Quad Screen

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 13th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Veteran
Hi Ladies,
Well we just had our appt with MFM doc on Thursday and had an u/s. Everything looked great! Both babies were measuring right on and all organs looked great. However, at that appt I got my blood drawn for the quad screen. We didn't do this test with our daughter, but then with all of her medical problems we wish we would have had one more piece of information. So this time we decided to do it. Well, our results came back with a higher risk for Down's Syndrome, our risk went from 1:900 to 1:143. The biggest culprit was that my HCG level was really high.

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you had the test done and had an increased risk? We will not do an amnio unless we have to have an amnio reduction for TTTS later down the line. So right now we will just be followed with ultrasounds. Oh, and by the way...we are having identical twins that share a placenta...not sure if that would sway the numbers.

I am so bummed...just wish we wouldn't have done it now.

Thanks,
Jacquie

December 13th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Having multiples does sway the numbers. It becomes much harder to accurately assign a risk ratio with twins, trips and higher. I think the ratio you're given would make a lot more sense if compared to other twin pregnancies, but that isn't done by most doctors/labs.

I hope that the number is just off because of that.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

December 13th, 2010, 06:17 PM
MIL2lissy8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i don't know about the ratio for twins but in general, that test is wrong A LOT! i had a friend that got a positive result indicating downs syndrome with her single baby. she struggled but went ahead with the pregnancy anyways. she ended up having a perfectly normal baby girl. although your risk might truly be higher, i encourage you to hang in there, wait and see and don't waste a minute of your pregnancy worrying about it. i know, easier said than done. God be with you.

~~terre~~
December 13th, 2010, 10:36 PM
April Flowers's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We got lucky in that our local lab does take the twin pregnancy into account, and they told us that our screen was right on the money for multiples but wouldn't give us an actual risk factor. Those tests give a false positive a LOT, so I wouldn't even worry about it at all if I were you.

Gorgeous siggy courtesy of tasha_mae!
Oct 26, 2010--Thing 1 is a BOY and Thing 2 is a GIRL

December 13th, 2010, 11:23 PM
nateandjenny's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We didn't have anything like that done so I don't know anything about it. I hope everything turns out ok! I'll be thinking about you and your little ones.

December 14th, 2010, 05:26 AM
Veteran
Thanks everyone! I am pretty sure the lab we went to did take twins into account as the geneticist did mention something about that, but then when I looked online I saw that really the test can only be used to screen for neural tube defects and for Down's and Trisomy 18 it really isn't as accurate for twins. Who knows...I just have to keep telling myself that the ultrasound looked great on Thursday and even if the statistic is right, we still have a less than 1% chance of having Down's Syndrome babies, and even if we have DS babies that isn't the worst thing either...

December 14th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Super Mommy
I have always declined the test only b/c they are so many false positives. I hope everything works out - sorry I couldn't be of more help!

December 14th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Jara's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My Dr didn't even give me the option of doing the test when I was pg with the twins. She said that the test just simply wasn't designed for more then one baby and that if I DID to the test it WOULD back with higher numbers for all of the issues.

Wyatt(5) Lydia(2) Emerson(5) Kaeden(7)
December 15th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My doctor warned me that that test wasn't at all designed for multiples.

December 18th, 2010, 08:14 AM
tundrababy's Avatar Mega Super Twin Mommy
Congrats on the ID twins - how exciting You are totally right, even with the higher ratio, your odds are still less than 1%. I know its hard to worry about the test, but its a catch-22, we opted out of the test and I would worry that we were going to have a situation like your daughter. So as best you can try and enjoy the pregnancy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search