New here !!!

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 6th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Well yesterday I found out that we are expecting faternal twins, To be honest I was going in thinking the worst, I had spotted three times last week. She showed me where the bleeding was coming from and also showed me where I released two eggs, baby a was 7 weeks and 4 days and baby b was 7 weeks and 3 days, and A- hb was 150 and b was 153, We are both in total shock right now. First off we were not trying for another baby but preventing ,but slowing getting used to the idea

Iam clueless how pregnancy with twins , How much to eat when to start buying ?????
Alittle info on us , My name is Mary and dh is Dave , I have two children from a previous marriage ashley 14 and Landon 10 we also have Conner and Kaetlin, So this will make 6 kids ... Holy crap is all I could say !!!! I have also had 4 miscarriages 3 before 12 weeks and one at 22 weeks. So I am taking things slowly !!

January 6th, 2011, 02:52 PM
CrystalAnne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The shock DOES eventually wear off. . .a little lol. We found our "extra baby" at our 22 week u/s. It was crazy. Congrats on your babies, tons of sticky dust to you!
January 6th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
congrats Mary!!!
January 6th, 2011, 03:08 PM
nateandjenny's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
congrats! eat when your hungry and drink about a swimming pool a day lol thats what it felt like.

January 6th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Is there anywhere with info for new expecting parents on here ????? I have tons of questions

When did you guys start buying for the baby??

I will be having a c-section as I do with all my births , my question is do you stay in the hospital longer with multi births ??

How it took them that long to find that you were having two babies ????? Or was this your first ultrasound ?

Question ?? How much weight are you supposed to gain and about how many calories are you supposed to take in ?
January 6th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Veteran
Welcome and congrats!! I am pregnant with identical girls due May 22. I can't give you much advice since I am right in the thick of it, but from my experience so far...eat when you can...I had a rough 4 months at the beginning, but then all of a sudden I was hungry again and could eat!! I have gained about 10-15 lbs so far and all of that has come in the last month to month and a half. So if you are sick in the beginning just try to tough it out...it will get better and you will eventually gain weight! Good luck!

January 6th, 2011, 03:40 PM
tundrababy's Avatar Mega Super Twin Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary30 View Post
Is there anywhere with info for new expecting parents on here ????? I have tons of questions

When did you guys start buying for the baby??

I will be having a c-section as I do with all my births , my question is do you stay in the hospital longer with multi births ??

How it took them that long to find that you were having two babies ????? Or was this your first ultrasound ?

Question ?? How much weight are you supposed to gain and about how many calories are you supposed to take in ?

Congrats and Welcome! My name is Jen and I have almost 2yr old frat twin boys Owen and Rhys...the shock never totally wears off, somedays I still can't believe I have twins!

As for your questions..

I didn't start until we knew the sexes, (around 18wks) we already had girl stuff from my DD and I was really hoping for at least one other girl.

For the birth we stayed for 3 days but had option to stay 4. It was all the other stays I wasn't prepared for!

I found out at my first appt at 8wks, have a good JM friend IRL who didn't find out until 20wks - big shock!

My OB recommended 20lbs by 20wks and then a lb/wk after that. I lost 15lbs my first tri but more than made up for it later on . Dr Luke has a good book can 'When you are expecting twins, trips, and quads' But I would definitely have it on your list of ?? for your doc.

January 6th, 2011, 06:41 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi, I'm Valerie. I have 16m old ID girls.

We started buying stuff pretty early on. We wanted to spread the cost of things out over the pregnancy and I didn't want super girly or super boy type stuff. I wanted gender neutral for things like car seats, PNP, high chairs etc.

I stayed as many days as my insurance let me. It wasn't any more for multiples than it was for a single baby.

My first u/s showed one baby and a few weeks later we saw two. I was still pretty early on.

My OB didnt' give me a specific amount of weight to gain. I lost weight in the beginning and definitely did not make the 20 lbs by 20 weeks. I gained 35lbs total and both of my girls were not much smaller than I was when I was born. Make sure you're drinking plenty of water and eating healthy, including lots of protein. The amount you gain isn't as important as what you're putting into your body.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

January 6th, 2011, 07:14 PM
nat1970's Avatar Nicole - Mom2Leah,Ty,TJ
Congrats. I know it is quite a shock at first, but it does help that you have other kids and know what to do.

I wouldn't necessarily rule out your twins being id until you find out the sex. You can still have id twins with 2 placentas and sacs. It all depends on when the egg splits you can end up with id's with 2 placentas and sacs. I do think that is the case with my twins, but I won't know for sure until I do zygosity testing next month.

I was in the hospital 4 nights. I was allowed 4 although only needed 3, but my OB let me stay an extra day because Ty was in NICU.

I found out I was having twins at my 6w1d appt and I was completely shocked especially after conceiving DD with IUI and then being told by my RE that I couldn't get pg on my own. Guess I told him.

Join a local multiples group and look into their buy and sells. You can pick up alot of items through those, but you may not want to shop until you know their sexes.

GL to you.

