no Peri?

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 23rd, 2009, 05:29 AM
Shawna-mom-to-4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
everyone with twwins is always saying they go the the Peri but I do not have one and I will not have one in fact I am still just going monthly appts like in a single baby PG is that normal?? I am 100% confident in my DR and I know the babies look healthy so its ok but whats the deal? did you all have one?
August 23rd, 2009, 07:21 AM
*TornadoJenn*'s Avatar Jenn's the name
Send a message via AIM to *TornadoJenn*
Yes, and its because at some point (around 28-30 weeks, you should be going for WEEKLY growth scans (BioPhysicalProfiles) And non stress tests. The NST is how they found out I was actually in labor. PLEASE push for a peri. PLEASE.

August 23rd, 2009, 07:59 AM
Shawna-mom-to-4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
well what the heck, I go back the 16th and will ask the Dr but for some reason they have me seeing a different DR even though I did not have to last time, it's all so overwhelming knowing what is normal
August 23rd, 2009, 08:48 AM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
imo, it is NOT ok to just be going once a month. Things can change too quickly. I started going every 2 weeks at about 19 or 20 weeks. I did not have a peri b/c my OB is very experienced in twins pregnancies and even the peri (who I saw a few times around 12 weeks) said I should be in just the OBs care.

So, like I said, at about 20 weeks I went every other week and had a quick u/s each time. This is because the doppler is unreliable with twins. Then I had a big growth scan every month to make sure they were growing at about the same rate. Honestly, if your OB is seeing you less than this, I would speak to him about it and/or seek out a peri.

August 23rd, 2009, 09:11 AM
tundrababy's Avatar Mega Super Twin Mommy
I was in a similar situation as you, I only saw my OB(never saw an actual peri - OB did consult with one several times) monthly until I was 28wks when it bumped up to 2wks and then weekly at 32wks. Also at 28wks I started having u/s every 2wks for BPP and EFW. NSTs started around that time as well. It worried me as well as it seemed like girls in my DDC with singletons were being seen a lot more than me. I ended up asking my OB - he told me that he usually only sends twins to peri's when there are only factors - mono/di - mono/mono- GD - or any other health problems with mom and babies. But in most cases he saw di/di babies throughout the pregnancies. It never hurts to ask but I think soon enough your visits, u/s, nst's will increase and it soon feels like a full-time job.

August 23rd, 2009, 09:47 AM
kticesk8s's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I only had a peri, and at 33 weeks, he caught a congenital issue (duodenal atresia) that would never have been found had I only been seeing an OB. Because of the issue, Preston needed surgery at 2 days old, and we were completely prepared for it, as well as educated on the condition. I definitely recommend having a peri een though it isn't necessary.

• Me: 32.:. DH: 30...TTC w/ Male Factor.... BFP! Was triplets! NOW IT'S TWINS!!! 1 BOY, 1 GIRL
  • IVF #1: June '07 BFN
  • IVF #2: Oct '08 BFN
  • DIUI #1: Nov '08 BFP!!! Beta 593 @ 14/15 dpiui!! Beta 1897 @ 16/17 dpiui!!!!!! OMG!
August 23rd, 2009, 10:28 AM
*Mandy*'s Avatar Co-Host Moms of Multiples
Send a message via AIM to *Mandy*
I don't see a peri and i'm having mono-di twins.At first i was very concerned and felt very overwhelmed just like you.I was only going to monthly appointments and monthly sonos up until 28 weeks and then they changed to every two weeks.I think once i hit 32 weeks it starts weekly.I trust my OB and he has told me that unless there is a medical reason then they usually don't send their patients to a peri because they are trained to handle twin pregnancies and at anytime in my pregnancy if anything comes up i will be sent to see a peri and he also gave me the option to see one at anytime.But for right now he is doing the same thing and looking for the same things a peri monitors you for.At least that's what they tell me and i'am comfortable with that.My OB can always pick up the two heartbeats with the doppler because of how they are laying in there(one is so far down and the other is all up in my ribs)but if there was ever a time where he was not able to he would send me for an ultrasound to check.

I honestly think it's all about your level of comfort and its completely up to you.I think you should go with the level of intervention that makes you feel comfortable to ensure you are getting the best care.
August 23rd, 2009, 07:48 PM
Poncho06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
idk it was common practice for my ob's office to send all twin patients to a peri. I had already been to mine before seeing the ob because I was sent by my RE due to cervical isses early on

August 24th, 2009, 05:35 AM
Sweetpea0708's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Sweetpea0708 Send a message via MSN to Sweetpea0708 Send a message via Yahoo to Sweetpea0708
I haven't seen a peri. Nor am I going to, unless something arises. My OB doesn't believe there is any reason for me to be going to a peri, as long as my u/s come back fine and I'm progressing fine. Because my hospital does not have a NICU, he will be inviting a peri from the hospital with the NICU to come to every other of my appts and sit in around 20 weeks, but that's mostly so that in case I don't make it to 35 weeks, I know who will be involved in my care, seeing as my OB does not have privileges at the other hospital. He will also be sending my U/S pics to the peri.

