Newborn Feeding

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 24th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Just out of curiosity wondering what you BTDT ladies did for feeding your newborns. Were you able to get your twins on a schedule? Did any cluster feed? Did you BF, supplement, bottle feed, all, etc?
I have something set up with my lactation consultant and am breastfeeding for the most part and things are going wonderfully.

June 24th, 2009, 09:03 PM
tundrababy's Avatar Mega Super Twin Mommy
We b/f with some supplementing the first couple of weeks and now the boys get EBM. At first there really was no schedule - just one rule - if one was eating then the other had to eat as well. It just takes up too much time to feed each baby on demand, so it didn't matter who was hungry first or if they were cluster feeding, they both got fed. Its the same way with naps. And now at almost 5mos we are just starting to get hang of an actual schedule.

Great job on b/f'ing!!!! What a great thing you are doing for your babies..

June 25th, 2009, 05:23 AM
Jara's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I BF'd with formula supplements for the first 3 weeks.. then went to formula only ( I have issues with making enough milk)

I did the same as Jen... when one ate we fed the one.. same with naps.. this really helped them to get same schedule.

Wyatt(5) Lydia(2) Emerson(5) Kaeden(7)
June 25th, 2009, 06:48 AM
LynneD's Avatar Super Mommy
Wow, from reading so many posts on twins feedings, I feel like I am the only one who doesn't feed my twins at the same time anymore. Now I'm nervous this could be trouble later! When they first came home it was easy to do that. One would wake up first and we or I would feed that one then the other one. Now I find it difficult to do that. Sometimes they are hungry at the sametime, but I almost dread that. It is so stressful when I am feeding one and the other is fussing or crying. I don't do well with feeding them at the exact same time (btw, I am bottle feeding them preemie formula). Am I setting myself up for trouble later? I'm thinking they'll end up on the same schedule eventually. Yesterday they were completely off from eachother, but today they woke up one right after the other and ate one right after the other and now are both sleeping. The rest of the day will probably be a free for all. Down the road I really need them to be on the same nap schedule or I'll never be able to leave the house but right now there is no schedule (they were 9 weeks early so they are still only about 2 months adj. age and 4 months actual).

June 25th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Heatherjfitz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynneD View Post
Wow, from reading so many posts on twins feedings, I feel like I am the only one who doesn't feed my twins at the same time anymore. Now I'm nervous this could be trouble later! When they first came home it was easy to do that. One would wake up first and we or I would feed that one then the other one. Now I find it difficult to do that. Sometimes they are hungry at the sametime, but I almost dread that. It is so stressful when I am feeding one and the other is fussing or crying. I don't do well with feeding them at the exact same time (btw, I am bottle feeding them preemie formula). Am I setting myself up for trouble later? I'm thinking they'll end up on the same schedule eventually. Yesterday they were completely off from eachother, but today they woke up one right after the other and ate one right after the other and now are both sleeping. The rest of the day will probably be a free for all. Down the road I really need them to be on the same nap schedule or I'll never be able to leave the house but right now there is no schedule (they were 9 weeks early so they are still only about 2 months adj. age and 4 months actual).

I don't feed at the same time! I bottle feed as well. I have tubular breasts and didn't produce enough milk for even one baby. Even after 2 solid weeks of nursing around the clock and pumping, I never got engorged, or produced more then 8cc's from a breast. It really sucked because I was counting on breastfeeding! Bottle feeding is so hard to do at the same time! I tried for a while but with Bella gulping air and having acid reflux I decided it wan't good for her. Alyssa sleeps about an hour longer then Bella so they feed about an hour or 40 minutes apart in the mornings. (So I have a feeding every hour). That is until nap time though. They both nap at different times too. Alyssa is the more typical baby that naps after a feeding, but Bella doesn't because of her reflux. I have to hold her for a while first. So because they nap differently they actually get closer in schedule by evening. Then at their night time feeding...my husband and I feed them both at the same time and put them to bed. It does make it difficult to leave the house, but I can't make alyssa live on Bella's schedule because it's crazy, and making Bella do ANYTHING is out of the question. lol. So for now I am just going with it. I only go places with people.

June 25th, 2009, 01:54 PM
*Mandy*'s Avatar Co-Host Moms of Multiples
Send a message via AIM to *Mandy*
I'm no help on the feeding yet.But i just wanted to say how happy i'am for you that everything seems to be going so well!You give me hope!LOL

I can't wait to see new pics of the twins!
June 27th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to sisteen
My twins were in the NICU for 8 day and then came home. I did EBF. They didn't cluster feed either. I do agree with Jen that if you are going to bf it is so much easier to feed them at the same time. Just football hold. I put them on a schedule. I was very blessed with GREAT twins. They slept like champs and still do!!

