Breastfeeding !

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 4th, 2011, 05:28 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Alright ,I told you guys I had tons of questions !!!

I would love to breastfeed at least as long as possible , How they heck do you do two babies, My problem is that I always have a low sulppy of milk. With conner I had to stop at 6 months and Kaetlin I had to stop at 3 . So I am worried that I Will not be able to breast feed at all
February 4th, 2011, 06:38 AM
nateandjenny's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not much help. I ad to stop at 10 weeks.

February 4th, 2011, 10:50 AM
babybatax2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I exclusively pumped.

But I suggest keep putting them on the breast. Pump in between feeds if you need to. The more stimulation, more milk!

07/2007 03/2011 01/2012
February 4th, 2011, 12:56 PM
nat1970's Avatar Nicole - Mom2Leah,Ty,TJ
I pumped with mine. I was never able to tandem feed. I had to give up because I was getting too depressed pumping while feeding them and then chasing my then 18 month old around. I felt like a moo cow. I was able to freeze alot of milk. I never had supply issues, but I didn't with DD either who I exclusively pumped with for 9-10 months.

Also, if you pump I highly recommend renting the Medela Symphony from your hospital.

February 4th, 2011, 01:23 PM
nateandjenny's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
that is a great pump! originally I was like how different can it be from the one I have home but it is amazing. I used t Ll my lactation appts and I would always get a ton more milk at those appts. We were not able to rent one tho

February 4th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm still BFing at almost 18 months. It's totally possible. Not easy, but possible. Once you're over that first hump, I think it's easier than bottles. You'll need a twin nursing pillow. I loved mine for the first few weeks. I've loaned it to a few twin moms who have all loved it. It's the EZ 2 Nurse pillow. After they had a little more control, I started just using regular pillows. I would put both babies going in the same direction, so one would almost lay on the other. The baby who went across my body was underneth and the baby who went more of a craddle type hold would sit/lay on a pillow. You'll have to figure out what works for you.

Make sure you're eating and drinking enough. That's one of the main issues with supply. I do have to ask how you know you had low supply. My first pedi tried to convince me that I had low supply because of weight gaining issues. I knew I did not have low supply. I just had bad suckers. I did a lot of pumping and bottle feeding in the beginning. I'd let them nurse for awhile and then bottlefeed. They gained really well doing that. I'm not done with my thoughts, but have to run. Hopefully I can add more later.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

February 4th, 2011, 01:48 PM
CrystalAnne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't have any advice because I have the same concerns My biggest concern is that I have humongous boobs and won't be able to feed them both at the same time. I have to use one hand to cradle baby and the other to keep my breast from suffocating the poor li'l bug so. . . any advice on that? lol
February 4th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm back. Pumping is a great way to up your supply. I pumped more than I would have liked in the beginning, but know that my supply would have been lower if I hadn't. If you want, you can get a hands free pumping bra, or just make one by cutting holes in a bra.

Remember that you can always BF some and bottle feed with either pumped milk or formula. Any BM your babies get is great for them. It doesn't have to be all BM or all formula. BFing can be extremely time consuming, especially with two and having older kids you still have to care for. You can always start BFing and adjust how you do it depending on how things are going.

No advice on the big boob thing. Sorry. I'm barely a C cup when I'm completely engorged. We're down to 1 BFing session a day and I'm assuming my boobs will quickly deflate bakc to nothing.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

February 5th, 2011, 02:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalAnne View Post
I don't have any advice because I have the same concerns My biggest concern is that I have humongous boobs and won't be able to feed them both at the same time. I have to use one hand to cradle baby and the other to keep my breast from suffocating the poor li'l bug so. . . any advice on that? lol
I have a friend who breastfed her twins for 16 months and she has huge boobs. lol. She mostly tandem fed and her babies didn't suffocate.

As for me, I tried breastfeeding both and it didn't work so well. Both babies were in the Level II NICU for 2 weeks and they got so used to the bottles they gave there that they would get FURIOUS whenever I put them to breast. So I exclusively pump. Thankfully as of right now I make enough milk, but I have to pump at least 8-10 times a day. If I knew back then what I do now, I would have asked them to strictly do tube feeds when I was away from the hospital and then try breastfeeding them right away when I was there. But oh well.

I agree with Celry that breastfeeding multiples would be extremely time consuming. Especially with other kids in the mix. So don't beat yourself up too much if something happens and you aren't able to exclusively put them to breast. Things happen that are beyond your control and it may not go the way you planned. So when you do start breastfeeding, take things one day at a time. On that note, my friend with the gigantic boobs strictly breastfed her twins AND she has 4 other kids... so it is possible. I just could never do it.
February 5th, 2011, 04:34 AM
mommabirdof4
I plan on exclusively BFing my twins and I will have a 3 year old and a 2 year old also. For me I have BF one kid exclusively(she never had one bottle) and bottlefeed one baby and for me it was always quicker and easier to pull the boob out then wash bottles and pump parts plus feeding the baby.

I was pretty stuborn with my DD even though we had a ton of issues with BFing I didn't give up so I don't think I will be any different with the twins...lol...plus I have so many people to prove wrong...all of DH's family says it is inpossiable to BF twins...they said the same thing with my DD...that a baby can not live on Breastmilk alone and I proved them wrong...she didn't have anything but Breastmilk till she was 9 months old.

One thing I would suggest is to tour the NICU that your babies will go to...and see what their policy is about BFing. I did a tour there last week and I was really inpressed with them and their policy...if you chose they will do no bottles and no pacifiers(unless needed). Now I pray and hope that my babies don't need NICU time but I wanted to be prepared.
February 5th, 2011, 05:38 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Our insurance covers breast pumps , So I am going to buy one from the hospital,I am probably going pump and bottle feed since I have a then 2 year old at home along with my two other kids that I have to get off to school !!!!
February 5th, 2011, 08:11 AM
tundrababy's Avatar Mega Super Twin Mommy
My best advice is to get to know a lactation consultant before your twins are born, especially one who has experience with multiples. There are several ways of doing this, you can hire someone to come into your home and hospital, which some insurances will cover. Or you can go to a Le Leche meeting or try your local MoMs club, ours in Portland has several moms who exclusively bf who will come and help.
A good pump (used a medela PIS and a handsfree bra) helps but having lots of support was much more productive for me. I ended up bf'ing one boy and giving the other EBM in a bottle, around 6mos we started supplementing with formula so I could have some me time.
I was a E cup when nursing the boys and at first I thought I was going to suffocate them but having bigger boobs definitely is an advantage they babies get bigger. The EZ2Nurse pillow was a must for us, we also had several boppies and pillows. Again LC can help with positioning and such

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search