We're Home!!

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 4th, 2009, 12:55 PM
kticesk8s's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We just got home from the hospital yesterday!! Woohoo!

Here goes the long story! I was sent to L&D for an induction on July 28. I was SO EXCITED, because I'd been feeling pretty miserable, so we ate a meal, went home to grab our stuff, then headed for the hospital.

When I got to the hospital, my cervix was checked and found to be closed but soft, same as the previous check, so they started me on miso. Contractions started pretty soon after, getting up to 1.5 minutes apart, and dilation started slowly. I was offered morphine, which I eventually accepted, and as the nurse was injecting it in my butt, Jasmine's water broke. I didn't need another dose of the miso, so pitocin was started, but after having issues finding Preston on the monitors, ultrasound was done, and he had switched to breech again (Jasmine - lowest baby - still head down). Pitocin, Pitocin, Pitocin. Somewhere in there I got another injection of morphine and had an epidural inserted. I got up to 6 cm, with Jasmine at -1 station, when Preston started showing distress, so terbutalene was administered to stop the contractions. I rested for an hour, and Pit was started again...no progress after a couple of hours, so C-Section was brought up, but me and doc wanted to continue for a little while. Preston started becoming distressed after another Pit increase, so Pit was stopped again, this time no terbutalene was used. During this time, the doc came in and said he wanted to do a Csection. I asked him to try one more time, and he agreed, but said he would be going home to eat some dinner (he was no longer supposed to be working). If progress would be made, he would return. Progress wasn't made - still 6cm, -1 station, and Jasmine was now showing signs of distress.

Off for the Csection (after 33 hours of labor...grrr). The epi wasn't working well enough for a C, so it was removed and a spinal was placed. That didn't work well either, so after a lot of drama and panic, I had to have general. The whole Csection experience was VERY tramatic for me - I don't really want to get into details, because I'm trying to forget about it, but it was awful, and I just about lost it. By the time I was administered the general anesthesia, I was praying to get to sleep NOW!!! The 33 hours in labor was by far more preferable to me than the chaotic 10-15 minutes that I spent awake in the Csection OR.

Both babies were born on July 29, our 3rd wedding anniversary. Jasmine Laurene (6lb, 19inches) arrived at 10:49pm, and Preston Joseph (5lb1oz, 19 inches) made his appearance at 10:50pm. I was able to see Jasmine immediately, but Preston had to go the NICU for pre-surgery testing, so I didn't get to see him until the next day.

The babies are doing really well, and we are home with Jasmine now. Preston had surgery on Saturday for duodenal atresia, caused by an annular pancreas. The surgery went great, and he is recovering nicely, but will be in NICU for another 2 weeks or so. Luckily the atresia was the only problem they found for him. Both twins are feisty little things, so we will definitely have our hands full! Jasmine is a breastfeeding champ, and I've been pumping at each feeding for Preston - he isn't on breastmilk yet, but should be starting that today or tomorrow. Incidentally, if any first time moms have an opportunity to consult lactation consultants in the hospital, TAKE ADVANTAGE. I always figured that it was an instinctual thing, but it isn't, and the advice I received was VERY helpful, hopefully allowing success for me and the two babies.

My recovery has been pretty rough - I didn't have much pain during the first couple of days, but as my abdomen has started shrinking, the pain (from my sagging skin pulling at the incision) has been pretty bad. I really need to get one of those belts to hold everything up! Also the swelling from my feet to my hips is awful, and nothing seems to help much, and it's hard to find time to put my feet up. Thankfully the bleeding is almost finished, which is a good thing, because I have become very anemic. I was offered a blood transfusion in the hospital, but I refused, since I was asymptomic and really preferred to try to correct the problem with supplementation and diet choices instead.

That's it! Looks like our little girl is waking up again... time for some boob action.

Here's me with the babies! Jasmine is on left, Preston on right.

• Me: 32.:. DH: 30...TTC w/ Male Factor.... BFP! Was triplets! NOW IT'S TWINS!!! 1 BOY, 1 GIRL
  • IVF #1: June '07 BFN
  • IVF #2: Oct '08 BFN
  • DIUI #1: Nov '08 BFP!!! Beta 593 @ 14/15 dpiui!! Beta 1897 @ 16/17 dpiui!!!!!! OMG!

