H1N1 Shot (Swine Flu)

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 21st, 2009, 10:18 AM
I just wanted to see what you other ladies thought. I went to the doctor Friday (9/18) for a normal check up, I am 16 weeks. She mentioned to me about getting the H1N1 shot. I have heard several different stories about it, but I wanted to hear what you all had to say. I want to get the shot to protect my babies however I have heard it is a live virus they inject into your body and I don't want that to hurt them. Has anyone had the shot or is anyone else been told to get it or getting it?
September 22nd, 2009, 04:04 PM
babybatax2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The doctor suggested for me to get it, I will not get it. I do not want to put god knows what into my body and my babies. Here is something interesting I found about it:

Q: What safety studies have been done on the 2009 H1N1 influenza vaccine and have any been done in pregnant women?

A: A number of clinical trials which test 2009 H1N1 influenza vaccine in healthy children and adults are underway. These studies are being conducted by the National Institutes of Allergies and Infectious Diseases (NIAID). Studies of 2009 H1N1 influenza vaccine in pregnant women are expected to begin in September.

from: CDC H1N1 Flu | 2009 H1N1 Influenza Vaccine and Pregnant Women

So they haven't even done studies yet! Yikes!

07/2007 03/2011 01/2012
September 23rd, 2009, 07:34 AM
babybata....that is me, I don't want it. It is everything that was said that kinda scared me. I have heard if you get it you can get over it, but when she mention death it freak me out. I just want to protect the babies and myself. Thank-you for you answer...I think I will wait!!!!
September 23rd, 2009, 09:10 AM
kticesk8s's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If I was in that position, I wouldn't get it - too many unknowns I think.

• Me: 32.:. DH: 30...TTC w/ Male Factor.... BFP! Was triplets! NOW IT'S TWINS!!! 1 BOY, 1 GIRL
  • IVF #1: June '07 BFN
  • IVF #2: Oct '08 BFN
  • DIUI #1: Nov '08 BFP!!! Beta 593 @ 14/15 dpiui!! Beta 1897 @ 16/17 dpiui!!!!!! OMG!
September 23rd, 2009, 05:52 PM
babybatax2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Don't meant to scare anyone, but that's my opinion. No need to put drugs into your body that have not even been researched yet.

Even the flu shot, I will not be getting one just because I don't want that in my baby's.

I worked way to make them, I don't want to take any risks!

07/2007 03/2011 01/2012
October 3rd, 2009, 06:28 AM
*TornadoJenn*'s Avatar Jenn's the name
Send a message via AIM to *TornadoJenn*
I've never had a flu shot and don't plan on starting anytime soon. This is very controversial though.

October 3rd, 2009, 05:18 PM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am GLAD I am not pregnant right now! On one hand, I would not want to get it. I did not even get the regular flu shot when I was pregnant. On the other hand, it is hitting pregnant women pretty hard. Tough one. Are you working? Could you be exposed to it easily?

October 3rd, 2009, 07:44 PM
tundrababy's Avatar Mega Super Twin Mommy
I am sooo glad I am not preggo this year. I think that I might have gotten the vaccine because of my work. Today alone, in the first 8hrs of my shift, I had 3 confirmed H1N1 pts. Two of them were kiddos are doing well at home, the other was 32yr old who had to be admitted. Its really hitting pregnant women hard in the third tri, some reports have the mortality rate @ 33%. We have decided not to get the boys the H1N1 vaccine but the seasonal flu - although with all my exposure perhaps the boys would receive super anti-bodies through EBM. Anyway its a hard decision and a very personal one.

October 21st, 2009, 07:30 AM
Thank-you to everyone for your response. I am currently working but I only have about 7 people in my building. My fear is my husband works in a factory and my son is in public schools, I fear for any of us to get it. I go back and forth, I have started making my husband drink airbourne and my son is taking extra vitamin C so I hope that helps some!!! I don't want the shot but I don't want the infection either. I am now 20wks and everything is going great with the girls!!!!
October 22nd, 2009, 06:26 AM
Sweetpea0708's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Sweetpea0708 Send a message via MSN to Sweetpea0708 Send a message via Yahoo to Sweetpea0708
I just spoke with my OB yesterday and he made a point I hadn't thought about: If I get the vaccine, the twins will have passive immunity, which will be beneficial when they are born seeing as it will be the height of the cold weather/flu season and they won't be able to be vaccinated against it until 6 months. Basically, if there IS a "pandemic", they will be protected which is good not only because they will be newborns but also because they probably will be premature (and/or might require a NICU stay, which increases exposure to catching something). I hadn't thought about it that way.

He also pointed out that if I get it right after birth and breastfeed, the twins will still be protected via breastmilk. So I'm considering getting it right after birth if there is still a huge caution about it.

Just wanted to put that out there because it is something I hadn't even thought about.

October 22nd, 2009, 05:02 PM
1+twins's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree it is a very stressful time and the decision is so tough. My husband did make a great point though... He said there are no known risks to getting the shot (even though there are no studies) but there ARE known risks to getting the swine flu. I was convinced I wasn't going to get it, but now I am after talking to my husband. I told him I would never forgive myself if something happened to the babies because of it, but then he replied will you always blame yourself if you don't get it and something happens to the babies because you get swine flu? So there are so many things to think about. I think you should just really do what is best for you and do what you believe is best for you. Don't let others talk to into their decision because they think they are right. I don't think anyone knows what is the right answer to this. Best of luck ladies.

October 22nd, 2009, 06:00 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
I am getting it wednesday. My son Ethan was stillborn because of disease I had that was easily detected and easily treated, I am not going through that again.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search