What size did your babies wear at birth?

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 17th, 2011, 07:30 PM
BrittM's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm trying to figure out what size clothes to bring with me to the hospital. Did your babies fit in regular newborn clothes? Or did they wear preemie sizes? I've been doing some shopping and wondering if I should buy a few things in preemie size? My son was born at 40 weeks and was 6lbs 13oz. Newborn clothes were too big for him so I'm assuming the same will be true for the girls. What size did you bring when you had your babies? If your expecitng, what are you planning on bringing?

January 17th, 2011, 09:22 PM
nateandjenny's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
THe girls were born at 36 weeks were 5lbs 6oz and 5lbs 1oz and wore preemie clothes.

ETA: They were in preemie clothes for about a month.

Last edited by nateandjenny; January 18th, 2011 at 10:09 AM.
January 17th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
our twins were born at 28 weeks, came home at 42weeks and over 8lbs, so nb clothes.
DS1 born on edd weighed 8lb4 and in nb clothes

You know you'll need nb clothes anyhow, and if you do need preemie clothes, they won't be in them too long usually, and you can buy them fairly quick

Lucky mother to five!

January 18th, 2011, 04:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Our girls were born at 37 weeks and were 5 lbs 8 oz and 5 lbs 13 oz. They were in the hospital until 39 weeks but were in newborn clothes after that. They are just now growing out of them. I would buy some newborn clothes (mostly onsies, jammies, etc.) and then wait until you have them to buy preemies. Our girls could have worn preemie outfits but we didn't bother buying any since they grow out of them so fast.
January 18th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I recommend not buying lots of preemie clothes. When they are in the NICU, they like to dress them in the white snap front onesies b/c it is easier. My boys were born at 4.8, 4.9 and 4.10 and were in the NICU for 2 weeks. While there, they wore the hospitals onesies and wore preemie for a few weeks once home. They quickly moved into NB size.

Thank you to *Kiliki* for creating the perfect siggy!

"Victory is sweetest when you have known defeat" ~Malcolm Forbes

IUI #1 - Nov 07 = BFN, IUI #2 - Dec 07 = BFN
IVF #1 - Apr 08 = BFN
IVF #2 - Nov 18
Dec 2 - Beta 1: 198!! Dec 4 - Beta 2: 660!!
Dec 15 - 1st U/S - We're having twins!!!
Dec 23 - 2nd U/S - Surprise it's triplets!!!
January 18th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My twins were 6lbs12oz and 6lbs3oz and they both wore preemie clothes for about 2 weeks.

January 18th, 2011, 11:41 AM
1+twins's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it more depends on their lengths. Jason and Brooklynn came home in Preemie stuff but Jason was longer and could have worn a newborn outfit. I might bring both but don't invest too much in preemie stuff.

January 18th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My twins were 5 lbs 5oz and 5lbs 12oz. They would have fit preemie clothes, but newborn fit well enough. I'm glad we didn't invest in any preemie clothes. They were in newborn for about 2 to 2.5 months.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

January 18th, 2011, 03:03 PM
tundrababy's Avatar Mega Super Twin Mommy
My boys were 5lbs 5oz and 5lbs 13oz,they wore preemie clothes for about 2wks. I wouldn't spend a lot on preemie clothes but I found it nice to have them. We borrowed a some from our local Multiples club and then I bought some from a resale shop (basically brand-new) and we got a couple of outfits from family.

January 18th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
lissy's boys were born at 32 weeks and spent about a month in the NICU, give or take. they started out at 4 pounds and 4 pounds 12 ounces. they stayed in preemie for a short bit. i found that wal-mart carries an inexpensive selection of preemie sleepers, onesies and stretchy pants for over the onesies.

~~terre~~
January 20th, 2011, 12:51 PM
nat1970's Avatar Nicole - Mom2Leah,Ty,TJ
They were in preemie stuff for such a short time even though they were born at 6lbs and 6lbs 4ozs. They were a little too long for their preemie onesies. I would just get a few outfits.

January 20th, 2011, 03:39 PM
BrittM's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies! I've got about 4 outfits each in preemie size. I don't think I'll buy anymore. I'm pretty sure the preemie will fit them when we bring them home from the hospital. Once we're home I don't mind if they're sleepers are a bit baggy.

January 21st, 2011, 01:17 PM
babybatax2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Mine were born @ 31w and wore preemie clothes for 2 months, then newborn clothes for about 4 months

07/2007 03/2011 01/2012
January 21st, 2011, 02:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My girls were born at 28 weeks. We had no preemie clothes when they were born. My family bought a ton. The hospital usually dressed them in stuff with snaps, or velcro that people made. Kenzie wore the preemie stuff for 2 months since she came home at 4 1/2 pounds. Madison wore the preemie stuff all through her hospital stay until we lost her at 5 months old due to her prematurity and CDH.
January 24th, 2011, 07:16 AM
mommabirdof4
My plan is to buy just 3 or 4 premmie sleepers for each kiddo to have on hand. Everything else will be newborn. My singletons were 39 weekers and only weighed 6lbs 8oz at brith and dropped to around 6 pounds before starting to gain. So I am expecting small twins. I am going to bring a premmie outfit and a newborn outfit for each kiddo to wear home..and just see what fits.
February 7th, 2011, 10:54 AM
cachex10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celry View Post
My twins were 5 lbs 5oz and 5lbs 12oz. They would have fit preemie clothes, but newborn fit well enough. I'm glad we didn't invest in any preemie clothes. They were in newborn for about 2 to 2.5 months.
My girls were very much the same and were born close to these sizes. We really didn't have anything in the way of preemie clothing, just a couple of outfits. I think they did come home in preemie clothing, but they were outfits the girls outgrew quickly. They stayed in newborn clothing for quite a while.

I'm still in so much of a freaking blur. I'd have to go back and look at pictures in order to remember what they were wearing when, lol.

February 9th, 2011, 07:10 AM
tgc219's Avatar Super Mommy
Mine were 6lbs 19.5" and 5lbs 14oz 20" born at 38 weeks. They were swimming in the NB stuff, so we bought some preemie onesies. Once we brought the onesies home, we realized that the babies were too long for them so we returned them and just let them grow into the NB stuff. I'd get the preemie stuff to have it just in case, but wait til the babies are born until you decide to wash and keep them. You might end up not needing them at all.

Thank you .h00dihoo.this. for my awesome siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search