Sleeping

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 18th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
For those who have twins already, do you have one that sleeps more than the other at night? Evan can't go as long as Emma in between feeds. In the beginning I used to wake both up for feeding. Now I am hoping Evan will start sleeping longer since Emma will sleep at least 5 hours in one stretch at night.

August 19th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We're still waking the 2nd twin, and they're 12 weeks adjusted; most of the time the 2nd one will wake halfway thru the first one's feed anyhow
August 19th, 2009, 08:14 PM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would always wake both. I tried it once where I just fed the one that woke. Well, what happened was that about an hour after the first one fed, the other woke to eat. I needed more sleep than that! So, I always woke the other. And it kept them on the same schedule.

Also, we were on a 3 hour feeding schedule when we came home, and stayed on it until about 4 months. Most of the twin moms I know do keep theirs on the same feeding schedule. I know a couple MoMs who feed whenever and let them sleep whenever, and honestly, they struggle with it! I know some who are more comfortable doing it that way, and that's fine if you can do it, but I know I sure couldn't!

August 19th, 2009, 09:02 PM
tundrababy's Avatar Mega Super Twin Mommy
When we were comfortable the boys were gaining enough weight (around 8wks) I let the boys wake on their own to sleep. Rhys quickly went to just one feeding a night while Owen stuck to 3. Now at almost 7mos Rhys sleeps through the night and Owen still wakes 2-3x/night although we are trying to wean him. It worked for us, b/c Rhys didn't get used to eating through the night just because Owen was - so now we just have to wean one baby not two..........we do follow a strict schedule during the day though

August 22nd, 2009, 03:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundrababy View Post
When we were comfortable the boys were gaining enough weight (around 8wks) I let the boys wake on their own to sleep. Rhys quickly went to just one feeding a night while Owen stuck to 3. Now at almost 7mos Rhys sleeps through the night and Owen still wakes 2-3x/night although we are trying to wean him. It worked for us, b/c Rhys didn't get used to eating through the night just because Owen was - so now we just have to wean one baby not two..........we do follow a strict schedule during the day though
that is how i am looking at it since emma only wakes up once to feed and her and evan both eat at that time because he also wakes then to eat. i wonder though if evan's waking one or two times more than emma is partially because of his reflux.
during the day they both eat at the same time including the fact that they both cluster feed in the evenings.

eta: i did start the twins out nursing together at night for awhile.

Last edited by jlk; August 22nd, 2009 at 03:23 PM.
August 22nd, 2009, 04:40 PM
tundrababy's Avatar Mega Super Twin Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk View Post
that is how i am looking at it since emma only wakes up once to feed and her and evan both eat at that time because he also wakes then to eat. i wonder though if evan's waking one or two times more than emma is partially because of his reflux.
during the day they both eat at the same time including the fact that they both cluster feed in the evenings.

eta: i did start the twins out nursing together at night for awhile.

Owen is my reflux baby and I am sure that is partly to blame why he wakes more frequently to eat - Is Evan on medication??? We can always tell when its time to up Owen's med dose when he starts waking more frequently to eat. (last night he only woke up once -wooohooo!!!)

August 22nd, 2009, 06:47 PM
kticesk8s's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Jasmine almost sleeps through the night (we let her), and Preston wakes up every 3 hours.

• Me: 32.:. DH: 30...TTC w/ Male Factor.... BFP! Was triplets! NOW IT'S TWINS!!! 1 BOY, 1 GIRL
  • IVF #1: June '07 BFN
  • IVF #2: Oct '08 BFN
  • DIUI #1: Nov '08 BFP!!! Beta 593 @ 14/15 dpiui!! Beta 1897 @ 16/17 dpiui!!!!!! OMG!
August 23rd, 2009, 07:32 AM
*TornadoJenn*'s Avatar Jenn's the name
Send a message via AIM to *TornadoJenn*
I neve ever ever ever ever woke one or the other for a feeding. EVER.

My son slept wayyyyy worse than my daughter for about the first year, and then they switched roles. We just now have DD sleeping as well as DS.

