First Hearing Aid Appt Today

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Hearing and Speech Impairments LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 16th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Decemberhill's Avatar Nicole
Layla had her first appt in the process of getting her hearing aid today! It's going to take forever...at least 3 months. Hopefully she will have it by her 2nd birthday. Today was more of an appt for me...alot of information to take in. She will have about 10 more appts before she gets the hearing aid. There are so many different places that we have to go back and forth to. Since we are working with a Military Audiologist and a Civilian Audiologist...we constantly have to go back to the military one for authorizations. Not to mention dealing with Tricare...they like to loose information!

But all in all...I feel really good. I like both of her Drs and they really seem to be going above and beyond for her. Her paperwork has been filed for the hearing aid, now ENT just has to sign off on it. From there she will have 2 more ABR's done and a handful more of tests done to get frequencies and those types of things recorded so they know what to do with the hearing aid. She will be getting an FM Transmitter...it's a microphone device that we wear...and then there is an attachment for her hearing aid...that way she can hear us clearly when we are reading or in the car without the background noise. It will be more handy when she starts school...the teacher will wear it so that Layla can hear her clearly and not get caught up with noise in the classroom.

Later on they might consider her for a cochlear implant, but that all depends on how her good ear holds up. If her right ear stays as good as it is now...she won't need one...but if it too starts getting loss they will consider it. I'm not too sure how I feel about that...but I don't need to focus on that.

Jason and Ava are having genetic testing done to see if this could be hereditary. Jason's side of the family has quite a bit of hearing loss. They also think it is connected to her Torticollis. I'm not sold on that idea since her overgrown muscle was on the opposite side. Oh well. I'm just happy that this is moving forward and I am going to do everything possible to push it forward as quick as I can!

Mom to Ava (8) and Layla (6). Bennett Scott due May 19, 2014!
April 19th, 2009, 05:50 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
That sounds like a GREAT appointment! I know it's frustrating that it is going to take so long to get through the process - we had 3 months between finding out about Danny and getting his hearing aids too, and for us we knew the whole time they were just a step to go through toward cochlear implants. I really hope she does great with it, though! I'm glad they are getting her a FM system right away, that will be a huge help as well.

Please keep us posted as things go! I can't imagine all the extra tests that would be needed with a single side loss, to be able to see where that ear is without the other "helping."

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
April 30th, 2009, 12:44 PM
mousemomof3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to mousemomof3
It is frustrating the waiting time for anything these days its rediculas.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search