back from level II scan good n bad news...

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 21st, 2009, 09:46 AM
Jessy133's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Heyyy! So today I went in and had my Level II u/s...for the good news...We have a Girl and Boy! Im soo happy!

Well they started the u/s and the tech told me that everything was looking normal. Baby B who is the Boy is completly sitting on his sister! Its so funny. Baby A..the girl is on the bottom towards the right side, and B is on the top towards the left. She is upside down and poor thing smooshed! Her brother is already bullying her you see them kicking eachother...its soo funny! Im gonna def. have my hands full!

Well today was the first day that I met my Perinatologist. He came in and just reviewed my previous tests with me. He told me that from the 2 sets of bloodwork they did and the NT scan, that I was at a negative prescreening for any chromosomal abnormalites. He told me my chances of one of the babies being down syndrome or something of that, was 1 in 4600. Which is good. So he started going over with my my history of my family etc. I told him that I have a little hole or something in my heart but nothing big, my mom has a couple of valves that leak in her heart and has high BP and that my uncle just had a stroke, because they found that he had a huge hole in his heart that never had closed from birth. So he told me that he wanted me to go see a cardiologist again just to verify that my heart is looking good.

So then on he went to see the babies...he said that the babies are measuring good. Baby A is measuring 16 wks 1 day and B is at 16 wks 2 days. They are both weighing about 5 oz. each and said that all of their growth is perfect. He then went and told the tech that he wanted to see a "live" view. So she put the u/s back on me. I wasnt sure why but w/e I was happy to see my babies again! Well he went directly to Baby A and her heart, he wanted to see it. So they zoomed in and started looking at everything. Then he got the tech to freeze the screen. He started telling me that the heart has 4 chambers bla bla bla, and he showed me all of them pointing them out. Well then he points to this whiteish part of the screen in the heart and goes you see that area, I was like ya..hes like well that valve is slightly larger than normal. He told me first off that what he was looking at is not considered a heart abnomality.

I was like ok...what does that mean? So he goes well honestly, this is probably nothing, but I do want to be honest with you and just let you know. MOst doctors probably wouldnt have even said anything to begin with but I like to be honest with my patients. He said that after seeing that, that could be an indicator, that Baby A the girl, can have Down Syndrome or a Chromosomal abnormality. He said that the chances though are very slim, that, instead of me having a 1 in 4600 chance of having a baby with downs I would have a 1 in 2600. When you calculate it...its a .0003 chance that the baby could have something. But that he wanted to let me know. He goes..with that said, there is something you can do, but I dont recommend it persay, because of your age and just the chances from your bloodwork, and all the stuff we have seen so far. He said you can do an Amnio, but there are risks involved. He said that my chances of losing not one but both babies in the amnio, even if they didnt have anything and are perfect, is about 1 in 100. He said that he would not take the chances of that. But that its my body and I can do whatever I want.

My face nearly froze! I was thinking OMG this is my fault some how. The doctor though kept telling me that its probably nothing. and kept telling me my chances. He told me not to worry to much. Easier said than done! So I was talking to DH and he was telling me that he feels in his heart that the babies are both fine and healthy. My mom too, she always has her gut instincts that are pretty on target. So they calmed me down a bit. My husband was telling me though that he can not even see us taking a chance of losing not one but both babies!

Its soo hard! I have this now in my mind. The doctor was telling me that he wanted to do a Fetal Eco, to check the babies hearts when they are 22 wks, just to make sure everything looks ok, since I have a family history of heart problems.

I am praying very hard that my baby girl and boy stay strong and healthy. I will also have another anatomy scan at 20 wks just so they can recheck everything and make sure nothing else pops up. I guess if something else comes about, then maybe I will start worrying a bit more. But they told me my NT Scan looked normal and stuff. So I am hoping that this is the one and only indicator that they find.

Pray for my little ones!
xoxoxo

Last edited by Jessy133; August 21st, 2009 at 10:05 AM.
August 21st, 2009, 11:03 AM
TheyGrowLikeWeeds's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to TheyGrowLikeWeeds
Congratulations on a good u/s and a big congrats on your girl/boy twins!!!!

I don't know why doctors have to scare you, but I guess he felt it best to give you all options. There's always a risk of miscarriage with the amnio but the risk actually is very small. If you were over 35, the doctors almost insist on them and they more than often turn out fine...twin or no twin pregnancy. However, with that risk, I too rejected the option at the time. I was 34 when they were conceived and every other test came out fine.

I also wouldn't worry about the chromosomal abnormality possibility. All my tests showed no problems what so ever, but Kiefer's neck measurement was a little thick on the u/s which is a sign of Downs, but he came out perfect and his neck is fine. Measurements on an u/s are not exact and they can be off a little each time. His kidneys were also acting strange. i understood the concern there since one was bigger than the other showing signs of too much water and not enough drainage. Turned out to be some reflux and it cleared on birthday.

Things do happen. The doctor do often want to let you know everything. That doctor probably didnt' need to scare you like that until he had more proof that there was need for an amnio. Those stats for your risk of Downs is still extremely low. Better stats than mine just based on my age. It's worth watching that little heart thing he found on the ultrasound, but by no means do you think the worst.

Also above all....NONE of this is your fault. If a baby were to have a chromosomal abnormality or any abnormality, it's just by chance. You did nothing to make it occur, you did everything right!!! That's why life is so random. If it happens, it happens and there is nothing you can do to change it or to prevent it. You just hope for healthy babies and take care of yourself the best way you can. It's all you can do and it's all you are expected to do. You are a good mom-to-be!!!

