Annoyed with questions...

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 2nd, 2008, 12:27 PM
Jeb-O's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jeb-O Send a message via Yahoo to Jeb-O
Why is it that everyone asks if my twins are "paternal" or "maternal" instead of "fraternal!!!!" I don't even know if they're fraternal or identical, but it's annoying that people don't even know what they're asking!!!! How can so many people mix up those words?!!

May 2nd, 2008, 12:34 PM
mamma2petunia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via ICQ to mamma2petunia Send a message via AIM to mamma2petunia Send a message via Yahoo to mamma2petunia
people can be so dense! Mine are boy/girl . . . obviously fraternal . . . but you'd be surprised how many people would ask me if they were identical!! I'd be like, well possibly, until you get to the diaper area!!

<span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS"><div align="center">Thanks Jolene for my beautiful siggie!!</div></span>
May 2nd, 2008, 12:34 PM
mighttyjomomma
Ooooh Jessica... you'd be surprised at some of the questions you will be asked once they are HERE.

Hang in there hun. ((hugs))
May 2nd, 2008, 12:51 PM
Not looking forward to more questions as obnoxious as these.

May 3rd, 2008, 07:10 AM
Jara's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh Jessica! Just wait until they get here.. it only gets worse!!

My twins are B/G and it get thee 'are they identical' question all the time! I just want to so.. Did you even look at them before you asked me that? As you can see from my Siggy.. They look NOTHING alike!

And I"M SOOOOOOOOO tired of You must be busy, You have your hands full!

Thankfully we have each other to vent too!!

Wyatt(5) Lydia(2) Emerson(5) Kaeden(7)
May 3rd, 2008, 08:32 AM
mighttyjomomma
Busy??? Us??? Nooooo!

My favorite was probably "Were you pregnant with them at the same time?"
May 3rd, 2008, 10:28 AM
Lcoots's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I dont get annoyed with the questions, people are curious, and for those that dont know its Fraternal and not maternal, its our job as twin mommas to straighten it out for em..lol

Ya know that old saying, There's no such thing as a dumb question? Or you have to ask questions to learn things?

I just look at it like htat..i get the are the ID all the time, but everyone says they look alike. I don't see it but Im wth them 24/7.

I do hate the you ahve your handsful comment..Dont they think I know that? lol I mean I have 7 kids for pete's sake..lol Im always busy and my hands are always holding someone.

Just take a breath. It does get worse once the babies are here and it doesn't matter their gender someone will always get it wrong or ask if they are ID..lol
May 3rd, 2008, 03:29 PM
Your right I shouldn't let it get to me, it's just annoying!! And ALREADY when people ask what I'm having and they find out it's two boys they say "Oh you'll have your hands full." Gee, thanks for pointing that out...

May 3rd, 2008, 03:39 PM
Super Mommy
The hands full comment will never go away! I get it all the time, especially at the grocery store. I put Connor in the cart and wear Paige in the Snugli. Besides millions of smiles, I always get the "Oh boy, you've got your hands full" at least once!

Visit my blog

</div>
May 3rd, 2008, 03:40 PM
It seems so strange to me because I would NEVER say that to someone else!!

May 3rd, 2008, 04:00 PM
Diggy's Avatar Regular
Send a message via MSN to Diggy Send a message via Yahoo to Diggy
The only question that bothers me much lately is when I'm at the store and someone asks me "Are they boys or girls?" while the boys are in outfits that clearly scream Boy!
May 3rd, 2008, 08:34 PM
sonnetjie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have always been one of those people that only looked at people with more than one baby in awe, from a distance. I always think they are busy enough as it is...hehehe... I'm still getting used to people just talking to me for no reason except for that I have two babies. But I do miss it if I am out with only one or without them... Makes me feel special.

]
May 4th, 2008, 05:58 AM
Super Mommy
My all time favorite... "Twins? Are they both yours?"

Ummm, no!

Visit my blog

</div>
May 4th, 2008, 07:29 AM
CrystalMay's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh but yes, it gets WAY worse!!!

Ohh are they twins...

"yes yes they are"

Are they both yours?

UMM???
May 4th, 2008, 07:38 AM
LisaB's Avatar Mom to twins + 1
Send a message via Yahoo to LisaB
I can't believe "maternal" & "paternal" twins....

I'm just happy when people don't comment on how BIG my belly is! I get that comment every single time, seriously. When are you due? REALLY? You're huge! I can understand hearing it from the occasional person, but everyone?? Have these people ever met women before? For the record, we DON'T like to be reminded of our large physique!

Me: Lisa, Mommy to twins +1
8/5/08 Beautiful twin girls Leigh and Lucy born after 4-year struggle with RPL & 6 losses
12/10/09 Surprise! Baby #3 is on the way, EDD 6/22/10

12/29/09 2nd ultrasound - joining team blue

6/16/10 Baby Ben is born!

May 4th, 2008, 10:35 AM
mom2my3boyz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mom2my3boyz Send a message via Yahoo to mom2my3boyz
Get used to it! It will only get worse! I can't count the number of times I have been asked, "Are you're twins fraternal or identical?" Then when I tell them they are identical they ask, "Do twins run in your family?" Then I have to explain that either A) I'm adopted and don't know. OR B) It doesn't matter b/c identical twins have nothing to do with a genetic predisposition to having twins! Yesterday someone asked me how old Kendric was. I said 2 1/2. Then she asked how old his brother (who looks EXACTLY like him!) was. I said, "They're twins." A lady acrossed from me just smiled. I think she realized how dumb the question was. I have gotten all sorts of weird questions and they really haven't stopped as the boys get older. If anything, I get more questions now.
May 4th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Super Mommy
There is always one person when I go out, too, that either is a twin or has twins. I never knew it was that prevalent, but twins or twin moms are more open to talking to me about the babies.

Visit my blog

</div>
May 5th, 2008, 05:52 AM
mighttyjomomma
Oh yes, don't you love when they can 'relate' to you?

"Oh my sister's boyfriend's mother's daughter has twins too! They are alike in every way, right down to the dreams they both have every night!"

Riiiiight.

I don't mean to sound so bitter about it, because really I'm not that kind of person at ALL, and I know they are just curious, but I do think they should think about what they are asking before they ask, KWIM?

Oh and don't feel bad Lucas, it looked like my girls puked pink all over themselves and Kaleigh was still mistaken for a boy (poor kid was bald). That was right before the "Aww, identical twins! Is this one a boy?"

May 6th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Jill0924's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jill0924
Quote:
My all time favorite... "Twins? Are they both yours?"

Ummm, no![/b]

I saw onsies the other day that said big sister and little sister - I am tempted to get those for the girls when they obviously look the same age just to make people wonder - heck if we have to deal with the questions we might as well have a little fun with it! http://www.cafepress.com/buy/twins/-/sourc...archBox/x_0/y_0 check out cafe press - they had some funny t-shirts that answer the "qestions" before they are asked!

May 6th, 2008, 05:38 PM
mighttyjomomma
My pediatrician said I might as well order a special shirt that says "Yes they are twins, no they are not identical and we are running late!"

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search