Two sets of fraternal twins in a row?

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 8th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Lovin' Landon's Avatar I believe in Angels!
I'm pregnant with my second set of fraternal twins conveived naturally. I didn't know that was even possible! Has anyone else had twins twice in a row?

June 8th, 2010, 01:31 PM
nat1970's Avatar Nicole - Mom2Leah,Ty,TJ
Congrats!!! How do you know they are fraternal without knowing the sexes?

June 8th, 2010, 02:14 PM
I don't understand. With my boys, I was told they were fraternal because of the membrane seperating them. They were both boys. I was lead to believe identical twins were in the same sac, that there is no membrane seperating them and that gender had nothing to do with it.

June 8th, 2010, 02:16 PM
143SDM's Avatar Mom to 3 kiddos!
It hasn't happened to me personally but I know some people that have more than one set of multiples. One couple actually had triplets after their twins. And yes, all were without MA. Your odds of having multiples goes up once you've had a multiple pregnancy. "For mothers who have already had one set of fraternal twins, their chances of conceiving another set are four times greater than the average woman, or about 1 in 12!" That being said...I am scared to death to get pg again, lol.

Thank you so much to Mom2*Lauren*Jacob* for my beautiful siggy

June 8th, 2010, 02:29 PM
I did ALOT of reading when I was pregnant.....Identical and fraternal twins can have their own amniotic sacs and their own placentas, depending on when the egg split for identicals. However, ONLY identicals can share. The only way to be 100% if they are fraternal or identical when have 2 of the same sex with separate sacs is by testing. "It is a common misconception that two placentas means twins are dizygotic (non-identical). But if monozygotic (identical) twins separate early enough, the arrangement of sacs and placentas in utero is indistinguishable from dizygotic twins."
And as far as gender goes, identicals are always the same sex, fraternals can be same sex or one of each.

Hope that helps. This is a good place to go look if you are still confused:
Twin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by 143SDM; June 8th, 2010 at 03:34 PM.
June 8th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow! Congrats! I know two people in real life that had another set of multiples after their first. One lady had identical twin girls followed by identical triplet boys. The other had two sets of fraternal boys.

I was nervous about getting pregnant again because the odds of having multiples does go up after already having a set of fraternals. However, I'm just expecting one this time!

June 8th, 2010, 03:41 PM
nat1970's Avatar Nicole - Mom2Leah,Ty,TJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 143SDM View Post
I did ALOT of reading when I was pregnant.....Identical and fraternal twins can have their own amniotic sacs and their own placentas, depending on when the egg split for identicals. However, ONLY identicals can share. The only way to be 100% if they are fraternal or identical when have 2 of the same sex with separate sacs is by testing. "It is a common misconception that two placentas means twins are dizygotic (non-identical). But if monozygotic (identical) twins separate early enough, the arrangement of sacs and placentas in utero is indistinguishable from dizygotic twins."
And as far as gender goes, identicals are always the same sex, fraternals can be same sex or one of each.

Hope that helps. This is a good place to go look if you are still confused:
Twin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Good explanation.

I'm surprised your OB or peri even told you they were frats. Also, your chances of having multiples goes up even more if you are of advanced maternal age (35 or older). Which is my case, although since I'm having twin boys my peri doesn't know if they are fraternal, or identical but assuming fraternal because of my age.

June 8th, 2010, 04:17 PM
I had no idea! I assumed because they looked the same as they did last time, and the boys were fraternal, these two were fraternal too. I was told with the boys at my ultrasound that they were fraternal. It was done by a regaular ultrasound tech. I just assumed, I had no idea it could be like that. I was taught identical twins shared a sac! I'm excited either way, but curious now about Aidan and Landon.
Is there any possible way to avoid getting pregnant with twins in the future? I love the babies, all of them, but I'd like to experience a singleton pregnancy one of these days!

I'm under 35, but I was a twin. My brother died at birth. Twins run in my side of the family.

June 8th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Lots of people assume stuff and don't know much about multiple pregnancies. I have a family FULL of twins and I am in the medical field but I still read up on twins like crazy to be sure of things, lol.

For decreasing your chance of twins again...move to Hawaii! They have the lowest incidence of twins than any other state. Honestly though, I don't think that there is really anything that you can do. If you are getting pg with fraternals you are releasing more than one egg when you ovulate...that is a genetic/natural thing for YOUR body. I don't think that there is anything that can change that. But I guess ask your doctor.....

Also, the fact that you are a twin increases your chances of having twins. So, being a twin and a mom of 2 sets of twins...I think you are meant to be surrounded by twins. This goes along with the ovulation thing...twins are hereditary on the woman's side only! Because your mom had frats she also released more than one egg at a time...she passed that down to you. If you have girls they have a high chance of this also. If you just have boys, no worries as they don't effect the chance of twins at all! My grandma had twins, that is where my history of "over ovulating" comes from!

Good luck with this pregnancy!

Last edited by 143SDM; June 8th, 2010 at 04:30 PM.
June 8th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I had an ultrasound tech tell me that my girls were frats because they had separate sacs. I went to my peri and he said they were identical because they shared one placenta. They lab from the first ultrasound also said identical. I had an Amnio done because of twin A having a Diaphragmatic Hernia and that confirmed they were identical. We have several members in our twins club who have more than one set of twins. Some with medical assistance and others not. My ob told me that my chance of another set of identical twins is 1 in 70,000. Any persons chance of identical twins is 1 in 250. I do have a higher risk for fraternal twins since I am almost 35. Saying a prayer for a healthy pregnancy for you.
June 8th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Krystal, you're like a medical book of facts, I love it! LOL Thanks for all the information, I didn't know any of that. Hawaii does sound tempting! When I got pregnant with the boys, I was so overjoyed, until I went into preterm labor. Now, I'm excited, but I'm so scared something will go wrong. I'm scared I'll lose them. Normal feelings given my past I believe. Are fraternal or identical twins more common?
Thank you for the prayers and all the information!

