BFing Multiples

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 2nd, 2008, 12:11 PM
Hi Ladies, can you tell me if there is a book or site for How to Breastfeed? I have 3 children 20, 16, and 12 and with each of them I only "lasted" about a week.

I am expecting twins in December and I want to BF. I am much wiser and prayerfully more patient yet I don't even know where to begin, how to prepare or what to expect.. I just need to be educated.

any insight is so appreciated!

Thanks!!
May 2nd, 2008, 12:32 PM
mighttyjomomma
Well, first off I want to tell you it IS possible, just takes a lot of dedication and patience!

The key is finding a groove, some people feed one at a time, some people feed two at a time.. I myself did two when needed, but usually only did one at a time. There are new support pillows out to help with nursing twins (I don't know the name, but I know someone will chime in with it for me! ).. look up support groups and attend a breastfeeding class... I was very close to my La Leche League consultants, and they helped so so much!

Best of luck!
May 2nd, 2008, 12:47 PM
Thank you! I will soak up all the information I can get.

My plan is to be home until they are approx. 6 months then it will be back to work and they will be taken care of by my sister..

Maybe someone who has also gone back to work can give me some insight and wisdom.

Your daughter is adorable by the way.
May 2nd, 2008, 12:53 PM
mighttyjomomma
Thank you!

I went back to work when my oldest was 5 months, and she weaned herself at 6 months, I was devastated! With the twins I stayed home and nursed them all the way to a year, I was so proud! I am still home with them, but I flat out don't trust daycares anymore.
May 2nd, 2008, 01:22 PM
I can soooo understand that.
May 2nd, 2008, 03:15 PM
Lcoots's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I breastfed all my kids, so nursing the twins really wasn't bad. I did find that I nursed them seperately more than I nursed them at the same time. Unless they were both screamin for boob juice at the same time.

Get a GOOD twin nursing pillow. I really liked mine and it made nursing much easier.

I dont have any book recommendations, but wanted to say when the LLL ladies come to visit you in the hospital ask them all kinds of questions and have them watch you latch the baby or babies on.

One of the most important things is a good latch, that can make or break breastfeeding..

GL to you
May 3rd, 2008, 07:15 AM
Jara's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just wanted to offer verbal support! as I have nothing else to offer here.

I was never successful nursing any of my children. Kaeden for 5 weeks and the twins for 3. (I just never produced much milk)

I think a lot of the MoM's on another board used 'my breast friend, and the EZ 2 nurse pillows...

Wyatt(5) Lydia(2) Emerson(5) Kaeden(7)
May 3rd, 2008, 08:33 AM
mighttyjomomma
I knew someone would know the name of it!
May 3rd, 2008, 10:20 AM
Lcoots's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have the EZ 2 nurse pillow and its great..I have the foam one..

There are herbal supplements that you can take to boost milk supply if you feel its suffering. I know I had to supplement from the begining (girls were jaundice) so I think that really hurt my supply. I just recently stopped nursing (about 2 weeks) Theyve always had bottles, but they wre getting bm from me so that made me happy. But Ive since dried up and the supplements werent helping anymore due to me dieting and trying to lose weight...

Just do what you can, dont put any limitations or expectations on yourself. Just take it one day at a time
May 3rd, 2008, 12:03 PM
lilly_&_hunter's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
After my babies NICU stay - I never tried Bfing. I pump - seems like I pump all day, everyday At least my little ones are getting "Mommy's Milk".

I bought the books - Mothering Multiples and Yes, You can Breastfeed Twins.

