silly question

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 18th, 2009, 04:49 AM
Shawna-mom-to-4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
if yo have the same sex babies was it hard to tell them apart at first? I know after a while we will notice diferences but honestly I am worried I will mix them up if they look similar, for girls i was going to a drop of nail polish one of thier toes but for boys IDK or will I just know?
August 18th, 2009, 06:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Sorry, I'm no help. My girls look absolutely nothing alike. Adalyn looks 99% like me and Alivia looks 95% like DH (she just has my ears ). I swear, two siblings couldn't look any more differently. So we never had a problem.

August 18th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Generally Crispy
Chances are the only time that would be an issue is if they are identicle. Ive seem people who have identicles that wear ID bands (like bracelets) on their arms or ankles to tell them apart. There are twins at my DD's gymnastics that can not be told apart and her mom said that sometimes they have a hard time telling which one is which. She told me they wore bracelets with thier names on them.

For the record, my kids couldnt tell our babies apart for atleast the first month and one was a boy and the other was a girl, they look nothing alike and have completely different shaped heads.
August 18th, 2009, 09:31 AM
tundrababy's Avatar Mega Super Twin Mommy
Even though my boys are frats they did look somewhat alike at birth. During the night once I went to get Owen to nurse - thought wow he is finally getting a hang of it (he was a bad nurser) then went to put him back to bed and realized it was Rhys. Initially we told them apart because their cries were different and Rhys has a birthmark on top of his head. We also didn't take their ID bands off for a couple of days and they wore baby A and baby B hats.

Last edited by tundrababy; August 20th, 2009 at 04:31 PM.
August 18th, 2009, 09:43 AM
mama2noah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
we are having identicals and i wonder about this too! i will likely leave their bands on for awhile and i have hats with their names embroidered on them so i have a feeling those will get a lot of use! i think about when they are sleeping though and they aren't wearing hats, when they wake how will we know. i may have to do something like always putting baby A on the left and baby B on the right or something!

August 18th, 2009, 02:46 PM
lupti's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wonder about this too! But...I am not above putting nail polish on the big toe of one of them...even if they are boys, it is piece of mind for me! Will also keep the band on for a while.

Heather
BFP March 2, 12 dpo
Elias Scott and Griffin Karl here on 9/19/09!
August 19th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Many days if we put the twins in the same outfits, the only way we can tell them apart is that Arthur has an umbilical hernia; the babysitter, DH and myself are always feeling their tummies!
August 19th, 2009, 08:16 PM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
For us, no it wasn't hard at all! They look TOTALLY different! Plus Maya was 4 lbs 8 oz and Sofia was 6 lbs 1 oz. I was actually glad when they came out looking so different!

I will say though that sometimes, when they are sleeping they look very similar! There has been a couple times when I thought one was the other

August 20th, 2009, 06:20 AM
Mega Super Mommy
There were a set of identical triplet boys born in my area a few years back, and the parents put their first initial in permanent marker on the bottom of their feet.

First Twins, Now Triplets - The Early Show - CBS News

The picture used to be a video where she showed the little letter "J" on Jacob's foot.

August 20th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Astrid's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ours were very easy to tell apart, at least for us. Somehow Ian & Gabi were always mistaken for one another early on. Of the 3, they resemble each other quite a bit. Poor Sofi. She is the odd gal out.

Now, for friends that have ID, they normally put them in different colors such as baby a pink & baby b purple. I think this is very important in pictures b/c I have heard many parents say they wish they had done something to differentiate them in pictures.

August 20th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Our girls look a lot alike right now. We always have Arya sleeping on the right and Eiley on the left. Their head shapes are a little different because of how they were in the womb. Even with that though I'll think I have one and then see the other and realize I'm wrong. We still have their hospital wrist bands on since DH isn't great at telling them apart yet. He's getting better. We have nail polish to mark their toes once we take the bracelets off. You could buy green, blue, black or any other non-pink color of nail polish to use on boys.

We've been trying to download pictures pretty quickly and re-naming the files so we know who is who. My mom took a ton of pics at the birth and did an amazing job figuring out who was who based on the layout of the operating room.

DH's sister is deaf. His mom and she have been holding one hand in an A or E sign when they take pictures.

We have the hospital caps with A and B on them, but keep confusing people because we put them on either girl without looking at which hat is which.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

August 20th, 2009, 06:16 PM
*Mandy*'s Avatar Co-Host Moms of Multiples
Send a message via AIM to *Mandy*
I wonder about this too!I'm gonna have to try the head shape thing or use a band!
August 23rd, 2009, 07:23 AM
*TornadoJenn*'s Avatar Jenn's the name
Send a message via AIM to *TornadoJenn*
I worried about the same exact thing, even with b/g, and they looked totally different from day 1 so I never had a problem

August 23rd, 2009, 10:51 AM
*Mandy*'s Avatar Co-Host Moms of Multiples
Send a message via AIM to *Mandy*
I bought a few different crocheted hats for the hospital just incase!
August 24th, 2009, 04:32 AM
I have worried about this from the moment we found out it was two boys also. To finally put my mind at ease and to stop worrying over it, I have decided that if they look even closely alike, one of them will just keep their band on, or (ugh lol) wear a dab of nail polish on their toe!

I do figure though, that since they are frats it won't take long for then to get their own looks and personalities. At least I hope...
August 25th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Heatherjfitz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The girls looked closer at birth then they do now, but when you are super exhausted it is easy to get confused. I used to forget who I was holding in the middle of the night. I still get confused but it's not because they look alike...I'll say to myself...who had the poopy...Isabella or Alyssa? What time did Isabella wake up from her nap.... I have had to write down things a lot just because you DO so much for the two of them it's hard to remember who you did it for! lol! One day flies by so fast right now....it's all a big blur!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search