Would like info on triplet pregnancy...

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 31st, 2010, 10:06 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi everyone!

I'm looking for some information on triplet pregnancies. Well, I'm actually looking for information and for your own experiences. Does anyone have triplets in here?

The info is not for me, it is for my cousin, Amy, who is 12 weeks pregnant with triplets. She has pcos and her dh has male factor issues, so IVF was their only means of getting pregnant (I know the lingo because I, myself, went through treatments with IUI and injections for pcos). Anyway, they transferred 3 embryos due to her age (she's 37) and because they didn't think one would make it anyway (it was a lot smaller). Well, alas, they all made it and she has triplets

I think everyone, including Amy and her husband, are excited, but also a little bit nervous! We're all worried about her health because about 8 years ago, she had a benign brain tumor removed. Thankfully, it was not cancerous but had it kept growing, it would have killed her anyway. They were not able to remove all of it and so a small piece remains. Some of Amy's doctors are worried that all the pregnancy hormones might make it grow again Scary stuff!

So, I have some questions if you don't mind...speaking from your own personal experiences (twin moms feel free to answer too).

1. Did you have any complications with your pregnancy?
2. At what gestational age did you deliver?
3. When did you go out on bed rest, if you did?
4. How long were the babies in the nicu, if they were?
5. What has it been like financially/emotionally once the babies were here?

Thanks so much for any information ladies
Alexandra Eva is here! Born 1/17/10 at 5:55pm. Weighing in at 6lbs, 8oz and 20 Inches Long!
Secondary Infertility Blog*~*http://onemunchkin.blogspot.com/ *~*

December 31st, 2010, 11:43 AM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
First of all, congrats to your cousin. I'm sure the news of triplets is both scary and exciting for her at the same time.

1. Did you have any complications with your pregnancy?...I had a lot of BH contractions starting early. By 24 weeks my doctor put me on meds to stop them. Those meds elevated my blood sugars and made it appear like I had gestational diabetes. As soon as I stopped the meds, my blood sugars were fine no matter what I ate.
2. At what gestational age did you deliver? 36w5d
3. When did you go out on bed rest, if you did? No bedrest, but I was told not to workout after 24w. I was also told to sit as much as possible and basically stay at home to avoid bedrest if I could.
4. How long were the babies in the nicu, if they were? No NICU
5. What has it been like financially/emotionally once the babies were here? We are fine financially and emotionally. The first few months are crazy, but you get into a routine and figure out how to do things. I figured that it was chaos at home or chaos if I was out and about, so we went out all the time. I would wear one or both of the girls and grocery shop or do anything else I needed to do. People are really generous when they find out you're having multiple. We have more matching clothes than we would like, but they were free, so we would never complain. We have neighbors and people from church who lend us clothes. We bought a ton of our baby items used. I BF, so we didn't have the cost of formula for two at once. We use cloth diapers and wipes, so we don't have the cost of disposables. We did use disposables in the beginning though. I'm sure having triplets is totally different than having twins though. Your cousin should look at the blog network Multiples and More. She can find triplet blogs there that might be helpful.

Thanks so much for any information ladies [/quote]

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

December 31st, 2010, 06:34 PM
nateandjenny's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh my! Triplets! Congrats to your cousin! I can't imagine. I can def see how that would be exciting and scary at the same time.

1. Did you have any complications with your pregnancy?no bad complications. bp issues at the end.
2. At what gestational age did you deliver? 36 weeks
3. When did you go out on bed rest, if you did? I had to quit work at 27/28 weeks. Bed rest at 34 weeks hospital bed rest at 35 weeks.
4. How long were the babies in the nicu, if they were? Abby was for two days for some breathing issues. It was only supposed to be one but they got the orders to bring her back to us too late so we had to wait till the next day
5. What has it been like financially/emotionally once the babies were here?We are stretched pretty thin. We don't have any money left over at the end of the month. Its not too big of a deal. The babies get everything they need. Sometimes it can get a little stressful sometimes but over all we are very happy! I love getting to stay home with the babies! I do wish that I new some more moms tho.

January 1st, 2011, 10:16 AM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I only have twins:
1. Did you have any complications with your pregnancy?
No! I also have PCOS and was convinced I would have gestational diabetes, but didn't.

2. At what gestational age did you deliver?
37 weeks and 5 days

3. When did you go out on bed rest, if you did?
Only in the very beginning, from 12-15 weeks. Then none. Actually, I had to go in at 30 weeks for contractions, but it was fine.

4. How long were the babies in the nicu, if they were? Not in nicu

5. What has it been like financially/emotionally once the babies were here?
Tough. Very tough.

January 3rd, 2011, 09:31 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hey there! I have 18 month old triplets, so I can definitely relate to what she is feeling and thinking. I had 2 embryos put in and both took and 1 split. I have 2 identicals and a fraternal.

1. Did you have any complications with your pregnancy? Not really. I was told early on that I am so small and they would try to get me as far as possible, but didn't know how I would do. I had a cerclage placed at 14 weeks as a precaution and if it's an option for her, I highly recommend it. I fully beleive that is why I got so far.

