NT scan/blood work

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 25th, 2011, 09:27 AM
Hi all. I just had my NT scan/blood work and made an appointment for the 16th week triple/quad blood work/scan. However, the more and more I read about these tests, the less comfortable I feel. I see that there is a high percentage of false positive when its twins/multiple. I am not sure if I am going ahead with the 16th week BW. Any advice?

Some info:

just turned 29, no family history of any genetic abnormalities, I'm almost 14 weeks with fraternal twins.
January 25th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We had a discussion about this a month or two ago. It seems like a lot of doctors don't even do the screeing with a multiple pregnancy because of the rate of false positives. Some labs will take into consideration that there is a multiple pregnancy, but not many, and even the it's not very accurate. I honestly do not remember if I had any of the screening done. I think I did because of my age and a family history of downs syndrome.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

January 25th, 2011, 11:42 AM
mommabirdof4
My OB does not recommend the tests for any multiple pregnancy. It makes sense really since you can't just divide the blood in half and get a reading for each baby. Most labs don't even take into account the number of babies...so the number are high of course because you have more then one baby.

My OB had me do a Level II ultrasound with a MFM Doctor...I just had it last week...total between the tech and dr the scan was close to an hour and a half...they looked at each baby very closely. They looked for all the soft markers for genetic issues but none were found in my case.
January 25th, 2011, 12:09 PM
nateandjenny's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry but what does BW stand for?

we didn't have any of those tests. They weren't even offered.

I also had ultrasounds at the ob's office every time we visited and then I also saw a peri for ultrasounds. I loved it. Meant a lot trips to the dr but I loved getting to the babies.

January 25th, 2011, 06:49 PM
HI - I'm new! I'm mom to identical twin girls who are 2 and half now. My DH and I chose not to do this screen. I know a mom of twins who received a false positive and had a miserable pregnancy (emotionally) because of it. Turns out both babies were perfect when they were born!

Just my 2 cents, but good luck with your decision!
January 25th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Rae-of-Sunshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The only test I had done was the AFP and that was it. The MFM doctor offered me more, though my OB and I had already talked about not doing more. I asked the MFM doctor about the reliability of the for twins and he said that it is definitely less reliable for twins, so I declined with him also. Like others have said, you are going to get LOTS of chances to look at your babies and they do take a lot of time with the anatomy scans. I decided I didn't want to worry over results that might indicate a higher chance of something that wasn't really there. I figured there are enough things to worry about with twins anyway. I would say talk it over with your OB though and discuss your concerns with him.

Oh and my AFP results were fine .. so no worries there.

Psalm 139:9-10
]
January 26th, 2011, 06:09 AM
Veteran
I had the quad screen done and it came back at a higher than normal risk of down's syndrome, 1:143 chance. Our MFM doc had just done an u/s and everything looked perfect so she told us not to worry about it. We could have had an amnio to be sure, but that also comes with risks that we didn't feel were necessary. So far both girls still look good so we are just assuming the test was a false positive.

January 26th, 2011, 02:42 PM
SarieP's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hmmm I'm glad this topic was posted because I didn't know anything about it. I just had an appt yesterday and they said at my next appt they would do the screening if we wanted it. Of course, we didn't know what it was until I came home and saw this! I looked it up online and even with just one baby, it's not reliable. I can't believe that doctors would even have patients do this test if they are not in the "risk" areas?! We are def not having it done and will take our chances.

January 26th, 2011, 10:23 PM
April Flowers's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We did the NT scan and the 2nd trimester screening but did not bother with the first trimester bloodwork. Our lab paperwork had a special section on it to indicate twins and to give the NT scan results, along with a disclaimer to not bother submitting any samples from a multiple pregnancy of triplets or higher. We did not get a number risk, but all we wanted was to hear that everything looked normal, which it did.

Gorgeous siggy courtesy of tasha_mae!
Oct 26, 2010--Thing 1 is a BOY and Thing 2 is a GIRL

January 27th, 2011, 01:45 PM
nat1970's Avatar Nicole - Mom2Leah,Ty,TJ
The NT scan is pretty accurate, but the blood work that is combined with it is not accurate at all with multiples. I would have them do the scan portion, but not the blood work because of the false positives. I opted not to do the NT scan and blood work and did a CVS instead, but this does have to be done by 13 or 14 weeks I believe. We opted to do this test because of my age. I was 39 when I got pregnant and I wanted 100% certainty that there were no chromosonal abnormalities.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search