorrow. But they warned me that the whole process takes 2-3 months. She doesn't have her ENT appt until the first week of May...and here, they are the people who actually write the prescription for the hearing aid. They will be doing a CT scan to rule out things. What things I'm not real sure as the ear is a whole new thing to me. She will be starting speech therapy, but not until she has the hearing aid. (She might start sooner, it depends on the EFMP...as we are active duty military).

Layla was only born 4 weeks early, due to complete placenta previa. She failed her first hearing test the day after she was born, but when they retested her the next day, they said she passed. Which we have now determined they just wrote her off. It's just frustrating to know that this has gone on so long when it could have been taken care of early on. She is almost 2 and can only say 2 maybe 3 words. Mama being one that she uses for EVERYTHING! She has had a few other problems. She has torticollis, which they said could be linked, but we doubt it since the overgrown sternocleidmastoid was on the other side.

So that is the basis of our situation. I have heard horror stories with getting a hearing aid through Tricare and I am scared to death this process is going to be prolonged. I just want her to be able to catch up!

Mom to Ava (8) and Layla (6). Bennett Scott due May 19, 2014!
April 16th, 2009, 09:51 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
I'm so glad you came by, hon! I hope everything goes smoothly with the hearing aid process; our ENT was really good about writing the scrip for us right away. Once it gets to Tricare, call and pester as often as you feel like! I asked up front with insurance how long it "should" take, and as soon as it hit that time period, I was calling weekly. I figure either the squeaky wheel would get the grease, so to say, or they would get so annoyed with me they'd take care of it to get rid of me.

The CT scan will look at the make up of the ear, make sure that everything past the ear drum is developed properly. I know it is all very new to you right now, but you will learn. It can be a lot to understand, though... My best advice is to never be afraid to ask questions if you don't completely understand!

We were doing speech therapy before Danny got his aids and, later, implants. I found it was helpful, to be honest, because we had some time to discuss things without as much focus being on Danny himself - my husband and I learned a lot that we were able to put to use immediately once he started hearing. I honestly think that is why he has done so well so quickly ... we were able to hit the ground running.

I'm rooting for you guys!

Oh, I wanted to share this link as well: Deaf Village
It is a collect of blogs of people with hearing loss and parents of kids with hearing loss. There is all manner of methods used, sign language, hearing aids, cochlear implants, and any mix of the three. You might be able to find some more stories there, I know it's been a huge resource to me just to know other people have been where I'm at!

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
April 16th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Decemberhill's Avatar Nicole
Thanks again for all the information! I am HORRIBLE at waiting...and even better at bugging! That was the only reason she got in so quick for her ABR...I pestered until I got the Children's Hospital in San Diego rather than the Naval Hospital. We are working with 2 different Audiologists right now. So I'm hoping that having a Military Dr and a Civilian Dr will really help in the long run to get this process over with quickly.

Mom to Ava (8) and Layla (6). Bennett Scott due May 19, 2014!
April 16th, 2009, 10:40 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
That is fabulous! I'm glad you've got a good team to get this ball rolling. I'm horrible at waiting as well...but also pretty horrible at bugging. Or at least, I was; having a deaf child teaches you real quick how to be a strong advocate, haha.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
May 29th, 2009, 01:40 PM
mousemomof3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to mousemomof3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decemberhill View Post
Thanks again for all the information! I am HORRIBLE at waiting...and even better at bugging! That was the only reason she got in so quick for her ABR...I pestered until I got the Children's Hospital in San Diego rather than the Naval Hospital. We are working with 2 different Audiologists right now. So I'm hoping that having a Military Dr and a Civilian Dr will really help in the long run to get this process over with quickly.

Just curious to see how things are going with your lil one now?

May 29th, 2009, 01:43 PM
mousemomof3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to mousemomof3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decemberhill View Post
I haven't seen you for a while so was curious how things were going with your lil one

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search