2. At what gestational age did you deliver? Delivered at 34 weeks, 2 days

3. When did you go out on bed rest, if you did? Never was put on strict bedrest, but left work at the office to work from my couch at around 18 weeks due to lots of contractions. Apparantly sitting up all day puts pressure on your uterus and it gets extra "irritated" with 3 babies in there. I worked from home til around 30 weeks and then at 32 weeks checked into the hospital in labor and they stopped labor and I stayed there until I delivered. But, I was able to walk around the hospital or have my hubby push me around outside in a wheelchair at the hospital.

4. How long were the babies in the nicu, if they were? Boys were in around 2 weeks. They were born at 4 lbs 8, 4 lbs 9 and 4 lbs 10.

5. What has it been like financially/emotionally once the babies were here? It's been wonderfull, exhausting, crazy, fun and a blessing all in one. I did get a bit emotional after they were born when they came home from the hospital. I was alone with them after DH went back to work and it was so draining taking care of 3 little ones while healing from my c section. It gets better as they get a bit more independant and can walk and play together.

A few things that helped me:
Since I was on the small side and had horrible morning sickness my whole pregnancy, I couldn't keep lots of food down for the first 18 weeks or so. I had to keep a small fridge by my bed so at night I could wake up and roll over and eat. I actually ate everytime I got up to go pee in the night :-)

I had the cerclage placed - better safe than sorry was my motto. Not all doctors will do a precautionary one.

I had a high risk MFM. Basically a high risk OBGYN. Regular OB docs are not usually experienced in High Order Mulitples.

I ate LOTS of protein. My MFM told me that if I tried to eat healthy, that wasn't necessarily enough calories. He said to eat burgers and shakes and stuff full of calories, fat and protein. This is the best chance she will have of making those little babies plump up.

Take it super easy. I didn't work out, didn't ever have sex, didn't do lots of walking around, etc, etc.

I got a pregnancy pillow, which helped me sleep.

Register early for stuff and have your showers early, b/c she'll want to actually enjoy them and not be bedridden or in the hospital when they happen.

I celebrated each milestone! Each week was a victory. Getting to 24 weeks, viability, was the huge one and then getting further each week was such a celebration! Good luck to her and feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.

Thank you to *Kiliki* for creating the perfect siggy!

"Victory is sweetest when you have known defeat" ~Malcolm Forbes

IUI #1 - Nov 07 = BFN, IUI #2 - Dec 07 = BFN
IVF #1 - Apr 08 = BFN
IVF #2 - Nov 18
Dec 2 - Beta 1: 198!! Dec 4 - Beta 2: 660!!
Dec 15 - 1st U/S - We're having twins!!!
Dec 23 - 2nd U/S - Surprise it's triplets!!!
January 3rd, 2011, 09:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
i was hoping you would chime in, shannon. good advice!

~~terre~~
January 3rd, 2011, 10:45 AM
1+twins's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had twins but I can give you info on my girlfriend who had triplets that turned one on the 1st of Jan. Congrats to your cousin.

1. Did you have any complications with your pregnancy? She was put in the hospital two days before Thanksgiving, but other than that and Gest. Diabetes she did great
2. At what gestational age did you deliver?32 weeks
3. When did you go out on bed rest, if you did? I think she went around 20 weeks or so on partial but on full around 24-26
4. How long were the babies in the nicu, if they were?5 weeks
5. What has it been like financially/emotionally once the babies were hereemotionally she really struggled until about 7 months. She said then things got better. She also really struggles with her body image now (as do I) because she has diastasis recti now. She is VERY tiny so it is VERY noticable and she still looks pregnant. Financially they are surviving but mostly because her husband is a major in the Army so he makes a good penny.

Good luck to her and keep us posted.

January 3rd, 2011, 08:45 PM
glad you guys could give her some triplet information! I don't know anyone with triplets.

January 8th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks so much for the info ladies

Unfortunately, Amy lost one of the babies She went in for a 13 week u/s and baby A stopped developing around 10 weeks. Unfortunately, we are not altogether surprised, as this was the embryo that was the smallest from the get-go, and always lagged behind the other two. Just praying that she can carry the other two to full-term.

I'm still trying to convince her to come onto this board!
Alexandra Eva is here! Born 1/17/10 at 5:55pm. Weighing in at 6lbs, 8oz and 20 Inches Long!
Secondary Infertility Blog*~*http://onemunchkin.blogspot.com/ *~*

January 8th, 2011, 07:53 PM
awww... hope they are doing ok and the other two continue to do well!

January 9th, 2011, 05:18 AM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm so sorry for her loss. I know it has to be hard for her right now.

Continue to encourage her to join us, or another multiples board. The information she can find will be very useful.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

January 9th, 2011, 08:50 AM
CrystalAnne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I haven't chimed in as I haven't actually had the girls yet but I just wanted to say HI! lol (always nice to see a familiar face on other boards) and sorry to hear of your sister's loss. I'll keep her in my T&P's for a happy and healthy 9 mos and that the other two beans continue to develop well

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search