holy shmoly!

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 10th, 2009, 08:35 AM
mama2noah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
at my appt this week, i asked the peri if everything continued to go as well as it has been with the babies, fluid, cervix etc. when would they start thinking of delivering. well she said probably around 35-36 weeks. i was like . so i mentioned it to my OB and he said he wanted to check with her because he wasn't sure why she would want to go that early if they didn't have too. OBs office just called and said that he talked to the peri and apparently there are cases of "unexplained stillbirths with mono twins after 36 weeks or so". our twins are mono/di. so we fall into this "category" i am still like because i was really hoping to go to 38+ if at all possible. has anyone heard of this stat? i had not. i certainly don't want to do anything that could potentially result in a loss but am still hoping maybe they will let me get close to 37 weeks. i want to research a bit, but not sure where to start really.

so part of me is "bummed" because i just worry a bit about delievering at 35-36 weeks and the other part of me is realizing that is like 5-6 weeks from now!! less than 2 months! we still have to sell our house and buy a new one, buy a mini van, i have to get all my maternity leave ducks in a row at work.....oh boy!! i will be 36 weeks on August 20th (which is my birthday) and would prefer not to have them that day. i know i may be weird but i just want them to have their own day and i also get worried about people making a big fuss about how they share their birthday with their mama and my older DS potentially feeling left out b/c of that.

anyway, i am rambling....

July 10th, 2009, 09:34 AM
1+twins's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sorry... What is a "mono" twin? I am new to all this. I don't have advice but wanted to wish you luck. I hope that whatever happens your babies come healthy and happy.

July 10th, 2009, 09:39 AM
mono is identical. the mono/di part means that they share a placenta but are in separate sacs. thanks for the well wishes!

July 10th, 2009, 09:45 AM
kticesk8s's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I actually have heard of this -- stillbirths are greatly increased after 38 weeks for twins of any sort, not sure about your exact situation though with the 36 weeks. To tell you the truth, if my doctor told me that he'd definitely deliver me at 36 weeks, I'd be jumping for joy (I'm unbelievably miserable at 34 1/2 weeks). More than likely your babies will be just fine being delivered at that point and probably won't require a NICU stay.

• Me: 32.:. DH: 30...TTC w/ Male Factor.... BFP! Was triplets! NOW IT'S TWINS!!! 1 BOY, 1 GIRL
  • IVF #1: June '07 BFN
  • IVF #2: Oct '08 BFN
  • DIUI #1: Nov '08 BFP!!! Beta 593 @ 14/15 dpiui!! Beta 1897 @ 16/17 dpiui!!!!!! OMG!
July 10th, 2009, 04:22 PM
TheyGrowLikeWeeds's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to TheyGrowLikeWeeds
My twins were born at 36 weeks by choice. I know that sounds horrible, but I had a bad case of Puppps and the doctors were a bit concerned with how badly I was ripping at myself. Well, they were born at 36 weeks and spent no time in the NICU. They were healthy boys weighing in at 5lbs 14oz, and 6lbs 3oz. So delivering at 36 weeks for twins is not a bad thing. For identicals, it's a higher risk than fraternal or in some cases if the identicals are not sharing a placenta. If they are sharing everything, there is a higher risk as there is less room for them as they grow and they can suffocate one another with their umbilical cords. They do now share their own space, so the earlier they come out at a healthy week, the better. With frats or separated idents, they have their own space and don't choke the other with the umbilical cord, so in that case, it's just a matter of space in your uterus and how long your body can take the weight.

Frats that go beyond 38 weeks do have a higher potential for some serious problems as the body is less likely to take care of them beyond that point. So it's almost always recommended to birth twins at no later than 38 weeks.

I love my Peanut M&Ms Cameron & Kiefer!!Eliza's Blog
July 10th, 2009, 06:12 PM
*Mandy*'s Avatar Co-Host Moms of Multiples
Send a message via AIM to *Mandy*
I'm defiantly asking my OB about this on Monday!I had NO idea!I'm having identical mono/di twins and when he asked me if i had any dates in mind,I mentioned Oct 9th and he said that would only put me at 36 weeks which he doesn't like to do unless there is a reason.
July 11th, 2009, 10:44 AM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If your twins are sharing a placenta it is pretty risky to go until 38 weeks. Plus, you are at a much greater risk for TTTS. I would listen to the peri- they have much more experience w/ high risk twins. Plus, quite honestly, it is very likely you will go into labor around 35/36 weeks anyway.

I was glad and amazed I made it to 37.5 weeks! And mine are fraternal.

Who is delivering you? The peri or OB? I would think that you would be under greater care from the peri at this point.