I agree, it's about what you are comfy with, I'm comfortable with my OB's plan of action. It makes me more comfortable to know he's considered me possibly having to deliver somewhere else and is making it more convenient for me to feel comfortable with that possibility.

August 24th, 2009, 08:03 AM
TheyGrowLikeWeeds's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to TheyGrowLikeWeeds
It all depends on what the OB has experience with. If the OB has a lot of experience and knowledge on twin pregnancies, then seeing one is fine, but you have to ask a lot of questions or know what treatments you are supposed to be receiving to know if your ob is up on his/her knowledge on twins pregnancies.

I saw one only because I went through IVF in order to have my boys. That immediately puts you in a high risk category. However there are some OB's trained to take care of IVF patients as well. I also was very proned to miscarriages which is why my OB originally sent me to a reproductive endocrinologist to discuss difficult fertility issues and then he sent me to a peri when I appeared to be having a healthy pregnancy. I ended up with an uneventful, healthy pregnancy...no complications, but I am happy I saw a peri cause if somethign did go wrong, I trusted I was in good hands.

I love my Peanut M&Ms Cameron & Kiefer!!Eliza's Blog
August 24th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I never saw a peri. And I fully trusted my OB. However, I started seeing her every other week after week 18...mostly because I had started experiencing Braxton Hicks already. If I hadn't started with those, we would've started with appts every two weeks after my 22 week appt. I then started seeing her weekly at 26 weeks due to PTL...sometimes twice a week. In other words, she was very proactive in my care.

She always did in office ultrasounds to monitor the babies' HBs at every single appt. And I was scheduled for growth scans every 4 weeks beginning at the 20 week US.

Just talk to your OB about your concerns. Find out what kind of timeline you're on...when you will bump up to twice a month appts, weekly appts, etc. If you don't agree with the plan, voice your opinion. As for me, my OB and I were on the exact same page, so there was no need for a peri.

August 24th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Jessy133's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
my OB is experienced with twins, but I am considered High Risk b/c I went thru IVF to have my babies and had back to back surgeries before I did the IVF. She also said that they concentrate more on you and know exactly what to look for during twin pregnancy. Its different though cuz an OB can be experienced in Delivering twins, but they must know what are the norms and not normal things to look for during the pregnancy time, not just delivery

Ive heard so much regarding their weights and sizes. My OB also has been seeing me every 3 weeks since I started and since 12 wks Ive been seeing my Peri every 2 weeks. They say its very important to be checking the cervix and just keeping a closer eye on the babies. Once you have twins, its a whole different ball game in my opinion. I would have gotten a peri just incase even if my OB didnt tell me anything. But thank god she herself was the one who told me that I had to go to the Peri, also if it wasnt for going to the Peri I wouldnt have gotten all the tests, I got and maybe they wouldnt have caught what my baby girl has in her heart.

But its true what all the others say, Its up to you and how you feel comfortable. My OB also told me that dopplers are not good for twins so she always scans them when I go in. But its up to your doctor and you.

August 25th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to sisteen
I was kind of high risk. I was going to see a peri before I knew that I was having twins and I think the twins put it over the edge. Even going to the peri was any different than going to the doc. He didn't see me anymore sooner, but maybe it was because I was doing great.

August 25th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Platinum Supermommy
i never had one either. my ob only sends moms with twins to the peri if problems arise. even having gotten pregnant through ivf was not an issue or something to see a peri about. at least for my doctor as she also specializes in twin pregnancies.

August 25th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Jara's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I started seeing a Peri around 28 wks.. due to PTL and GD. Before that I say my regular OB who was experienced in multiple pgs.. but she was very proactive with my care.. I saw her about ever 3 weeks for an appt and a u/s..

Wyatt(5) Lydia(2) Emerson(5) Kaeden(7)
August 25th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Astrid's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, being that we had triplets, we were automatically referred to a peri. She also doubled as my OB so I only had to visit w/ her. Totally worth it in my opinion. I wouldn't have had it any other way. The problem w/ ID twins (if that is your situation) is that they can have TTTS at any point in the pgcy UNLESS they have their own placentas. I have heard too many sad stories of ID twins being dx w/ TTTS too late to help the situation.

If you are comfortable w/ your OB as your primary care giver, then go w/ it. If you have any doubt, get a peri!

August 26th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Aly Welch's Avatar Aly
Another benefit of the peri is you get to see and hear the babies more. As long as insurance covers it, why not?

Make a pregnancy ticker

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search