HCG levels more than doubling every day, twins???

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 14th, 2009, 12:11 PM
irunpink's Avatar Sophie
(I also posted this on the May due date forum )

I'm sure this is not exactly an original post title . Last Tuesday my levels were at 140 and Friday (same week) they went up to 913.

I didn't ovulate until 1 month and a half after stopping clomid (I have PCOS), so I don't know if this could be clomid twins???? Could it just be a singleton? Is it normal for HCG levels to more than double every 24 hours instead of every 48??? (Twins run on my mom's side of the family)

Other than that, I am just really exhausted, no morning sickness, but very hungry. Pants are tight already but maybe it's because of the eating ?

Thank you, *Kiliki*, for my sweet siggy!

September 14th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Could be a sign of twins, I didn't get my levels checked regularly but at 8 weeks I went to the ER in pain. They ran my HCG levels and they were very high (abnormally high they said); when they did the scan we found out why; there were two babies. I am 28 weeks now. So, with my very basic knowledge higher HCG levels can indicate twins. Hopefully you will have a definite answer in a few weeks when you go for your first appointment. I'm sure there are more women on here can give you more information about HCG levels.
FYI, my morning sickness didn't kick in until 8 weeks, I had absolutely no symptoms of pregnancy up to that point.
Congratulations and good luck with the pregnancy.
September 14th, 2009, 12:19 PM
irunpink's Avatar Sophie
Thanks! Did anything help with the morning sickness and was it really bad b/c of the twins?

September 14th, 2009, 01:59 PM
tundrababy's Avatar Mega Super Twin Mommy
I never had hcg checked, can't help you there. My only clue I was having twins was a super early HPT but I still never put the two together until my first u/s. My m/s was really bad - I took Zofran ODT and sometimes phenergan until I was 15wks and never really showed until then either.

Good Luck - do you have an u/s scheduled, either way KUP!

September 14th, 2009, 04:22 PM
TheyGrowLikeWeeds's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to TheyGrowLikeWeeds
Not everyone gets morning sickness even with twins. You may be more likely to have morning sickness and it's not uncommon to have worse symptoms than a singleton, but everyone is different. I hear stories all the time that with moms with both a set of twins and a single child had worse symptoms with their singleton pregnancy than with their twins. I had no morning sickness symptoms. Honestly, the only reason I knew I was pregnant with twins was because I went through IVF and they have to check from day one with ultrasounds. Then I got bigger and my sense of smell increased. I wasn't bothered at all by food, I just could smell it a mile away and I knew EXACTLY all the contents of the dish I was smelling. That's about it. I didn't feel sick, no funny cramping, boob soreness, or mentrual bleeding. I did have to pee more, but I do pee a lot anyhow, so that would not have been a bit tip off for me.

I'm just one example of someone that did not get any symptoms of pregnancy. But, I did work briefly in an OB's office as a medical assistant intern. Most of the time, you feel sick is because your body needs food and is a bit dehydrated. Try munching on crackers like saltines that soak up any acid build up and soda. Soda is good for nausea. I had ONE day of feeling only slight nausea and I just had that snack throughout the day and it did wonders for me!!! I didn't feel sick at all even after the first sip and nibble of a cracker. So you feel sick. eat and drink soda (not tons... too many stimulants are not good for a pregnancy, but a little just to get by).

I love my Peanut M&Ms Cameron & Kiefer!!Eliza's Blog
September 14th, 2009, 04:26 PM
tundrababy's Avatar Mega Super Twin Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipmunkeyMom View Post
Not everyone gets morning sickness even with twins. You may be more likely to have morning sickness and it's not uncommon to have worse symptoms than a singleton, but everyone is different. I hear stories all the time that with moms with both a set of twins and a single child had worse symptoms with their singleton pregnancy than with their twins. I had no morning sickness symptoms. Honestly, the only reason I knew I was pregnant with twins was because I went through IVF and they have to check from day one with ultrasounds. Then I got bigger and my sense of smell increased. I wasn't bothered at all by food, I just could smell it a mile away and I knew EXACTLY all the contents of the dish I was smelling. That's about it. I didn't feel sick, no funny cramping, boob soreness, or mentrual bleeding. I did have to pee more, but I do pee a lot anyhow, so that would not have been a bit tip off for me.

I'm just one example of someone that did not get any symptoms of pregnancy. But, I did work briefly in an OB's office as a medical assistant intern. Most of the time, you feel sick is because your body needs food and is a bit dehydrated. Try munching on crackers like saltines that soak up any acid build up and soda. Soda is good for nausea. I had ONE day of feeling only slight nausea and I just had that snack throughout the day and it did wonders for me!!! I didn't feel sick at all even after the first sip and nibble of a cracker. So you feel sick. eat and drink soda (not tons... too many stimulants are not good for a pregnancy, but a little just to get by).

I remember the nurse at OB's office told me that, I went home and drank some ginger ale then promptly heaved it up out of my mouth and nose - its was awful like an enema for your nose

September 14th, 2009, 07:11 PM
PaytsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by irunpink View Post
Thanks! Did anything help with the morning sickness and was it really bad b/c of the twins?

I had much worse morning sickness with my singleton than with my twins.

Good luck! Congrats on your pregnancy!