July 13th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kticesk8s View Post
I actually have heard of this -- stillbirths are greatly increased after 38 weeks for twins of any sort, not sure about your exact situation though with the 36 weeks. To tell you the truth, if my doctor told me that he'd definitely deliver me at 36 weeks, I'd be jumping for joy (I'm unbelievably miserable at 34 1/2 weeks). More than likely your babies will be just fine being delivered at that point and probably won't require a NICU stay.
this may sound weird, but i was glad to see that someone had heard of this. i did a little hunting around online and found some cases and studies that echoed the risk for identicals sharing a placenta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipmunkeyMom View Post
My twins were born at 36 weeks by choice. I know that sounds horrible, but I had a bad case of Puppps and the doctors were a bit concerned with how badly I was ripping at myself. Well, they were born at 36 weeks and spent no time in the NICU. They were healthy boys weighing in at 5lbs 14oz, and 6lbs 3oz. So delivering at 36 weeks for twins is not a bad thing. For identicals, it's a higher risk than fraternal or in some cases if the identicals are not sharing a placenta. If they are sharing everything, there is a higher risk as there is less room for them as they grow and they can suffocate one another with their umbilical cords. They do now share their own space, so the earlier they come out at a healthy week, the better. With frats or separated idents, they have their own space and don't choke the other with the umbilical cord, so in that case, it's just a matter of space in your uterus and how long your body can take the weight.

Frats that go beyond 38 weeks do have a higher potential for some serious problems as the body is less likely to take care of them beyond that point. So it's almost always recommended to birth twins at no later than 38 weeks.
well they are in their own sacs but are sharing a placenta. it is encouraging to hear that they were born at 36 weeks with no issues. i know every experience is different, but still nice to hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayandsofiasmommy View Post
If your twins are sharing a placenta it is pretty risky to go until 38 weeks. Plus, you are at a much greater risk for TTTS. I would listen to the peri- they have much more experience w/ high risk twins. Plus, quite honestly, it is very likely you will go into labor around 35/36 weeks anyway.

I was glad and amazed I made it to 37.5 weeks! And mine are fraternal.

Who is delivering you? The peri or OB? I would think that you would be under greater care from the peri at this point.
the standard operating procedure (no pun intended) for the peri and my OB is that the OB still delivers you. i have seen the peri every 2-3 weeks ever since we found out it was twins. i have seen the OB on the same timeframe just b/c they are in the same building and i was maximizing my drive over there.

i didn't realize TTTS was still an issue after a certain point. knowing that plus what the peri said about "unexplained stillbirth" makes me feel better about a 36 week delivery. i still have a concern about lung functioning and am going to ask them on wednesday if they will want to do steroid shots to be on the safe side.

July 13th, 2009, 03:06 PM
*TornadoJenn*'s Avatar Jenn's the name
Send a message via AIM to *TornadoJenn*
^^ I saw a peri every 2 weeks and my OB delivered me.

Anyway, good luck, and I have a feeling everything will be just fine. 36 weeks is GREAT with twins.

(And my oldest DD and I share a birthday. Its not that bad )

July 13th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Heatherjfitz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2noah View Post
this may sound weird, but i was glad to see that someone had heard of this. i did a little hunting around online and found some cases and studies that echoed the risk for identicals sharing a placenta.

well they are in their own sacs but are sharing a placenta. it is encouraging to hear that they were born at 36 weeks with no issues. i know every experience is different, but still nice to hear!

the standard operating procedure (no pun intended) for the peri and my OB is that the OB still delivers you. i have seen the peri every 2-3 weeks ever since we found out it was twins. i have seen the OB on the same timeframe just b/c they are in the same building and i was maximizing my drive over there.

i didn't realize TTTS was still an issue after a certain point. knowing that plus what the peri said about "unexplained stillbirth" makes me feel better about a 36 week delivery. i still have a concern about lung functioning and am going to ask them on wednesday if they will want to do steroid shots to be on the safe side.

I asked about the steroid shot too. You may be too far along for it...I'm not sure.. They don't do it after a certain week in the third tri. By the time I inquired about one it was too late. What my OB had me do was an amniocentisis. They can check for lung development that way. I had my amnio at 35 weeks and found that both my girls' lungs were mature. My OB did a scheduled C-section at 36 weeks and both girls were fine with no NICU stay at all. Both girls went home with me on Day 4 at the hospital when I was discharged. The amnio wasn't that painful, and it made me feel so much better going into the delivery room knowing that they were probably all right! Good luck! Also... Please tell me you don't have to move before the babies are here! YIKES! I shudder thinking of trying to do anything at 33+ weeks! Getting up to go pee was hard enough! LOL. You have family and friends to help right? Because your babies may find their way to you before 36 weeks for sure if you don't! LOL! KUP!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search