*Update in Post 18*So confused about when it's o.k to deliver?

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 9th, 2009, 10:40 PM
*Mandy*'s Avatar Co-Host Moms of Multiples
Send a message via AIM to *Mandy*
I swear EVERY time i go to my doctor's appointment it's a different story.It's making me nuts!The OB that is to do either my induction or c-section said all along we will schedule around 36-38 weeks.Well he's been on vacation the last two weeks so i've been seeing the other doctors.There's 3 doctors and one midwife.

When i started to have the funneling the one doctor said that she would like to get me to 36 weeks,but anytime after 34 weeks they will not stop labor.

This week i saw another doctor and she said that they won't even schedule an induction until 39 weeks!!She said she doesn't think i will make it that long but they won't do anything until then?She said she'd like to see me go into labor in a few weeks but won't do anything to make it happen??This worries me because my twins share a placenta and from what i've read don't they stop thriving after 36-37 weeks?And doesn't the placenta start to deteriorate?I mean,i want them to bake as long as possible so they have the best chance at being healthy and would love to avoid the NICU if at all possible,but is that safe to go that long with mono-di twins?

I'm SO glad my OB will be back this week so i can get some answers,I see him on Tuesday!!I guess my question is what if i don't go into labor on my own,won't they be putting them at risk letting me go until 39 weeks?(All my pregnancies but one have been overdue or right on time.)

Has anyone gone this far with twins?

Last edited by *Mandy*; September 15th, 2009 at 03:19 PM.
September 10th, 2009, 05:47 AM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was getting nervous toward the end of my pregnancy. I think I was a little paranoid about a cord accident since the girls had so little room. My placenta looked great at every ultrasound and at delivery, so I wasn't worried about that. If they aren't already, whomever is doing your ultrasound should be looking at the placenta soon. My doctor wouldn't induce or schedule a csection before 38 weeks.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

September 10th, 2009, 06:31 AM
FoxyJennRN's Avatar Jenn's the name
Send a message via AIM to FoxyJennRN
Are you going in for your weekly NST/BPP's?
Baby due 10/26

September 10th, 2009, 07:54 AM
tundrababy's Avatar Mega Super Twin Mommy
I think my OB said he would not let us go past 38.5wks then would induce d/t cord/placenta deterioration. I would definitely ask your OB about this one -

September 10th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Mandy....I noticed that your twins are sharing a placenta. When we found out we was having twins we was told the same thing. I am only 15 weeks, but I was wondering did you experience any problems or anything being the twins used the same placenta. I just wanted to make sure I do everything right beings they are in seperate sacs but using the same placenta. I was also told by the ultrasound tech that since they are in seperate sacs but sharing a placenta then that means they are identical???? Sorry to ask so many questions just curious since your twins are sharing a placenta too.
September 10th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
They would not stop my labor after 34 weeks. And my OB said she wouldn't allow me to go past 38 weeks. So if the girls hadn't arrived on their own (they did at 37+2), I would've been induced at exactly 38 weeks.

September 10th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
my doc won't let twin moms go past 38 weeks. we were planning on an induction july 1st (in honor of canada day for dh lol) which would have put me at 38 weeks, 3 days.

September 10th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Lindsey608's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Lindsey608
My Dr. also wouldn't let me go past 38 weeks. Though they ended up coming by c-section at 37w4d anyway

September 11th, 2009, 03:57 AM
Sweetpea0708's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Sweetpea0708 Send a message via MSN to Sweetpea0708 Send a message via Yahoo to Sweetpea0708
My OB said he doesn't want me going past 38 weeks. Actually, because of the shared placenta, he said that if they are big and healthy at 36 weeks, he would like to take them out, but will take it on an u/s by u/s basis. Pretty much I could go in at 36 weeks and not leave the hospital. So he has no problem letting them bake a little longer, he just wants to monitor me more at 36 weeks and make the call. They won't stop labor after 34 weeks, though if they aren't big enough I will have to deliver at a larger hospital.

September 11th, 2009, 09:55 AM
kticesk8s's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My peri wouldn't stop labor after 34 weekd, but wouldn't induce until 38 1/2 weeks uness there was a reason to. I was induced ay 37, because the babies were having growth issues.

• Me: 32.:. DH: 30...TTC w/ Male Factor.... BFP! Was triplets! NOW IT'S TWINS!!! 1 BOY, 1 GIRL
  • IVF #1: June '07 BFN
  • IVF #2: Oct '08 BFN
  • DIUI #1: Nov '08 BFP!!! Beta 593 @ 14/15 dpiui!! Beta 1897 @ 16/17 dpiui!!!!!! OMG!
September 11th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to sisteen
I think that not going pass 38 weeks is the norm. I don't know about not stopping labor.