September 15th, 2009, 06:55 AM
I have no comparison as this is my first pregnancy, but the morning sickness was bad. I would eat some crackers and there they were 10-20 minutes later! I took zofran from about 9 weeks to 14, I was afraid to stop but tried a couple of days and seemed okay. My boobs were VERY sore and swollen, that also eased a lot around the 14 week mark. Had some mild cramping. Now, at 28 weeks I just have aches, soreness and my waddle is coming along really well!!
September 15th, 2009, 11:08 AM
TheyGrowLikeWeeds's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to TheyGrowLikeWeeds
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundrababy View Post
I remember the nurse at OB's office told me that, I went home and drank some ginger ale then promptly heaved it up out of my mouth and nose - its was awful like an enema for your nose
LOL, I'm so sorry about that!!! They had some coca cola at the office. Maybe that is less irritating? I guess it doesn't work for everyone. OY! That sounded awful!

I love my Peanut M&Ms Cameron & Kiefer!!Eliza's Blog
September 15th, 2009, 04:28 PM
*Mandy*'s Avatar Co-Host Moms of Multiples
Send a message via AIM to *Mandy*
I never had any morning sickness either,but i was extremely tired.I only knew it was twins because they told me at a 6 week ultrasound.

Congrats on your pregnancy!KUP!
September 15th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Poncho06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My levels rose at a normal rate with the girls, and I didn't really have much of anything for morning sickness until I was in my 3rd.

Did they do or are they planning to do an ultrasound soon. I know HCG levels that rise quickly can be a sign for twin as well as Molar or Blighted Ovum.

September 19th, 2009, 09:04 AM
*TornadoJenn*'s Avatar Jenn's the name
Send a message via AIM to *TornadoJenn*
I was less sick with my twins than with my singleton, and have no idea what my HCG levels were. Sorry!

September 20th, 2009, 08:58 AM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think mine more than doubled, but that doesn't necessarily mean twins. I also have PCOS. I'm a little confused. You said you did not ovulate w/ your last round of clomid. Were they monitoring you? When I took clomid and didn't ovulate,m I started progesterone to bring on AF. Why did you not do this? If you didn't o till a month and a half later, I would be concerned about egg quality IF they are the follies from the clomid.

September 20th, 2009, 09:10 AM
irunpink's Avatar Sophie
Thanks for your response .

No I did not ovulate with the last two rounds of Clomid. They weren't monitoring me, unfortunately. Even though I didn't ovulate with that last cycle of clomid, Af still showed. I then ovulated about 20 days after af showed (a month an a half after stopping clomid). I just had an ultrasound and everything looks ok so far. I'll be 6 weeks tomorrow, I didn't see twins, so I guess my levels just went up a lot the first week. I do have a cyst on my left ovary from where I ovulated, though. Thankfully, I'm being monitored closely now.

** Just a note, I've ovulated on my own before (even though it's very sporadic). I'm not sure if these are the follies from the Clomid, it seems like they wouldn't be, considering I did have a period after that last dose of Clomid. The doctor also said it's possible to have a period after clomid but still not ovulate.

Last edited by irunpink; September 20th, 2009 at 09:12 AM.
September 20th, 2009, 11:20 AM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's very unlikely that you did not ovulate. If you got AF, that usually means you did O. Congrats! I'm betting on a single

September 20th, 2009, 11:24 AM
irunpink's Avatar Sophie
Thanks . Yep, I'm thinking single too.

May 10th, 2011, 01:07 AM
I just found out that i was pregnant about a week ago 2 weeks after a misscariage and i had my hcg levels tested on may 6th and it was at 90 and I had my hcg levels tested on may 9th and it was at 576, only in 2 days! Could this mean that i am having twins? Is this normal do you think? I'm really worried i go in for another test in 2 days n don't know what to expect! Ples comment!
May 10th, 2011, 06:32 AM
mommabirdof4
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaytsMommy View Post
I had much worse morning sickness with my singleton than with my twins.
Yup, me to...I had morning sickness all 9 months with my 2 singletons...this time around I think I had pretty typical sickness...sickness atarted at 7 weeks last till around 14 weeks...and now at 32 weeks it is back...and it sucks!
May 10th, 2011, 07:18 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexismommy07 View Post
I just found out that i was pregnant about a week ago 2 weeks after a misscariage and i had my hcg levels tested on may 6th and it was at 90 and I had my hcg levels tested on may 9th and it was at 576, only in 2 days! Could this mean that i am having twins? Is this normal do you think? I'm really worried i go in for another test in 2 days n don't know what to expect! Ples comment!
I had the same thing happened. I miscarried january 23rd and found out 4 weeks later I was pregnant because I decided to test just to see since I hadn't gotten my period yet from the m/c... I went in for blood and it was 118 or something and 2 days later was at almost 400.. I didn't think anything of it because I didn't know much about the beta numbers at the time but sure enough a couple weeks later I had an u/s and there were 2!! it was definitely a shock lol it could definitely be a sign of twins but also some people just produce more.. let us know!

May 10th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Rae-of-Sunshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My going theory (though it is just "my" theory, and I have no proof to back this up) is that there is something about a miscarriage that makes you more likely to have twins right after that, because I miscarried in August and was pregnant in September with twins. It could just be anecdotal, but it seems like I have talked to a LOT of moms of twins who miscarried the cycle before they got pregnant with twins.

In fact, I tell my sister she jinxed me, because in talking to me after the m/c she told me of a friend who m/c her first pregnancy and 3 months later was pregnant with twins. It was just about exactly 3 months between when we were in the doctor's office for the m/c and when we were back and he was telling us it was twins.

Psalm 139:9-10
]

Tags
hcg levels , twins

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search