Last edited by kticesk8s; August 4th, 2009 at 01:52 PM.
August 4th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Wow!!!! Congrats!!! I'm sorry to hear that your delivery didn't work out like you had hoped, but what a miracle that you delivered 2 beautiful babies!! I definitely second the lactation consultant support, and keep the number handy at home as well... questions and concerns will undoubtedly come up. Kudos to you for BF'ing, as successfull as i was with my first 2 singletons, I must say I'm incredibly nervous about the x2 aspect!
Best of luck to you as you start your parenting journey! Hoping your little boy joins you very soon!!
August 4th, 2009, 01:37 PM
*Mandy*'s Avatar Co-Host Moms of Multiples
Send a message via AIM to *Mandy*
I've been wondering about you!They are BEAUTIFUL!

I'm sorry you had such a rough c-section!I hope your recovery is easy from here on out and i hope Preston continues to heal from the surgery!

Congratulations!
August 4th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Generally Crispy
Wow! Look at those beautiful babies and their full head of hair! Im sorry you had a hard time. Your little ones had good weights! I hope Preston makes a quick recovery and is home with you anf your family soon.
August 4th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to sisteen
Have fun!! Congrats!!

August 4th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
They are beautiful! Congratulations mommy!!!! I also had a traumatic c/s with Nolan, it took awhile to get over it emotionally-I also had really bad swelling afterwards from my hips down-I had it until he was 21 days old then it went away.
August 4th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
They are beautiful! Congratulations mommy!!!! I also had a traumatic c/s with Nolan, it took awhile to get over it emotionally-I also had really bad swelling afterwards from my hips down-I had it until he was 21 days old then it went away.
August 5th, 2009, 05:13 AM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats! They are both beautiful. I'm sorry things didn't go as planned. I'm glad everyone is doing well and that Preston's surgery is done and he's recovering. I've been wondering how you and the babes were doing.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

August 5th, 2009, 06:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
What beautiful babies! Glad Preston is doing well. What a trooper. Sorry to hear your delivery wasn't what you had planned. Hope you have a quick recovery!

August 5th, 2009, 08:28 AM
lissy8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats on the beautiful babies! I am glad to hear that things are progressing well with baby Preston.

Thank you Mod-trishosaurus for my beautiful siggy!
August 7th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
They are so beautiful. Congrats!

August 8th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Congrats. They are cuties. I love all that hair!
August 9th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Heatherjfitz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am so happy that both babies are doing well! Yay to be home, right?! I too had a traumatic c-section, and totally understand how you feel. I'm sorry it happened that way, and hope the next few weeks go well for you! Good luck on your recovery! Can't wait to see more pics of your little angels!!

August 9th, 2009, 04:50 PM
*TornadoJenn*'s Avatar Jenn's the name
Send a message via AIM to *TornadoJenn*
They are BEAUTIFUL, and I LOVEEEE her hair!!!

I promise you very soon your C-section will all be a distant blurry vision. The most important thing is that they are here happy and healthy.

When will little man be able to come home? Is DH over the moon with the new babies?

August 19th, 2009, 09:04 PM
kticesk8s's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey there! All of us are home together now - Preston came home on Thursday, and today is their 3 week birthday. He is breastfeeding now, but still "working on it," so DH supplements him with bottles of breastmilk. I feel like a BFing & pumping machine!!! I think it's definitely helping with weight loss though - I haven't weighed myself yet, but my arms are skinnier than I remember them being in a loooong time. Things have been quite an adjustment (duh), which is why I haven't been on JM lately!

• Me: 32.:. DH: 30...TTC w/ Male Factor.... BFP! Was triplets! NOW IT'S TWINS!!! 1 BOY, 1 GIRL
  • IVF #1: June '07 BFN
  • IVF #2: Oct '08 BFN
  • DIUI #1: Nov '08 BFP!!! Beta 593 @ 14/15 dpiui!! Beta 1897 @ 16/17 dpiui!!!!!! OMG!
August 20th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Astrid's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Awe, congrats Katie! I know you all went through so much to have these 2 babies. I'm so happy for you! They are beautiful.

August 20th, 2009, 09:47 AM
1+twins's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
THey are so cute! I am sorry about the csection but am happy that you have two healthy babies home with you now. Congrats on them and they are too cute for words.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search