June 27th, 2009, 10:09 PM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I can't believe any twins moms feed on different schedules! That would drive me crazy. When I first brought mine home, we breastfed, formula fed, pumped every 3 hours. If I did not feed them at the same time, I would have gotten zero sleep. As it was, I wasn't getting very much. I also did not produce much of anything, so eventually after a couple of months, went to just formula. I was on a 3 hour feeding schedule for awhile, so I always fed them together.

You have the EZ2Nurse pillow right? If not, that is a MUST HAVE when breastfeeding. For just bottle feeding, I got 2 of the Boppy Newborn Loungers and put one on each side of me on the couch.

June 29th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My NICU babes have been on a 3hourly feeding schedule for months now, they demand feed, but we wake the 2nd one up, but usually don't have to-he'll wake on his own within ten mins of the other. We would get absolutely no sleep if they weren't on the same schedule, as it is I get four hours of broken sleep each night...

Lucky mother to five!

June 29th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Heatherjfitz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayandsofiasmommy View Post
I can't believe any twins moms feed on different schedules! That would drive me crazy. When I first brought mine home, we breastfed, formula fed, pumped every 3 hours. If I did not feed them at the same time, I would have gotten zero sleep. As it was, I wasn't getting very much. I also did not produce much of anything, so eventually after a couple of months, went to just formula. I was on a 3 hour feeding schedule for awhile, so I always fed them together.

You have the EZ2Nurse pillow right? If not, that is a MUST HAVE when breastfeeding. For just bottle feeding, I got 2 of the Boppy Newborn Loungers and put one on each side of me on the couch.

I'm curious if either of your twins gulp air or have acid reflux? That is the main reason why I feed seperately. Isabella has be held at a pretty steep incline (more then a boppy) and have the bottle firmly held with NO air bubbles or she is in serious pain. Just curious. I tried feeding both at the same time when they were really little, and it just was too hard for her. Plus now that their older they both try to hit the bottle out of my hands! I really think you need both twins to be "feeding problem" free to bottle feed at the same time. Plus I felt so detached. I felt like they didn't get the same bonding experience of looking up into my eyes and being held. Plus twins already have a little less one on one time with mommy. BFing is a different story. If I would have been able to BF I would have been able to do it at the same time. It really is a shame it didn't work out for me. It IS really hard to spend all day feeding etc. I figure it's my sacrifice now, but their babyhood is such a short period of time when you look at the big picture. Feeding time for us has become a really nice "Mommy and me" time. Don't think I could give it up! Especially because Isabella is so demanding otherwise, Alyssa would always be missing out, and I would miss her! Just wanted to put that perspective out there.

June 30th, 2009, 10:55 AM
LynneD's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatherjfitz View Post
I'm curious if either of your twins gulp air or have acid reflux? That is the main reason why I feed seperately. Isabella has be held at a pretty steep incline (more then a boppy) and have the bottle firmly held with NO air bubbles or she is in serious pain. Just curious. I tried feeding both at the same time when they were really little, and it just was too hard for her. Plus now that their older they both try to hit the bottle out of my hands! I really think you need both twins to be "feeding problem" free to bottle feed at the same time. Plus I felt so detached. I felt like they didn't get the same bonding experience of looking up into my eyes and being held. Plus twins already have a little less one on one time with mommy. BFing is a different story. If I would have been able to BF I would have been able to do it at the same time. It really is a shame it didn't work out for me. It IS really hard to spend all day feeding etc. I figure it's my sacrifice now, but their babyhood is such a short period of time when you look at the big picture. Feeding time for us has become a really nice "Mommy and me" time. Don't think I could give it up! Especially because Isabella is so demanding otherwise, Alyssa would always be missing out, and I would miss her! Just wanted to put that perspective out there.
Same for me. I'm bottle feeding as well. Claire is more demanding and has had reflux issues and needs to burp immediately after eating. She can't eat in too much of a sitting or lying position. I also feel so detached feeding them and not holding them. I do like it when one eats right after the other (without crying while the 2nd one waits!) but that doesn't always happen. If I try to feed one when she isn't ready she'll just poke her tongue out to push the bottle away...very stubborn . It will get better when they can hold their own bottles...hopefully that will be earlier than my older dd did (at 12 months)!

June 30th, 2009, 03:39 PM
FoxyJennRN's Avatar Jenn's the name
Send a message via AIM to FoxyJennRN
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayandsofiasmommy View Post

Ditto to this, right down to the boppies on either side of me. I used to hands free pump while I fed each baby a bottle of EBM. LOL. I lasted about 5 months of pumping before I decided I could spend that time with my babies instead of focusing on pumping.
Baby due 10/26

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search