I love my Peanut M&Ms Cameron & Kiefer!!Eliza's Blog
August 21st, 2009, 01:42 PM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
They will be fine!!! My NT scan wasn't great. They gave me a 1 in 240 chance of Sofia having Down's. Then they did the level II u/s and saw no other markers, but I was still worried. Well, she is fine!! I know yours will be fine too! Congrats on one of each!

August 21st, 2009, 04:31 PM
Poncho06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sure everything will be fine. When I had my big ultrasound they saw a marker in the formation of Sophia's brain.

August 21st, 2009, 06:52 PM
Generally Crispy
Congrats!

Our Peri also told us everything there was to know and it did scare me but it gave me a better opportunity to be proactive in their medical care.
August 22nd, 2009, 12:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
At Nathan's 20 week scan they found 2 soft markers for downs and that put him at high risk for downs. A bright spot in his heart (echogenic foci or something like that) and he had a single umbilical artery. His NT at 11 weeks was just fine.

At my 11 week scan Riley was put an increased risk for downs (1 in 200 ish) because I had a much lower than normal Papp-A blood level. Her NT was fine at 11 weeks.

I never did an amnio.

I would try not to be too concerned. I know so many people that had increased risks for downs according to blood tests and scans and everything ended up being just fine.

[/COLOR]Nathan(6), Reagan(6), Riley(5), Kaycee(3)

Our Blog

Last edited by cnote; August 22nd, 2009 at 12:12 AM.
August 22nd, 2009, 08:19 AM
Thank you so much ladies for your responses.

Ya thats what they found in my baby girls left ventricle the bright spot, the Echogenic Intracardiac Focus. I think that since everything else looks normal so far and my bloodwork came back at a negative screening, that everything should be fine, but of course after all ive been thru I am scared.

I have another anatomy scan at 20 wks. I just hope that they dont find anything else. Tahnk you ladies for your support!

August 23rd, 2009, 07:35 AM
*TornadoJenn*'s Avatar Jenn's the name
Send a message via AIM to *TornadoJenn*
So sorry they bummed you out, but very glad to hear they're being so proactive. And congrats on the B/G! They're the best, IMO

August 23rd, 2009, 10:44 AM
*Mandy*'s Avatar Co-Host Moms of Multiples
Send a message via AIM to *Mandy*
I'm sure everything will be just fine!As moms it's just in our nature to be worried sick and unfortnatly that doesn't change after birth either!I think it may even get worse!LOL

Congrats on a Boy AND a Girl!
August 23rd, 2009, 11:00 AM
tundrababy's Avatar Mega Super Twin Mommy
I agree with Mandy, although its hard not to worry but its part of our nature and it only gets worse after they are here.....with that being said, relaxing and enjoying your pregnancy is really the only thing you can control and let your Doc's doing the worrying for you -

Yeah for having one of each!!! Do you have names yet???

Last edited by tundrababy; August 23rd, 2009 at 11:03 AM.
August 24th, 2009, 08:11 AM
lupti's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It is so difficult not to worry, but it sounds like your Dr. is being proactive and alert, just in case. Ultrasounds aren't perfect, and what they see now isn't necessarily what they will see in a few weeks.

Keep us posted!

Heather
BFP March 2, 12 dpo
Elias Scott and Griffin Karl here on 9/19/09!
August 24th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Sweetpea0708's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Sweetpea0708 Send a message via MSN to Sweetpea0708 Send a message via Yahoo to Sweetpea0708
Congrats! KUP on how it turns out...I hope everything is just fine.

August 24th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Thank you so much ladies. I calmed down a bit more this weekend. I went to BRU and started my registry so I can be more excited and just think positive that all will be fine.

Yes we already came up with names, Amaya & Kavin. I am trying to call them by there names when I talk about them but its hard! its wierd! LoL Part of me is just finding it completely wierd calling my kids names and part of me is totally scared of getting too attached and that something happens to one of them.

I hate being soooo negative! I wish I could take it away! Im forcing myself just to go on positive that all will be great.

Thanks again ladies for helping me thru!

August 24th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Cute names! And you are doing fantastic! It was really hard for me not to worry too...you remind me so much of myself (except that you're like 100 times cuter and sweeter ). I think it's great that you started the registry - Enjoy and have loads of fun with it!

[/COLOR]Nathan(6), Reagan(6), Riley(5), Kaycee(3)

Our Blog

August 24th, 2009, 09:01 PM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know- after going through infertility and then fertility treatments, you just don't want to get too excited. I held out on doing the registry as long as I could. And I know I worried a ton more than most people!

Great names! I especially like Amaya since it is close to Maya Actually Amaya was 1 of the names we considered!

August 25th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Jeb-O's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jeb-O Send a message via Yahoo to Jeb-O
Congrats! How exciting!! Love the names too!!

Push out the negative vibes and just enjoy this time.. pretty soon it is going to get much harder.

August 25th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Astrid's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Everyone else has said great stuff. I can't really add anything else but this. An ultrasound, no matter the resolution, is just that...an ultrasound. It isn't exact & there are many things that can pop up that make something look like it shouldn't. Sounds like your baby girl is going to be just fine. Keep that chin up & enjoy knowing you are having ONE OF EACH! Congrats mama!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search