Delivery Question

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 29th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My doctor wants me to schedule a csection because A is head down, but B is breech. B has been breech a long time, so I doubt she's going to flip prior to delivery. I've tried to mentally prepare myself for a csection, but still am not convinced that's the best route to go.

My doctor mentioned this week that she used to do breech extractions, so I know she's trained in them. I also know she could try to do an internal or external version of B doesn't flip on her own. I don't know if she'll let me refuse a csection if the only reason to have one is B's position. I know there are plenty of other reasons I may end up with a csection besides B's position. At our last u/s, almost 2 weeks ago, B was estimated at only a few grams heavier than A, so I wouldn't have to worry about her being much larger.

I've done a ton of research. Some things convince me I should just go with the csection like she wants and other things basically say it really isn't any safer for B to be born via csection when the only reason for it is her breech position.

Did any of your doctors let you attempt a vaginal delivery if A was head down and B was breech? My Dr. and I have had a few conversations about this, but I feel like she's done more talking and I haven't really stood up for myself. I do know that I have a chance of ending up with a csection to deliver B even if I deliver A vaginally. I kind of feel like if she used to let patients deliver vaginally with B being breech that she should at least let me try.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

July 29th, 2009, 06:07 PM
*TornadoJenn*'s Avatar Jenn's the name
Send a message via AIM to *TornadoJenn*
Well, my baby A was head down, engaged, and perfect. My baby B was breech.

During labor, I asked my Dr "if I was your wife, laying here, what would you tell me to do?" and he said "C-Section." They are NOT allowed to tell us how to deliver, so that's how I got him to tell me his honest opinion. (He had left it up to me the ENTIRE time)

So after delivery, he says to me, there is NO WAY baby B would have came out vaginally. He was in a very weird, frog-like position and he was STUCK. He had to reach in and get him out.

I have learned to go with what the Dr's say. They have seen it all, things I'm sure I could never imagine, and so I leave it to them to make the educated decisions.

Good luck with whatever you decide. The most important thing here is for you to get those babies here, doesn't matter how they get here.

July 29th, 2009, 10:53 PM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My Dr. told me that if B was breech, A was head down, we could still do vaginal- it would be up to me. He is trained in breech extractions. I liked that he was open to that option. I think I would ask her if she has done a lot of breech extractions? I know my Dr. did a few, so it was an option for me. That said, both my girls were head down so I never had to make that decision. I honestly don't know what I would have chosen. I would be scared of having 1 vaginal and then having to have a c-section for the other one. That would not be a fun recovery.

July 30th, 2009, 07:06 AM
tundrababy's Avatar Mega Super Twin Mommy
My OB gave us the go ahead to try vaginally when Baby A was vertex and Baby B was breech - I waived about it for a long time. In the end we had a c/s because Baby B was measured to be over 1/2lb bigger - But after going through that c/s recovery, I would have definitely pushed to have vag delivery - My vaginal delivery was far easier to recover from than my twin c/s -granted it was only one baby though. You just really have to trust your gut on this one, I really struggled and I guess fortunately in the end I didn't have to make that decision.

July 30th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Jara's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If you really want to try for a Vaginal delivery then talk to your Dr about it. I know quite a few MoM's that have successfully delivered their Vertex/Breech babies with ZERO problems.

On that note.. Both of my babies were head down so we were cleared for a vaginal delivery. Baby A was vaginal while baby B ended up being emergency c/s. (she came down cord and arm first, then she was not able to recover from the contractions) In all honestly.. the recovery from my vaginal/ c-section delivery was MUCH easier then my first childs vaginal delivery.

Forgive.. (I forget) will these babies be your first delivery?

Wyatt(5) Lydia(2) Emerson(5) Kaeden(7)
July 30th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Generally Crispy
I was in the same boat, we scheduled the section and I hoped B would turn but in my heart I knew she wouldnt. We ended up going in for an emergency section two weeks earlier than planned which had its benefits because I had no time to prepare for it at all.
July 30th, 2009, 11:20 PM
*Mandy*'s Avatar Co-Host Moms of Multiples
Send a message via AIM to *Mandy*
I'm going through the same thing.Ever since my last appointment i've been going back and forth on what to do.

Are your girls Mono-Di sharing a placenta?Baby A has always been head down and Baby B was always Breech but at my last ultrasound they were both transverse.
July 31st, 2009, 06:26 AM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for the support and info. It's very helpful.

These are my first babies.

They are moni/di sharing a placenta. Their cords insert at almost the exact same spot. We were told if they'd split a day later they'd probably be in the same sac.

I'm checking if my chiropractor will work on me to see if she can get B to flip. I talked to one of her colleagues yesterday. I'm just waiting for a call back. I know they can try to flip one baby, but have no idea if they'll try when there are 2 in there.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

July 31st, 2009, 10:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to sisteen
One of mine was head down also and one was breech. I didn't want to try vaginally. I am glad that I didn't because one of the boys legs were wide open. I couldn't have had them vaginally. I have said it on here before GO C-SECTION!!! I was a very big vaginally person until I had the boys c-section. Yes you miss the bonding when they are first born but you don't have to worry about much. It is not a big deal C-setion vs vaginal.

July 31st, 2009, 10:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to sisteen
One of mine was head down also and one was breech. I didn't want to try vaginally. I am glad that I didn't because one of the boys legs were wide open. I couldn't have had them vaginally. I have said it on here before GO C-SECTION!!! I was a very big vaginally person until I had the boys c-section. Yes you miss the bonding when they are first born but you don't have to worry about much. It is not a big deal C-setion vs vaginal.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search