Working after they are born?

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 27th, 2010, 05:50 AM
Rae-of-Sunshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was wondering if anyone here went back to work after their twins were born, and if so, what advice you can give me? I am going to try to take a good long time off after the birth, but how long I take will depend on if I have to take any off before hand. Either way I have to go back to work, no real choice there. My DH is going to be a SAHD, so there will be someoneat home with the babies, but obviously he is missng some of the right equipment ....

If you did go back to work, what made it easier on you? What things should I think about / prepare for ahead of time? I know I am going to need a good breast pump, so any recommendations on that would be helpful, but I am sure there are things I am not even thinking about ....

Thanks in advance! I have lots of time, but I know it is going to go by fast, so I am trying to get a jump on it

Psalm 139:9-10
]
December 27th, 2010, 10:52 AM
nateandjenny's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't have any advice since I stayed home. hopefully someone has some good advice for you.

December 27th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm not much help either because I decided to stay home after the girls were born.

I love my Medela pump in style. I honestly don't think I would have been successful BFing without it. My kids weren't great at nursing and I had to let them nurse, then bottle feed to make sure they were actually eating. The Medela pump was able to get my supply up and I had more than enough BM for the two of them.

Your insurance company may pay for a pump. You'll want to look into that before buying one on your own.

There are plenty of twin moms who go back to work. Hopefully some of them will have info for you.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

December 27th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I work from home, the twins are now 22 months actual---childcare for four so young would wipe us out. I am going back casual to my old OR job in January, but only on dh's days off
December 28th, 2010, 10:23 AM
tundrababy's Avatar Mega Super Twin Mommy
I went back when the boys were 14wks old, although I changed my positon so I only had to work a couple shifts a month (I am a nurse) and usually worked night shift so I missed the least amount of feedings. A good pump is a must! My insurance covered the cost of a pump but the hospital also let employees use the hospital grade pumps while I work. Then in Sept when the boys were 20mos, I went back part time ( 2 12hr/wk) We are very fortunate since my DH is also a nurse we work opposite days. My house is a little more messy and I miss the kids (sometimes don't see them for several days since I leave before they wake up and come home when they are in bed) but it has been nice to get out of the house and have adult time.

I had a medela PIS, it was great. I think the hands-free pumping bra was fantastic too! If you really want a speedy pump, you can rent the medela symphony they usually cost about a dollar a day.

Last edited by tundrababy; December 28th, 2010 at 10:26 AM.
December 29th, 2010, 08:56 AM
SarieP's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I too would LOVE to hear suggestions for this post! I have to go back to work when the twins are 8 weeks I might be able to swing 10 weeks but that's the most. I don't mind going back to work....I wish I could work part time but my job doesn't offer that.

I would love to stay home with the babies for a year but that's never gonna happen!!

December 29th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We talked about the pump, but we didn't really touch formula. I am still BFing, but honestly don't think I could have continued pumping enough if I'd gone back to work. My job just wasn't very conducive to pumping and the only place they had for me to do it was part of a bathroom. It's nice if you can keep pumping, but being a twin mom can be tiring. Keep in mind that formula isn't your enemy and once you're back at work it can be very helpful if you aren't able to pump enough. If that happens, you can continue to BF when you're around and give formula when you're at work.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search