June 8th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Lol, thanks. Hawaii sounds very tempting to me also...let's go!! lol

You're feelings are totally normal. Try not to let the fear consume you too much so that you can enjoy this pregnancy...take it a day at a time. Each day that goes by is a day closer to healthy babies Sorry to hear that Landon is still in the NICU, that has to be really hard!

I would say that fraternals are more common since the odds of having identicals are less (I do know quite a few identicals though!!). Also with fertility treatments being used more and more resulting in fraternals.

I will keep you and this pregnancy and Landon in my prayers. I hope he gets to come home soon and that his siblings are born happy and healthy!!

June 8th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats and welcome. I don't think I know anyone IRL who has more than one set of multiples.

I hope you are followed really closely with this pregnancy and your babies are nice and healthy.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

June 8th, 2010, 10:47 PM
MommaOnCloud9's Avatar Mommy of 3!
My OB also told me it's very likely my twins are frats. I think she said that because although, yes, identicals can have two separate sacs depending on when the separation happened, that's statistically much less likely to occur than it is to have frats. Frats are already more likely to occur then identicals and frats are that much more likely to occur than identicals who split early enough to have separate sacs. So, no, she didn't say 100% I'm having frats, but she said it's very likely they are - which is statistically correct. So, maybe, that's where her doc is coming from - especially considering she's already had frats, making it more likely the 2nd set are frats as well.

Yesterday, MSN had a link to a story about a woman with THREE sets of frats! At least the oldest were 15-year-old girls, so they could help out with the babies. But, it was kind of funny that she had one of each - g/g, b/g, and b/b. The b/g set was supposed to be triplets but she lost one (I think pretty early).

I hope you have happy and healthy 9 months and little Landon gets to come home soon enough!
June 8th, 2010, 10:47 PM
cachex10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congratulations and welcome!

I've watched this show on TLC or Discovery about a woman who has 3 sets of fraternal twins ... that's all she makes apparently are twins! She hasn't had a single pregnancy. On that show a twin expert said that 70% of twins are fraternal so yeah, they're a lot more common than IDs. My girls were di/di twins and we still don't know if they are identical or not; my OB and peri said there was no way to find out until they were born. We're going to get around to ordering a DNA test at some point to figure it out ... but di/di twins can be identical if the egg split in the first 3 days after fertilization.

Twins run in my family, too ... on my mom's side. My grandmother and a female cousin both had twins but unfortunately one of the twins in each set was born still. My set were the first live set that we know of.

I hope that you have a very healthy pregnancy with two very healthy babies!

June 9th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Sweetpea0708's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Sweetpea0708 Send a message via MSN to Sweetpea0708 Send a message via Yahoo to Sweetpea0708
Congrats and welcome!

I don't know anyone with more than one set of twins in RL.

June 9th, 2010, 11:43 AM
You girls are full of information! Can you suggest any good twin sites or books?
I was so scared to get pregnant with twins again, but once I did, I was so excited. Everything will work out the way it's meant to. Even if it's not the way I want it to. I've been hearing quite a few stories the last few days about women having three sets of fraternal twins. Or one woman who had a singleton with her first pregnancy, twins for her second and triplets for her third! My HR OB didn't say they were fraternal twins, it's what I had assumed because I thought it was the membrane that classified them as fraternal. It was the ultrasound lady who said they were fraternal.

Whatever type of twins they are, I'm happy they're in there! I had recently asked if using Aidan's things, crib, swing and what not would be wrong, but someone said it would be a way to include him. So I will only need to buy for one baby, something I haven't done before! A lady from my DDC who had a preemie offered her daughter's preemie clothing if I have a girl. That will come in handy.

I'm afraid of feeling guilty though. I already feel a little bit like I'm trying to fill Aidan's spot. And that would never happen! It's only been 3 months, I still have time to heal right?

June 9th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I lost Madison just over 2 years ago. It took me a long time to get where I am now. I know the first few months I was very numb. Their is nothing wrong with using Aidan's things. I used some things for McKenzie and gave some away. Do what is right for you.
June 12th, 2010, 05:28 PM
JoMomma's Avatar Double the Fun!
Congrats!

I just had to throw this in here.. my Great Grandmother had 15 children, in those 15 children there were 4 sets of faternal twins! I told my doctor this with my first pregnancy and he said that he was sure I would eventaully have faternal twins. Sure enough I did! I'm done having children, but if I did decide to get pregnant again, I would be so scared it would be twins again (i would love it) but be darn scared!
June 13th, 2010, 10:27 AM
navy_wife's Avatar Tasha
I am also pregnant with my second set of fraternal twins.
We just have hyperovulation working on our sides to make us crazy insane momma's!!!LOL. My first pregnancy was a singleton but the last 2 have been twins. It just seems like the norm to me now. When I talk to other pregnant women I seem to refer to their baby as babies and they are like oh no, just one but to me having 2 just seems like thats what everyone does, lol. I don't even remember what is was like only being pregnant with one.

Good luck with everything

Thank you so much to Alexaiden mommy for my beautiful siggy!!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search