August 23rd, 2009, 08:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundrababy View Post
Owen is my reflux baby and I am sure that is partly to blame why he wakes more frequently to eat - Is Evan on medication??? We can always tell when its time to up Owen's med dose when he starts waking more frequently to eat. (last night he only woke up once -wooohooo!!!)
yep, we have him on prevacid and it seems to be working pretty good. evan slept in the swing last night and slept 4 hours for the first stretch (while emma slept 7) before waking to eat. so i am thinking the swing might be the way to go for night time sleeping as it might be helping his reflux that way.

i hope owen continues to only wake up once for you!!

August 25th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Heatherjfitz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The swings helped my twins switch their nights and days correctly. Bella is my reflux baby and it helped her a ton! They DID get slight flat heads around three months (its cleared up by 6 months) and I think it could have been from too much swing time. However the swings saved my life. It is how I survived. lol. I moved the girls to the crib after they started sleeping 6 hour stretches. I never woke a baby up after I got the okay from the pedi that they weighed enough for sleeping through the night. (About 12 pounds/ three months for us) Before three months they never tried sleeping more the 4 hours anyways. My theory was one sleepless baby was better then two. I got up for whatever baby needed a feeding.

If you're interested in how our schedule has progressed (I asked everyone as I was desperate to know when I'd sleep again...) Here is about what happened:

Alyssa started sleeping 6 hours stretches first around 12 weeks (8 weeks corrected). Then Bella followed about 1-2 weeks later. Eventually Alyssa did one feeding per 12 hour stretch, and Bella did two. And then Alyssa moved to no feedings and sleeping all night, and Bella only needed one that continued for a month or so and now at 6 months both girls sleep through the night from 8 to 6 or 7. (about 10 hour nights). Phew! lol. Course, I have a night a week or so where one wakes up crying for some reason...leaked diaper...teething pains... but it's still AMAZING to finally get normal sleep!!

Good Luck! Sorry I wrote a book...this was the number one thing I wanted to know about when I girls were little.... lol.

August 28th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Astrid's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We always woke the other 2 when 1 got up to eat. That was the only way I could make it through the night plus pump. I know several that let each baby make their own schedule at night but the parents were up more often feeding. I remember very vividly waking up in the middle of the night & asking DH if he had fed the kids. It was 3am & no one had woken up for a bottle since 8pm. He said no & I ran upstairs to pump. All the while, they slept. Slept until 5am & that was his feeding before work. This happened at 11 wks old, 5 wks adjusted. I was so happy!

August 28th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Lindsey608's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Lindsey608
We woke the other to eat for the first few months or so. DH and I would bring the laptop into the bedroom and watch Netflix movies while they nursed at night, lol!

After awhile we started co-sleeping so I'd just bring whoever was hungry in bed with me and when the other woke we'd switch. But that led to bad habits and they were both waking about every 2 hours or so and nobody was getting any sleep. We ended up doing a little bit of sleep training and FINALLY got them sleeping in their cribs a few weeks ago. We moved Oliver to his own room and he's been sleeping 12 hours straight through ever since. Lia's still in our room a she wakes 2-4 times/night to eat.

August 30th, 2009, 06:40 AM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have no schedule yet. I try to nurse them together but Arya can go longer than Eiley and is nearly impossible to wake to eat. She'll snack a little, but doesn't really wake if she's not ready and ends up waking again to eat on her own. She sucks better, so I think she eats more at a time than Eiley. Eiley's suck is getting stronger every day, so hopefully she'll catch up soon and we can have a better schedule. We were waking both to eat the first week or so. They were so sleepy that they could go 6+ hours without eating. Their blood sugars were a bit low, so we couldn't let them sleep without eating. Now they wake on their own every 2 to 3 hours at night. They want to go longer during the day. If I'm not running around doing a million other things, I try to wake them more often during the day in hopes that they'll go longer at night. That seems to be working.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

September 1st, 2009, 04:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to sisteen
I woke the other twin up to nurse till about 2 months. Then I just had to wake 1 of them up because he was having issues gaining weight

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search