short cervix and twins

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 29th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hello,

Well I went for my ultrasound for the NT testing yesterday. With DD I had preterm labour, and a shortened cervix. Well, I am 12 weeks today and my cervix is only 2.5cm long (should be 4cm), I assume I just have a short cervix naturally, but it does concern me. With DD I had a very stressful pregnancy, and would only really get contractions after a huge fight with ex bf. I never really took care of myself with hydration and eating due to constant stress.

My cervix never really went below 2cm, except this one time it was 1.8cm, but that was at a different tech place, so I am not sure how accurate it was vs. the hospital's machines that we usually used (Ive been told to go to the same place by a tech because measurements could be off). Despite preterm labour, shortened cervix, and bed rest, I had my DD 2 days shy of her due date.

I am concerned because with my previous pregnancy it was H-E-double toothpicks. I am single and have a 5yr old to take care of this time, so even though I am pretty laid back most of the day, I do have to tend to her needs by bringing her to school, picking her up, and all that stuff when she is home from school. I know bedrest is probably inevitable, and I am starting to plan for it now.

I was wondering if anyone has had the same problem, but still had their twins at term (or closer to). Also, has anyone had a cerclege and what do they do to put it in there?

Here are pics of the twins from my scan yesterday. Baby A was cute and relaxed sucking its thumb, and baby B was being unco-operative, and always turning its back to us.

measured 12w1d
January 30th, 2011, 08:45 AM
TwoPeasinAPod's Avatar Veteran
Hello -
Congrats on getting to the 12 week mark !
I had a cerclage with a singleton last pregnancy as a preventative measure because I had previous preterm deliveries. It is a lifesaver for many women but they do have you sign a consent saying it can give you more contractions & infections too.
In my case it worked against me I started contracting heavily with it and had to get it removed very early at almost 32 weeks.
For the most part if your cervix is weak it will help !
January 30th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
yeah.. I was reading that. It kind of scares me. I know my cervix is short, but it never really did go down much from what it is. I think it is just naturally short lol. I guess we will see how it goes. Thank you!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search