Pumping ?

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 18th, 2011, 06:26 AM
tgc219's Avatar Super Mommy
I have 8 week old boy/girl twins and I was wondering how you ladies keep up with pumping for two??? I can't seem to keep up with these little ones! I know that it's due to me not being able to pump/nurse as often as I wanted to early on and now I'm trying to work my supply back up if thats possible. I started taking Fenugreek a couple of weeks ago and it seems to be helping a little. Now that I'm back to work, I'd like to be able to leave enough pumped milk at home with them so they can have that during the day (we do formula at night). I'm get anywhere from 2-6 oz per pumping session. My max used to be 12oz! The babies eat 4-6oz each feeding so it's like as soon as I pump, it's pretty much all gone and I have to start over again. I pump in the morning before work, at lunch, and once at night. It's just hard when I'm home because if I'm not taking care of one baby, I'm taking care of the other. Even when my husband is helping, I still feel like I don't have the time to pump. Advice/suggestions please???

Thank you .h00dihoo.this. for my awesome siggy!

January 18th, 2011, 07:15 AM
BrittM's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Are you breastfeeding the babies as well? In order to exclusively pump you need to pump about 12 times a day. 2 of those sessions should be in the middle of the night (unless your breastfeeding in the night). Night time feeding/pumping is the best for upping your supply. Also, drink tons of water and eat lot's of oatmeal. HTH!

January 18th, 2011, 08:10 AM
I'm not breastfeeding a whole lot since I've gone back to work. Usually I'll only bf 2x a day on the weekends which I know is pretty pathetic! I just prefer feeding them from the bottle because then I know how much they're getting. When they bf, they'll fall asleep so I think they've had enough. Then they wake up starving 10-20 minutes later!

I haven't been pumping in the middle of the night, but I'll definitely start trying! I'm just so tired! I do notice that I get more when I pump in the evenings. Trying to drink as much as possible, but never heard of the otameal thing. I'll start doing that as well. Thanks for the suggestions!

January 18th, 2011, 09:08 AM
nateandjenny's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow! Sound like you are doing a great job! Good luck! Have no advice I had to quit at 10 weeks when I dried up.

January 18th, 2011, 10:39 AM
1+twins's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sounds like you are doing awesome. I am not discouraging but I never could get enough. No matter what I did, there was NEVER ENOUGH! So we had to go to BF one and then the other would get a bottle and then the next time they switched. I would have enough for one to eat though. Finally went to both getting night time bottles too. GL to you and I hope you figure it out.

January 18th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm on the other extreme. I could pump and the milk would just keep coming. I could get multiple let downs in each session as long as I kept the pump on a low enough setting. I pumped a lot during the middle of the night. If you want to up your supply, power pumping is a great thing that works for a lot of women. You need to do it for an hour a day though. You pump 10 minutes then stop for ten, pump ten, stop ten etc. This usually helps people up their supply.

Oatmeal works, but the closer to the natural source the better. You'll see more of a difference eating steel cut oatmeal than you would if you ate instant oats.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

January 18th, 2011, 01:55 PM
tundrababy's Avatar Mega Super Twin Mommy
Ditto to up'ing your pumping sessions. A big help for me was being relaxed while pumping, I got a handsfree bra and would spend my time on JM. I also took domperidone which dramatically increased my supply, at that time I could get 16-20oz a pump (which is why my boobs now look like deflated balloons )

This was a tasty recipe for oatmeal lactation cookies

January 19th, 2011, 05:50 AM
Thank you for all of the suggestions and tips! I tried pumping in the middle of the night last night, but I was so exhausted and couldn't relax! All I could do was look at the clock and think "when can I go back to bed???" I'll try the power pumping and see if that helps. I'll also try pumping every 2 hours when I'm home over the weekend and then maybe I'll be able to do that at work next week. I really want to be able to supply enough milk for my babies so hopefully I didn't screw this up and am already too late to fix it!

January 20th, 2011, 02:46 PM
BrittM's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If your really having issues getting your supply up I would talk to your dr about domperidone. It works really great (as others have mentioned) and might be just what you need. I hope your seeing and increase in your supply soon!

January 21st, 2011, 12:16 PM
babybatax2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Power pumping helps a ton!

07/2007 03/2011 01/2012

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search