Strollers and Carseats...going insane!

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 18th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Jessy133's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So ladies I went to BabiesRus this weekend with DH and went to go see strollers, we saw the Contour, Graco, and the Sit n Stand Double.

My DH told me that the Contour was soo heavy. The Graco we both didnt like it, we were putting a carseat on it and it broke. The sales guy said it was flimsy. Then DH found the Sit n Stand Double. It is lighter weight and you can fold it super easy with only one hand. I drove it around the store and it was a lot lighter and shorter than the contour one.

But then the next day, I started thinking, about my friends baby. She is only 5 months and loves to be in her stoller chair already. Not in the carseat that attaches to the stroller. So I was thinking lets say I dont use the carseats once in a while, when I would put them into the Sit n Stand double, they can only face one direction and its not mine. I dont know if I feel comfortable having them facing out and not being able to see them at a young age.

My DH thinks im totally over reacting, but I dont know maybe its just my stupidity for real or do I have a valid reason?

I love the fact that the Contour stroller you can change the positions a ton of ways, but to fold it you need to remove the front seat and that it weighs like 20lbs more than Stand n Sit Double.

I dont know what to do...Help!

Also on the Carseats, I read sooo many good and bad reviews for the same product I have no idea what to choose!

August 18th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Generally Crispy
There are a few makers of double strollers that have a handle that can be used forward or rear facing. I think Domino is one brand. Have no idea where you;d get one of those tho. They are probably costly. I have a single stroller with my son and it had an adjustable handle and it was hard to control in the rear facing position because the wheels that turned where now the back wheels and not the front.
August 18th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Have you considered just getting the double snap in go and then wait to see how you feel about getting a different stroller?

I used the snap n go all the time. It was so light, big basket, two cup holders....I loved that thing! It never failed that if I drove somewhere both babies would fall asleep in their car seats so the snap in go was light and perfect since I just pop them in and not worry about waking them. When they were about 6 months I got a nice side by side umbrella and a side by side jogger but even then I still used the snap n go for a trip to the grocery store or whatever.

[/COLOR]Nathan(6), Reagan(6), Riley(5), Kaycee(3)

Our Blog

August 18th, 2009, 01:40 PM
tundrababy's Avatar Mega Super Twin Mommy
I have both the snap'n'go and the kolcraft contours (as well as a bike trailer/jogger ) And honestly we only used the snap n go less than a handful of times. The contours we use all the time and while it is heavy and bulky - the boys like sitting in the seats far better than their carseats and with the seating options you can have them face you (to keep over zealous admirers dirty fingers/coughs away). You get used to taking the seats on/off each time - it only takes me seconds now to get it all put together. If you are not sure I would buy a used snapngo - we got ours from craigslist for $25 - then once you have the babies you will know more of what your needs are.
In the coming months, now that the boys can sit up, we are going to buy a sbs stroller - probably the peg perego aria.
And as for carseats we have graco snugride seats in lotus print so they match the contour stroller - I had graco for Danika and never had a problem - although you do get what you pay for - we bought the snugrides for 149 and my MIL for 89 - I hate her carseats, they are a pain to adjust, not near as cushy and honestly ugly
I just wanted to add that we babywear alot- DH has a bjorn and I have a moby - its so much easier than lugging around carseats and strollers.

August 18th, 2009, 03:58 PM
I am so glad someone brought up the stroller issue. I don't even know where to begin to find a double stroller. Do they not make sets? I am limited around where I live. I have found one double stroller and it did not come with car seats so by the time I throw those in it will be well over $500. Is that around the normal price? YIKES that hurts. I still have all of Tyler and Brianne's stuff (except car seat) but still there is so much I need b/c of the second one. Another crib, a new bed for Brianne b/c she is still in her crib....
August 18th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Poncho06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have both the Duo Glide and found it is great for quick trips where I don't want the hassle of getting out of thier seats. I also have the City Mini double and love love love it. It is forward facing but I'm like a hawk eye and cut people off at the pass befor ethey can touch them to tell them not too (I figure if your rude enough to try to touch my babies without asking then I can be rude enough to tell you not to touch my kids)

August 18th, 2009, 07:08 PM
How did you decide what to buy. Were you able to test them before hand and if so where?!
August 18th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Poncho06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I tried the Graco out at babies-r-us and the city mini at buy buy baby (I think they are a NJ store though) but I would look at the stroller weights and read the reviews if you are unable to get to the store to check them out yourself.

August 18th, 2009, 09:19 PM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Get the Sit n Stand double. I have been contemplating splurging on it, actually. I have a side by side and let me tell you- it is ANNOYING for shopping!!!

You will have them in their infant seats still at 5 months- trust me. I used my snap n go until they were 10 months. Having twins is TOTALLY different from having a singleton- in every way. Things that friends w/ singletons do, you won't do, or will do differently most of the time. It also depends on the babies!

If I had to re-register, I would have gotten the sit n stand double- although not sure they had it at the time?? I did love the snap n go, but you could always find that used.

I tested most of the ones I considered. The Graco was WAY too heavy and wouldn't fit in my car. I have the Maclaren SBS and love it- except for shopping! It handled the best out of all the SBS

August 19th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Thanks ladies for your advice!

August 19th, 2009, 12:21 PM
TheyGrowLikeWeeds's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to TheyGrowLikeWeeds
I have the Graco Quattro Tour. I like it. It worked with the two car seats. It was a little compact, but by the time they out grow their infant car seats, they don't need to be squeezed in there anymore. Then they can just use the stroller. It folds down nicely and isn't too heavy. The snap 'n go is a great one as well. It's less expensive, it's the lightest option, and you can use whatever car seats you find. Those you'd have to get an infant car seat. The Contours is very good, but it's expensive and heavy. It's got a lot of flexibility with it though which you may like. I do wish I had reconsidered that one when I first was looking in to strollers, but I'm very happy with the one I got. I used the Graco Safeseat as far as seats go. They got good safety rating on them and that's what was most important to me. They are a little heavier than the snugrides but they support more weight and got better ratings overall. The snugrides did ok. There are others out there that may have gotten good reviews, but I needed to get somethign that fits the stroller I chose. The snap 'n go and Contours may offer you more options with your car seat choice so that might help you decide.