Mothering Multiples is written by the LaLeche League. The other book is from a twin mommy - it was really good!
May 3rd, 2008, 12:54 PM
Thank you for sharing! This is valuable information! I'm going to find those and like books.
May 4th, 2008, 12:48 PM
mom2my3boyz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mom2my3boyz Send a message via Yahoo to mom2my3boyz
This is a good book: Mothering Multiples: Breastfeeding and Caring for Twins or More! (La Leche League International Book). I would also recommend joining a BF'ing support group. Most hospitals have them. And if the hospital has a lactation consultant, take advantage of that. Those are the things that helped me. The boys' pediatrician also had a lactation consultant on staff.
May 5th, 2008, 05:40 AM
mighttyjomomma
I have to kind of laugh at this, my lactation consultant with my firstborn was seriously so helpful and I loved her! I went to the groups every Friday and just love loved it! I gave birth to the twins in a different hospital and that lady was kind of weird (and even admitted it! ) ... I mean I'm not really shy when it comes to 'the girls' because that's my kids food supply, but this woman was so in your face!! And she'd grab them puppies like no ones business!
May 5th, 2008, 06:59 AM
Super Mommy
My advice is to stick with it until 4 months. Make that your goal. I found with all of mine and especially the twins that around 3 months BF suddenly gets a ton easier and I really really enjoyed it after that. Up until that time I somewhat enjoyed it but sometimes I was tired of it. So if you make it to 4 months exclusively BF you will probably stick with it for the long haul. With my oldest I quit BF at 4 months when I went back to work and I totally regretted it. Up until that point I was giving him more formula and less boobie all the time until he was off the boob at 4 months and I have always regretted it. My SIL had trouble with my niece who couldn't get the hang of latching on right even though she hired a lactation consultant who came to her house regularly but instead of giving up she exclusively pumped. She went back to work and would pump at work and her daughter never had formula despite not being able to bf. As for BF twins, one thing I used to do that gave me a break was every night around 10 or 11 I would pump and my body got used to it and it got so I would get 14-16 ounces at that time! It was awesome. Anyway I would fix one bottle of about 4-5 ounces depending how much the babies were eating per feeding and I would leave it on DH nightstand. Breastmilk is good for 8 hours at room temperature if it was never in the fridge. The rest I would put in the fridge for the next day. When the first baby would wake up in the night I would BF and the second one DH would give that bottle to. Then during the day I would BF 1 and give the other a bottle. It worked out easier that way for me because even with the EZ2 nurse pillow I found it hard to feed them both at once. I would put a carseat on the couch or floor next to me on the opposite side I was BF and hold the bottle with my free hand for the baby in the carseat.

May 5th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Jeb-O's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jeb-O Send a message via Yahoo to Jeb-O
Quote:
And she'd grab them puppies like no ones business! [/b]
That would weird me out.

May 5th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Super Mommy
My lactation consultants weren't like that, but there was this nursing instructor who would grab me all over the place! She would never let me get them to latch on myself which I think is one of the major reasons I quit too early. Tell me how to do it or show me once, but don't do it for me everytime!

Visit my blog

</div>
May 6th, 2008, 07:12 AM
mommyoffive's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
This is a good book: Mothering Multiples: Breastfeeding and Caring for Twins or More! (La Leche League International Book). I would also recommend joining a BF'ing support group. Most hospitals have them. And if the hospital has a lactation consultant, take advantage of that. Those are the things that helped me. The boys' pediatrician also had a lactation consultant on staff.[/b]

I had that book and if my twins had not just recently riped it to shreds I would of sent it to you LOL Sorry!! What can I say the toddler years are interesting.

I had this pillow
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2267436
It was awesome I slept with it while pg and it even was awesome after my c-section. I could easily breastfeed 2 at a time with this pillow. I had no help after Dh went back to work so this made it easier to be independant.
I only went to 4 months, I couldn't keep up with thier 24hour milk bar demand and it got a bit overwelming. My older children really wanted my attention too.
May 6th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Msfit dolly that sounds like how I would like to do it. Thank you!

You all are a wealth of information! I definately will go and buy that pillow!
May 6th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Jill0924's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jill0924
I just started breast feeding my little one (my girls were born really early and only one is ready to learn how to bf) and the lactation consultant has me using a breast shield - it's like putting a bottle nipple on me! It is kinda strange, but it helps her latch on especially since her mouth is so little!

May 7th, 2008, 08:40 AM
mommyoffive's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wanted to add, get a boat load of that stuff you put on for sore nipples. Also football hold worked so my nipples were not that sore!! Your lactation lady will know what stuff I mean, its safe for babies and keeps them from cracking. I swear its sent from heaven it works so good.

I failed bf with my first and second and the twins came I was determined... I was successful

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search