Again

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Hearing and Speech Impairments LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 19th, 2011, 10:51 AM
SandKmommy's Avatar Seamus and Kieran's Mommy
I knew that Kieran's speech wasn't right. Seamus, who has an articulation disorder and is also speech delayed (6-9mo so not huge on that), had more words that we could understand at the same age Kieran is. Seamus' ST knew that Kieran had issues too, after all she saw Kieran every time Seamus has an appt, but we had to wait till 18mo to see her. Finally at almost 20mo we get in(had to wait on the list a while). Her receptive language was really high, but her spoken was very low. She has around 10-12 words, most are similar sounding, but she only uses 3-4 or so a day. She can get the sound pitches in a word which the ST says is good, but she doesn't get the correct sound, jsut the fact that words go open and down kid of like aa-een for open and such(but she only mimics others).
Her Early Head Start has tried to test her hearing a few times now, since she's had 5 ear infections in 1.5yrs (3 of them being since September). She always fails the test because she hates the things being put in her ears and tries to mess with them. Her ST is now thinking that she could have some hearing loss and thats why she's not picking up on words and so many sound the same. She's also been humming instead of talking which the ST said could be because she hears herself better that way though the bones.

I love our pedi, all I have to do is ask for a referral and we get it, after all we've been though with Seamus over the last 4˝yrs, their pedi knows that if I'm worried its for good reason. I just finally called the ENT (thought they would call me) that the referral was sent to and we go on the 31st to test her hearing in the sound booth. I'm hoping its nothing but if it is an issue I want it caught now. She's picking up on some sign language the ST is teaching her fairly fast so thats helping us communicate some (more, please and all done. Sometime she does ball and we're working on book and open).

I just feel like I did something wrong to have both kids with some sort of Issue. I'm glad Kieran doesn't have all the other issues Seamus does (She had an OT appt and is at 25+mo with her fine motor things and on target with gross from EHS tests, so thats a ton of weight off me).

March 20th, 2011, 07:58 PM
peimum's Avatar life blows sometimes.
Send a message via MSN to peimum Send a message via Skype™ to peimum
I hear ya! We recently figured out that Nicola has the same problem as Alina. I knew that Nicola was not talking much, but I did not connect the two, because I kept thinking of her as my little baby and that she is not supposed to talk yet. Then I think back to Gabriella, speaking in sentences at her 1st birthday..... Nicola is almost two and only says about4 words clearly. The ENT may be scheduling Alina and Nicola for ear surgery on the same day, one right after the other..... This will be round two for Alina, and she did awesome the first time! Nicola has another hearing test tomorrow.... it will determine what the next step is with her. I hope you guys get it all sorted out! I'll be watching for an update on the 31st!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search