January 7th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Rae-of-Sunshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi ... and welcome I also can't help much, because I am not that far ahead of you (almost 18 weeks). I can tell you that we found out it was twins at our first u/s @ 8 weeks. We were in shock for a while also. We just kept looking at each other for weeks and saying "Twins." It is exciting though!

As for the weight gain, I talked to my Dr. and he basically said every woman and every pregnancy is different. He is more concerned with the babies and their growth/development. I asked because I was concerned that I wasn't gaining anything. I am still down a few pounds from my pre-pregnancy weight. Then again, I still have m/s and I am also quite "fluffy" (as one of the ladies in my DDC put it), so I have plenty of extra fat for me and the babies to live on for a while I do expect I will start putting on weight soon though.

Good Luck with everything

Psalm 139:9-10
]
January 8th, 2011, 07:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
First off congrats on your pregnancy! Being pregnant with twins was definitely a different experience than my singleton. I have a daughter who just turned 3 and identical twin girls that are almost 6 weeks old.

When did you guys start buying for the baby?? We really didn't start buying things until our 20 week ultrasound and we didn't buy much. Thankfully we found out we were having two girls so we are able to re-use all of our oldest daughter's clothes.

I will be having a c-section as I do with all my births , my question is do you stay in the hospital longer with multi births ?? I stayed in the hospital for 4 days. That is about how long I would have if I had one baby. However the girls had to stay in the Level II nursery (step above NICU) for 13 days because they had feeding issues and their suck reflex wasn't very good even for 37 weekers. They also had minor breathing issues in the beginning. That was a shock to us because I did carry them "full term" so we thought we were in the clear as far as bringing them home right away.

How it took them that long to find that you were having two babies ????? Or was this your first ultrasound ? We found out at our 7 week ultrasound to determine my due date. It was a HUGE shock, but thankfully we found out early enough for things to sink in.

Question ?? How much weight are you supposed to gain and about how many calories are you supposed to take in ? It depends. My OB told me I should gain as much as I can in the beginning because the farther along you are in your pregnancy, the harder it is to eat a full meal. I gained 32 lbs and Madelyn was 5 lbs 9 oz when she was born and Malia was 5 lbs 13 oz. They also shared a placenta so I don't know if that has anything to do with how little they were. ALSO make sure you drink as much water as you can! I was guzzling 90-100 oz of water a day and noticed a HUGE difference in how I was feeling if I didn't drink enough. Water is very important, especially toward the end because you can have contractions if you are dehydrated.
January 8th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks everyone, Another question for you all, You all might think I am crazy ,but after being pregnant 9 times( 4 losses) I am pretty sure I know what I am feeling ! With Kaetlin and Conner I felt movement around 10 weeks, I have already starting feeling flutters , How soon was it when you started feeling flutters

Also I forgot to ask my Ob but am I still only to take 1 pretnatal vitiamin ?

My biggest fear , Is that I will go early and not everything bought , My dh is not good and picking things out on his own This is why I was wondering when people started buying, I am probably going to start buying diapers and wipes at my next appoinment . By then I will be 11 weeks 3 days, Then the next month I will do another ultrasound an find out the gender, That is when I will start buying clothes !!!!!!

By the way Angeleyes I love your twin girls names , To be hones they are on my list !!!!!!
January 8th, 2011, 07:59 PM
nateandjenny's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When did you guys start buying for the baby?? after we found out what we were having at about 15 1/2 weeks

I will be having a c-section as I do with all my births , my question is do you stay in the hospital longer with multi births ?? after the birth we went home on the 5th day because Lilly became jaundice. They only required 72 hours.

How it took them that long to find that you were having two babies ????? Or was this your first ultrasound ? we found out at our first u/s at 9 weeks.

Question ?? How much weight are you supposed to gain and about how many caloriese you supposed to take in ? My ob said to eat when I was hungry. Didn't gain a single pound till 23 weeks. When I delivered I think I gained about 40lbs. I was told to expect to gain between 35-45 pounds. I delivered at 36 weeks (bp problems) and the girls were 5lbs 1oz and 5lbs 6oz

January 9th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hey there!! Good to see you here. Very excited for you!

Thank you to *Kiliki* for creating the perfect siggy!

"Victory is sweetest when you have known defeat" ~Malcolm Forbes

IUI #1 - Nov 07 = BFN, IUI #2 - Dec 07 = BFN
IVF #1 - Apr 08 = BFN
IVF #2 - Nov 18
Dec 2 - Beta 1: 198!! Dec 4 - Beta 2: 660!!
Dec 15 - 1st U/S - We're having twins!!!
Dec 23 - 2nd U/S - Surprise it's triplets!!!
January 9th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Rae-of-Sunshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary30 View Post
Also I forgot to ask my Ob but am I still only to take 1 pretnatal vitiamin ?
You should only need the one prenatal vitamin, but definitely talk to your OB about what he wants you taking. Mine put me on iron supplements as soon as he found out it was twins (he said he does that standard for any multiples). I am sure every OB has a different philsophy. That is the one thing I am learning about pregnancy .. everyone has their own opinions

Psalm 139:9-10
]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search