Two Crying Newborns!

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 28th, 2009, 05:34 PM
kticesk8s's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ack! What do you more experienced moms do when you are alone and both of your twins are crying at the same time? If they are crying because they need something (feeding, changing, etc), I can tune out the other while I complete the necessary tasks, but if they both just need holding, what do you do? Any tips and tricks to save my sanity?

Today I discovered the vacuum cleaner - I put them both in the pack & play, and turned on the vacuum, and they went from screaming to sleeping in under a minute. Anything else that works for you?

• Me: 32.:. DH: 30...TTC w/ Male Factor.... BFP! Was triplets! NOW IT'S TWINS!!! 1 BOY, 1 GIRL
  • IVF #1: June '07 BFN
  • IVF #2: Oct '08 BFN
  • DIUI #1: Nov '08 BFP!!! Beta 593 @ 14/15 dpiui!! Beta 1897 @ 16/17 dpiui!!!!!! OMG!
August 28th, 2009, 06:39 PM
tundrababy's Avatar Mega Super Twin Mommy
MOBY WRAP, mama!! It saved my sanity during the first couple weeks/months. I wore Owen a lot as he was my needier one and sometimes wore them together. They also lived in their swing/bouncey seats .Good job finding the vacuum cleaner - I didn't vacuum for months!!! White noise maker helped us as well as swaddling them together.
Hang in there...it gets easier!!

August 28th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Lindsey608's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Lindsey608
That's what my magic boobs were for, lol! Seriously though, if both started freaking out that was the only way I could calm them down. It led to the bad habit of hooooours of comfort nursing though. Which we FINALLY just broke at 8 months.

August 28th, 2009, 10:26 PM
kticesk8s's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey608 View Post
That's what my magic boobs were for, lol! Seriously though, if both started freaking out that was the only way I could calm them down.
So far I've done this once -- I thought I was going to break down, and I plopped them on the EZ2nurse pillow, and all was well with the world! I hear bad things about pacifier boobs though, so I've been trying to avoid it!

Another trick that DH figured out -- our son doesn't like the swing quite yet, but we're working on it. DH carried him around in the sling (falls asleep in about a second) and then laid the whole sling in the swing... tricked him! LOL. He ended up sleeping for an hour in the sling/swing contraption.

tundrababy: When you say you swaddled them together, do you mean that they were each swaddled and laid next to each other? Or literally swaddled together in the same wrap?

• Me: 32.:. DH: 30...TTC w/ Male Factor.... BFP! Was triplets! NOW IT'S TWINS!!! 1 BOY, 1 GIRL
  • IVF #1: June '07 BFN
  • IVF #2: Oct '08 BFN
  • DIUI #1: Nov '08 BFP!!! Beta 593 @ 14/15 dpiui!! Beta 1897 @ 16/17 dpiui!!!!!! OMG!
August 28th, 2009, 10:44 PM
tundrababy's Avatar Mega Super Twin Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kticesk8s View Post

tundrababy: When you say you swaddled them together, do you mean that they were each swaddled and laid next to each other? Or literally swaddled together in the same wrap?

We swaddled them in receiving blankets then wrapped them together in a larger blanket - but our boys were born in winter so the weather allowed for this- I can't remember how long we did that for - maybe a couple of weeks?? Then we started swaddled them separately but propping them up together like the pic below (not sure if this was the safest but they were wedged in there pretty tight and couldn't wiggle down, out or roll into each other and it helped with Owens reflux). We would always find them cuddled into each other.

I wouldn't worry too much about the boobs being pacifiers yet. Its only natural - after all did they have paci's in the 1800s? Besides you're in still survival mode and you do what you gotta do to survive

Last edited by tundrababy; August 28th, 2009 at 10:57 PM.
August 28th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have two FP Rainforest swings, and they are my new best friends-when they're little you get really good at balancing one in each arm or on each hip and bouncing or swinging/singing. Once they hit 10lbs, that's done with, lol! Other times I'd put a baby in each carseat and rock them with my feet until they settled-the first few weeks are insane, then it gets better-my guys are 14 weeks now and we survived!

Lucky mother to five!

August 29th, 2009, 06:19 AM
PaytsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kticesk8s View Post
Another trick that DH figured out -- our son doesn't like the swing quite yet, but we're working on it. DH carried him around in the sling (falls asleep in about a second) and then laid the whole sling in the swing... tricked him! LOL. He ended up sleeping for an hour in the sling/swing contraption.
We used to "trick" them with the bopy pillow. When they were a little bigger, DH would put one in the in the center & tuck the sides of the pillow around them so they felt like they were being held. That way you can sit next to the one in the bopy & hold the other.

I downloaded "Sleeping Baby" from iTunes. I would play it on my ipod dock...it was & still is a lifesaver. It's got vacuum sounds, a car, blowdryer, crowed resturaunt, all sorts of white noise things that can help. I only use the vacuum.....maybe I should get my real vacuum out though, my house needs it!!! Ha!

August 29th, 2009, 11:17 AM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hang in there!!!! I hate when they are crying at the same time- and it even happens now.

You could: wear 1, hold the other
put 1 in the swing, hold the other (I did this a LOT)
Sit on the bed/couch and get both of them on your chest. I had to do this nightly for a few hours during the "witching hours" It was the only way they would calm down.

August 29th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Astrid's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Walking! Plop them in the stroller & walk around the block. Always worked to go outside for a change in scenery.

August 29th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayandsofiasmommy View Post
Hang in there!!!! I hate when they are crying at the same time- and it even happens now.

You could: wear 1, hold the other
put 1 in the swing, hold the other (I did this a LOT)
Sit on the bed/couch and get both of them on your chest. I had to do this nightly for a few hours during the "witching hours" It was the only way they would calm down.
sounds just like what i do now.
throw in a toddler and once in awhile all 3 are crying! lol

August 30th, 2009, 01:47 AM
Generally Crispy
After I have pulled all my hair out I try the baby carrier. I recently got a new one and I totally love it. I had a snugli before and my new one is a Cinch Worm puts the Snugli to shame!
August 30th, 2009, 07:34 AM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Great ideas! I'm going to need them. I love the swaddling together thing. I'm trying that tonight.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

August 30th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Heatherjfitz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I couldn't have lived without my swings. I had the Fisher Price Little lamb swings and I would have one in there while holding the other a lot. I tried to hold both at the same time as much as possible though. I remember rocking for hours in my rocking chair holding both of them... still though, I remember going crazy during feedings listening to one baby cry the whole time, the swings worked most of the time.... I was also lucky enough to have one baby that enjoyed floor time, so I would have her (alyssa) at my feet while holding/feeding Isabella. Isabella basically cried any time I sat her down so there wasn't much I could do for her... She is still like that just on a lesser scale! LOL.

August 31st, 2009, 07:32 PM
*TornadoJenn*'s Avatar Jenn's the name
Send a message via AIM to *TornadoJenn*
We did the Boppy trick as well. Being a working mom, I couldnt (and wouldn't, lol) allow my babies to "need" to be carried all the time or "need" to be pacified all the time, so we had to work out some "self-soothing" techniques. The swing never ever worked for us, and neither did the vibrating seat. Ahh, those were the good ol' days.

September 1st, 2009, 05:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to sisteen
I feel like a lucky mom. My boys didn't cry at the same time. If they did my husband or older son was home. I used the paci's for them and swaddled them up. If they are crying they need something... sleep, food, activity. Even though they are little they still have activity needs. play with them on the floor. I hope you can get through it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search