You can consider a convertible car seat, but you'd have to wake them up every time you wish to take them anywhere getting them in and out of the seats. I have the evenflo symphony which is good from 5lbs to 100lbs. 5lbs - 40lbs as a regular seat then it should be used as a booster up to 100lbs and it can be used with your car seat belts as a booster even though the back stays on. It's built to help guide the seat belts to where they need to be on a child. They are also built to support rear facing up to 35lbs/2 years old. That's the new recommendation on when to switch your baby to front facing. Minimally, it's still 20lbs 1 years old, but now they see that there are much fewer injuries adn baby death when you keep a baby rear facing longer. So now they recommend rear facing your child up to 35lbs and 2 years old. They can sit cross legged if they need to in order to reach that goal.

Sorry tangent..... It's all so confusing I know, but make sure you look at those safety stats and make a decision based on your needs. You can't please everyone. In fact, a lot of reviews are made by those that have somethign to complain about. I appreciate those that have good things to say, but you still need to make your own opinion based on what's most important to you and the safety requirements you need for your babies.

I love my Peanut M&Ms Cameron & Kiefer!!Eliza's Blog

Last edited by TheyGrowLikeWeeds; August 19th, 2009 at 12:23 PM.
August 19th, 2009, 03:47 PM
I think I've settled on the Valco Baby Latitude SBS. I have the single version now and it has been the GREATEST stroller. Downsides are no snack trays/cupholders, but you can get those aftermarket for practically nothing.
I love that it's so light, and narrow for a SBS (according to my comps) and that it does fit the carriers but is still a lightweight stroller that accomodates older kids too!
Who knows, I may change my mind in the next couple of months but for now all my research and exp with the 2 kids I have now point to the latitude!
August 19th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Heatherjfitz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well I am in LOVE with the Maclaren twin truimph. I had the snap and go but I didn't really like it, but I knew that I wouldn't be out much the first few months and I was right! I hardly HAD to use it! I went to friends' houses, my moms house etc, where I had help and it didn't matter if I had fussy babies (and I didn't need a stroller there). I DIDN'T go to stores or anything like that. The only time I used a stroller was on walks with my DH in the evening. (And the snap and go was perfect for that). By the time the girls could hold themselves up well I was ready to start going out of the house. (Around 4-5 months). And at that point I didn't HAVE to put them in their infant carriers. I also realized I wanted the sbs stroller because you feel like a circus when you have babies way out in front of you, and I didn't like people feeling like they could lean over and take a peek. Ya know? The Maclaren is awesome. Lightweight, the seats recline way back, and the best part is that I can use it forever! I shouldn't have to get another stroller ever! The only downside is that the babies are more exposed to the sun; however I purchased two maclaren stroller parasols and now I don't have that issue. Also Maclarens are a bit costly, but you pay for what you get!! IMO. Good luck!

August 19th, 2009, 06:38 PM
babybatax2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have a Graco Duo Glider that I used as a nanny and it is a pain. It never turned easily.

We plan on buying the Contours because we can just use the frame as a snap n go type stoller and then later have the seats. I also like that the seats turn every way!

BTW if you go with the Contours, they are coming out with a newer model this fall featuring snack trays/cup holders for the kiddies!

07/2007 03/2011 01/2012
August 19th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I currently own six strollers btwn 3 kids; for the twins we've got the Joovy Big Caboose-I hate it and can't wait until the twins are out of their carseats and I can sell it! Its so long and heavy, and you CANNOT see the front twin at all. Its handy b/c my toddler likes to stand on it sometimes, but otherwise its garbage. I just got a BOB double, and I love it-the twins have been in it for a month now, it reclines enough and has very adjustable harnesses-but I don't have carseat adaptors for it. I wish I would have bought a snap n go--it cost half as much as the Big Caboose and looked much smaller and lighter.

Lucky mother to five!

August 19th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Lindsey608's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Lindsey608
We have two snugrides and the Graco Quattro Tour Duo. We tested both it and the Graco Duoglider in the store and the QTD steers way better than the DG, IMO!

We used it with the carseats in the beginning but just put the babies in there sitting up now. We had the regular Quattro Tour with my older DD and loved it, that's why we decided to go with another Graco. It's not that heavy, I can lift it into our Rodeo no problem. And it's nice and sturdy.. easy for maneuvering over grass, gravel, wood chips, etc.

August 20th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Thanks so much ladies, I guess my biggest thing is that I wont be able to see the front baby at all when I dont use the carseat, if I go with the sit nstand double.

My husband keeps telling me how heavy it was, and hes like I dont want to hear you complain when you cant lift it. He says I never listen to him and then do whatever I want and then go back to what he said in the beginning.

He just tells me that if I see someone approaching the kids to tell them not to touch them, but what if im in a store and turn my back for a second, etc.

I think im gonna go to BRU today myself and play around with it and see how i feel with it by myself.

August 20th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
jessy, we were recommened by other moms of twins to get the peg perego stroller. it is very versatile as far as how you face the seats, has specific car seats with it that you must use and then has separate seats for when they are older. it also has a steering wheel verses a handle to use it with. one thing that aaron noted about it is that is is taller than most other strollers so as a 6 foot guy it was more comfortable for him to push. it is VERY expensive but we found it on craislist for $500 total for the entire package.

~~terre~~

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search