bedtime woes

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 12th, 2009, 10:24 PM
LisaB's Avatar Mom to twins + 1
Send a message via Yahoo to LisaB
Hi ladies, I could use some advice here. My girls are almost 11 months now, and I'm wondering how you get them to bed at night? I have a terrible time unless there's another person here (my husband works 24 hour shifts so sometimes I'm alone). I have them sleeping in separate rooms because otherwise, they wake each other up (one wakes up constantly & cries loudly which wakes the other one up). They get so fussy at night, and if I leave the room to put one to bed, the other is miserable & alone until I get back. What do you do (or did do around 10+ months?)

Me: Lisa, Mommy to twins +1
8/5/08 Beautiful twin girls Leigh and Lucy born after 4-year struggle with RPL & 6 losses
12/10/09 Surprise! Baby #3 is on the way, EDD 6/22/10

12/29/09 2nd ultrasound - joining team blue

6/16/10 Baby Ben is born!

July 12th, 2009, 10:52 PM
TheyGrowLikeWeeds's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to TheyGrowLikeWeeds
I split mine up since about 8 months +/-. They just slept better. They didn't wake each other up if one was fussier that night or woke up earlier than the other in the morning. I got better sleep cause they'd sleep better through the night without the interruptions of the other talking in his sleep. I also liked that if one was not sleeping well, I only had to worry about one baby being up and miserable and not two at the same time.

Maybe you are able to split them up in to two rooms so you can see if they sleep better that way? I don't know if this advice helps you, but I hope you do find a way to work things out. I know hard it is when you are loosing sleep on top of worrying about a fussy baby.

I love my Peanut M&Ms Cameron & Kiefer!!Eliza's Blog
July 13th, 2009, 11:10 PM
*Mandy*'s Avatar Co-Host Moms of Multiples
Send a message via AIM to *Mandy*
Mine aren't here yet but i go through the same thing with my 23 month old most nights,i can't imagine doing it with two.I think doing the separate rooms is a good idea.I hope you can find a way that will work for you so you all can get a good nights sleep!
July 13th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Mine sleep separate as well. Isabel goes to bed around 8:30pm and sleeps all night. She wakes for a bottle around 6:30am and goes back to sleep for another hour or so.

Sebastian wakes up a couple of times through the night. He used to sleep terrible and had to be held all night, but things have gotten a lot better.

I don't think there is much you can do. It's a short stage that will soon pass.

July 14th, 2009, 03:30 PM
FoxyJennRN's Avatar Jenn's the name
Send a message via AIM to FoxyJennRN
Didn't she already say that her twins sleep separate?

Anyway, are they holding their own bottles now, or are you nursing?
I used to hold them both, one on either side of me with my arms wrapped around them.

They DO need to learn patience though. One thing that my twins know well is "just a second" or "hold on a minute." Because this is just the beginning of them needing to wait until you can tend to them. Kwim?

What is your current way of getting them down?
Baby due 10/26

July 14th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Melz's Avatar Team Edward
I have no advise. I just put mine in their crib and they lie down. But I wanted to offer you a ((HUG)) Doing it alone must be so hard!!!!

July 14th, 2009, 11:23 PM
LisaB's Avatar Mom to twins + 1
Send a message via Yahoo to LisaB
Melz, I am so jealous... they just lie down & go to sleep? Please send me some of the water they're drinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2KaylaPlusTwins View Post
Didn't she already say that her twins sleep separate?

Anyway, are they holding their own bottles now, or are you nursing?
I used to hold them both, one on either side of me with my arms wrapped around them.

They DO need to learn patience though. One thing that my twins know well is "just a second" or "hold on a minute." Because this is just the beginning of them needing to wait until you can tend to them. Kwim?

What is your current way of getting them down?
Yes, they are already sleeping separately. Sorry if I wasn't very clear. They can't hold their own bottles yet, and I usually do a combination of nursing/bottle at bedtime.

They basically don't want to be alone around bedtime, which is impossible because I can't put them both down at the same time. They scream hysterically as if I'd abandoned them for life, & this screaming starts the second I start heading out of the room & doesn't stop until I return.

I've tried putting one down while the other is in the room, but they both want to be held, & are too wiggly and big for this (one is 26 lbs) so it just doesn't work for me.

I don't have a current way of getting them down on my own, unless you count letting one cry in an exersaucer or playpen for a half hour while I nurse/rock the other one to sleep. I try to avoid this scenario whenever possible by having a sitter come over at bedtime, but this isn't always possible. Plus is it ridiculous. Other moms can do it, why can't I? What is your secret twin mommies?

Me: Lisa, Mommy to twins +1
8/5/08 Beautiful twin girls Leigh and Lucy born after 4-year struggle with RPL & 6 losses
12/10/09 Surprise! Baby #3 is on the way, EDD 6/22/10

12/29/09 2nd ultrasound - joining team blue

6/16/10 Baby Ben is born!

Last edited by LisaB; July 14th, 2009 at 11:31 PM.
July 15th, 2009, 05:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My DH travels too, this was what I did at that age...

They were in Toddler rocker chairs on the floor and in their PJ's. I gave them their last bottle at the same time, brushed their teeth and then I rocked the toddler chairs until they fell asleep then put them in their crib.

Around 12 mths I decided enough was enough and I started to just put them in their crib awake and let them cry it out (I know not everyone is a fan of CIO). It was so rough for about 4 days. Nathan actually got sick in his crib once from crying. But within a week they stopped fussing and just went to sleep on their own. ....Oh they were in the same room when we did the CIO thing.

best of luck, I remember that time and it is rough but it will get easier.

[/COLOR]Nathan(6), Reagan(6), Riley(5), Kaycee(3)

Our Blog

July 15th, 2009, 07:08 AM
TheyGrowLikeWeeds's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to TheyGrowLikeWeeds
Ugh, I'm blind. I'm sorry. You did say you put them in separate rooms and I totally missed that. I know Cameron used to be a big complainer and would cry like he was being tortured when i wanted to put him to bed. I just let him CIO. It took about a week +/- and it worked. Now he rarely does that and it does not last for more than a few minutes if he tries to pull a crying fit on me. Of course, I do make sure nothing is wrong before I let him CIO, but after my initial check-in, I just let it go. Once he realized that there's no point in crying for me to come back, he just laid down and went to sleep for the rest of the night.

That's really all I can suggest at this time. Once that stops, then they may not wake each other up as much.

I just can't let mine go back to the same room now because they want to play and I want them to sleep. Sometime, one will wake up a little earlier the next morning and I'd rather deal with one awake baby than two. Once 9:30 comes around, both are awake. That works for me.

I hope you find some peace soon!

I love my Peanut M&Ms Cameron & Kiefer!!Eliza's Blog

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search