September 11th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by momsboybailey View Post
Mandy....I noticed that your twins are sharing a placenta. When we found out we was having twins we was told the same thing. I am only 15 weeks, but I was wondering did you experience any problems or anything being the twins used the same placenta. I just wanted to make sure I do everything right beings they are in seperate sacs but using the same placenta. I was also told by the ultrasound tech that since they are in seperate sacs but sharing a placenta then that means they are identical???? Sorry to ask so many questions just curious since your twins are sharing a placenta too.
So far i haven't had any problems and i'm 32 weeks.Both babies have always been very similar in their growth, right now they are only a pound away from each other and in the 62% range.I drink ensures with extra protein everyday because that's suppose to help with growth with identicals.My cervix has started to funnel so i have to take it easy,but that's about it.And yes,if they share a placenta they are identical.

With identicals you just need to be monitored a little more closely since they are sharing the same placenta.I just started going for NST tests twice a week for this very reason.

I certainly don't mind any questions,I was the same way when i found out i was having identicals.Just don't go "googling" because their are alot of horror stories out there!!I learned that the hard way!
September 12th, 2009, 09:01 AM
lupti's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Piggybacking on Mandy...Google is not your friend when you are carrying identicals. I am 31 weeks now and my identicals developed TTTS, so it has been a challenge, but not all or most identical pregnancies go that way. Lots of water and lots of protein will definitely help with your pregnancy. I am no expert but feel free to ask questions if you have any!

Heather
BFP March 2, 12 dpo
Elias Scott and Griffin Karl here on 9/19/09!
September 12th, 2009, 11:59 AM
1+twins's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow... I am shocked to hear all these 38 weeks and 38 1/2 weeks thing. My dr. said she will not let me go past 37 weeks. I don't know if she'll stick with that, but still she said they do that because they have to schedule 2 OBs and 2 sets of nurses to be on. It is probably because they are a small hospital though. I was told that if I go before 36 weeks they will ambulance me up to the bigger hospital that has a NICU. Strange how they are all different.

September 12th, 2009, 05:19 PM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Different doctors have different views. Mine would not stop labor at 34 weeks. However, I scheduled an induction for 38 weeks (water broke at 37 and 4) BUT my OB said if I was not dilated he wouldn't have induced me. I think 37 weeks is perfect. I think if mine had stayed in any longer there may have been problems. But, it depends on each pregnancy too!

September 13th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Generally Crispy
They wouldnt stop us after 34 weeks.
We were scheduled at 38 weeks
We delivered by Emergency C-Section at 35.6weeks. (Eclipse was in the NICU 3 days and both came home with us)

I would think they would monitor you more closely with your pregnancy and deliver sooner than later.
September 13th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Heatherjfitz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by momsboybailey View Post

I am always so surprised that doctors tell their patients one way or the other based off of placenta. Our girls appeared to share a placenta too so my OB said they "may" be identical but it is common for two placentas to fall in the same location and fuse together. Thus appearing as one but actually being two. I was told that it is impossible to tell in that situation via u/s. I think the only way you can know 100% that you are having identicals is if they are in the same sac. Anyone else know anything about this? Just as a note, my girls are frats and it WAS two placentas fused together, looked like one placenta the whole time.... My OB had to look at the placenta during the c-section to be sure. I'd ask if they can tell if it's for sure it's just one placenta next u/s. Maybe it was just my OB lol.

September 15th, 2009, 03:17 PM
I finally got to see my OB today i was so happy and felt so much better after talking to him!

I told him what the other OB had said,he looked at me and said,no their is no way i'll be going that long and that twins follow a different protocol then singletons.I had my NST yesterday and both babies did really well and actually cooperated so we were only there about a half an hour.The only bad thing is i'm starting to thin and dilate and get contractions so he said we will just take things on a week by week basis with the NST's and sono's and see how things go.He said next week if i go into labor on my own he won't do anything to stop it since i'll be 34 weeks.We also talked about doing an amnio just to make sure their lungs are developed enough.I really want them to stay baking until at least 37 weeks though so they have the best chance at not needing any NICU time.He said if i don't go into labor on my own i will be having them around 36-37 weeks that that's considered full term for twins and there is basically no more room left in there for them to grow after that.So only about 3-4 more weeks to go!
September 15th, 2009, 04:57 PM
tundrababy's Avatar Mega Super Twin Mommy
Yah!!!! Babies will be here soon!!!
Did your doc mention getting steroid shots if you are already starting to thin and dilate. I got the steroid 2x at 32wks to help mature baby lungs because of the probs with my pre-e. I think I would prefer that to an amino. Are you appts weekly or biweekly yet?? Glad the girls cooperated for your NST - Owen would never stay still - he's the same way now as well

September 16th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Generally Crispy
Im glad you got to see your own doc finally. Be sure that he knows he's not permitted to leave the city for any reason prior to your delivery!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search