Identical or not?

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 26th, 2009, 06:18 AM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Every doctor and sonographer, except one, who did an ultrasound on us were convinced my girls are identical. They based this on the way the sacks and placenta were formed and how/where the cords inserted into the placenta. I look back at really early ultrasounds and don't see a peak between either sack. It just looks like one big sack with a very thin divider, indicating they probably are identical. I am not convinced though. Their head shapes are different from where they were positioned inside of me. Their facial features look so similar, but I still have a hard time believing the doctors are right. They look so different to me at times and their hair feels really different.

Has any one else questioned if their multiples were identical? How long did it take before you could visually tell that they definitely were or were not?

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

August 26th, 2009, 08:42 AM
tundrababy's Avatar Mega Super Twin Mommy
I think that it is normal that IDs don't look exactly like each other when they are newborns and you are probably the only one who notices the subtle differences. But I know of lots of moms in our multiples club who have done DNA testing - I think they send it out to a company called DNA solutions, a $150 or so. Our insurance approved testing for the boys because they had the same blood type and were both boys but as you can see ours are clearly frats

Last edited by tundrababy; August 26th, 2009 at 08:44 AM.
August 26th, 2009, 09:31 AM
I never thought to check if insurance would pay. Great idea.

Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

August 26th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Heatherjfitz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You know Val, I would do the DNA check. My girls had a very thin divider as well, and we didn't know if they were ID's or not until birth. With my OB they would not tell us one way or the other because there appeared to be one placenta, but it is common for the two placentas to fall next to each other and become fused. My opinion is that if there was a divider in the sac, it's up in the air until you get DNA testing. My OB also looked at the placenta after delivery and could not confirm if it was one or two. It wasn't that big of a deal to us because we could tell our girls apart right away. I knew they were frats, but had they looked alike (which some frats do...like the olsen twins) we would of had to get the DNA testing to know for sure. You girls look like IDs to me, but to my understanding you just can't know for sure based off of the placenta on u/s's. Maybe your OB or peri studied the placenta after birth as well, and knew it was just one? I would ask! Can't hurt! Ya know?

August 26th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My girls shared a placenta and had two seperate sacs with a very very thin membrane between them. I know they were identical because of the amnio i had done. The girls looked so different to me thou. I will never get to know how they would have looked alike since Madison died from her diaphragmatic hernia at 5 months old.
August 26th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatherjfitz View Post
You know Val, I would do the DNA check. My girls had a very thin divider as well, and we didn't know if they were ID's or not until birth. With my OB they would not tell us one way or the other because there appeared to be one placenta, but it is common for the two placentas to fall next to each other and become fused. My opinion is that if there was a divider in the sac, it's up in the air until you get DNA testing. My OB also looked at the placenta after delivery and could not confirm if it was one or two. It wasn't that big of a deal to us because we could tell our girls apart right away. I knew they were frats, but had they looked alike (which some frats do...like the olsen twins) we would of had to get the DNA testing to know for sure. You girls look like IDs to me, but to my understanding you just can't know for sure based off of the placenta on u/s's. Maybe your OB or peri studied the placenta after birth as well, and knew it was just one? I would ask! Can't hurt! Ya know?

I had no idea the olsen twins were frats!!! I would definitely get DNA testing then, Val.

August 26th, 2009, 01:23 PM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think I read that head shape is not something you should look at. That said, a friend of mine had 2 boys. All along they told her they were identical, and she even had a TTTS scare. Well, they were born and had different blood types!! So, not identical. The placenta had fused.

I think the only way of knowing 100% is getting the DNA test done, unless their blood types are different?

And can you post a pic of them?? I love trying to guess if they are id or not!

August 26th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Aly Welch's Avatar Aly
The DNA testing really is the only way to know for sure if they have the same gender, but it's expensive and likely won't be covered since it's not really medically necessary unless one develops a health problem, perhaps.

Make a pregnancy ticker
August 26th, 2009, 02:49 PM
I don't know their blood types. I just checked the stuff from the hospital and don't see it noted any where. I'll have to check with the pediatricians office and see if they have it documented. The pics below make them look somewhat alike as it's hard to see their head shapes. I know that's not a good way to tell if they are identical or not since their heads are different depending on how they were in the womb. I look at them one day and think they look a lot alike and the next think they look totally different.

Arya on the right, Eiley on the left

Eiley

Arya

365 Days in a Roe

August 26th, 2009, 03:26 PM
my money is on ID!!! plus they are super cute!! I love that first pic....

August 26th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Jessy133's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Girl I have no idea just wante dto say good luck and hope you find out soon!

xoxox

August 26th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We were told the twins had one placenta and one sac, but we'd have to do DNA to know for sure-they've got the same blood type. I think it'll cost us $95 to send out the swabs-the twins are half a lb apart, but look very similar in pics, so I have no idea.
August 27th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Heatherjfitz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
They look so ID to me! lol. I know its different when they are yours though...

August 27th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm another one that was told ID but they are not. I had major doubts when I was told ID so we did DNA testing when they were just a couple of months old. They did look alike then, but look nothing alike now. We could have saved our money and waited. We used dnanow.com and it was $99.
August 27th, 2009, 10:13 AM
*TornadoJenn*'s Avatar Jenn's the name
Send a message via AIM to *TornadoJenn*
I would def do the DNA testing, I could never have a "maybe" hanging over my head.

August 28th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Astrid's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We were told the girls were ID b/c they shared a placenta. WRONG. The placenta fused. They look totally different. We also did a DNA test for $99 & was well worth every penny which IMO is not expensive to know that your kids are or aren't ID.

As for the Olson girls, it is my understanding they have never had DNA testing but were in different sacs & 2 placentas. That doesn't mean anything, as we all know IDs that split on or before day 5 will have each of their own. It is very likely they are ID.

August 28th, 2009, 02:33 PM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Cute pics! I LOVE that first one!! I would say identical from the pics. I think if mine had come out looking that much alike I would have gotten the test.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search