Infant carseats vs convertible.

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 11th, 2011, 09:05 PM
CrystalAnne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What did you use? What do you recommend? I have a boy that will be about 14 months old when the girls are born, and he will ride in a double stroller with one of the girls, and I will wear the other baby in a wrap/carrier. Should I still use the infant carseats? Would convertibles make more sense? Impart upon me your wisdom ladies, I need help!
February 12th, 2011, 04:59 AM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How small can an infant be to go in a convertable seat comfortably and safely? I know there is an upper limit, but is there a lower? My kids were so small, I can't imagine putting them in the convertible one right away. The convertible straps should be below their shoulders and loop up around them when rear facing and above their shoulders and come down on them when forward facing. I don't think my convertible seats lowest shoulder setting would have allowed us to have the straps correct for A&E when they came home. If your kiddos are small, you'll need to pack them in place with rolled towels. I think that's easier to do in the house, but it doesn't take long, so doing it in the car should be okay if you use convertible seats.

Convertible seats work for lots of people. I ditched our infant seats well before my kids outgrew them. I think they were 9 months old and sometimes I wish I'd done it earlier. They got too heavy to carry both at once in the seats. I liked carrying them to the car in the convertible seats much better. Plus, I liked that they got used to being moved in and out of the car and would stay asleep if I didn't try to wake them.

I think you have to make the decision. If you can find convertible carseats that work well for small babies, then it might be a good idea for you, especially since you'll be wearing one baby.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

February 12th, 2011, 05:58 AM
mommabirdof4
We are skipping the infant seats completely this time around. We are going to go with two Graco myride 65s. They work very well for newborns...and I really like the infant insert that comes with the seat...very cushy and offers lots of support. DD started using hers at 1 month. You have to be carefull with what kind of convertiable that you buy...some do NOT work for newborns. Go to the carseat board here on JM and they have a list...plus you can ask the ladies which ones other then the myrides will work. Also Carseat.org is a great site for information and reviews of carseats.

We just never liked using the infant carrier with either kiddo...I would much rather wear the babies or hold them.

Oh and one thing that I get told all the time is that it sucks waking kids up once they are sleeping so that is why most people use the infant carriers...both of my kids got so used to it that now at 1 and 2 years old I can pick them up sleeping from their carseats and put them in bed without waking them. Kids get used to what every you do. PLus my babies always loves sleeping on momma!!!!!!
February 12th, 2011, 07:15 AM
CrystalAnne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The Graco one you're talking about is the one I was looking at. It says it goes down to 5lbs and has the really cushy nice looking infant insert. Jacob outgrew his infant seat by about 6 months old (he exceeded the weight), I'm not sure what to expect with the girls.

Thanks for your input Travelling alone with the kids is going to be sticky no matter which way I decide to do it lol. My husband and I work opposite schedules so "just wait til he can watch 2 of the kids" isn't an option for me.

So far we're going with the contours stroller and MAYBE the convertible carseats, havne't decided on a diaper bag, and going to have them in our room both in one crib. . .yeah. . . .I only have 10 and a half weeks left I suppose we should get on it, I'm just so nervous and sure we're going to end up making all the wrong choices. . . .and I have two kids already! lol, ack!!! I shouldn't feel so clueless
February 12th, 2011, 07:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The girls had very good points for both options. We bought infant seats for the girls and I'm glad we did because there were so tiny that I couldn't imagine them being in a convertible. We bought Chicco Keyfit 30s and their weight limit starts at 4 lbs. I'm glad I did because both babies were in the NICU and the hospital wasn't going to let us go home with a car seat that didn't fit their weight requirement (they were barely 5 lbs a piece when we brought them home). We used the infant seat for DD#1 for 5 months, but she was such a chunk that I couldn't carry her in the infant seat anymore. I'm thinking we'll use the infant seats longer this time around because the twins are still pretty little. I like snapping both car seats in the double stroller, or I wear one baby so DD#1 can sit in the stroller.

It is all up to you. I agree with you about making the wrong decisions this time around. I felt (and still feel) the same way.
February 12th, 2011, 08:43 AM
tundrababy's Avatar Mega Super Twin Mommy
I am a BIG fan of infant carseats, especially for twins. When they are little and so wobbly its hard to carry both of them at a time. I am all for baby wearing but it doesn't make sense to put a wrap on, put both babies in it then take them out to the car then put them into car seats. It also was a safe place to set them down and let them sleep when visiting people as I never figured out after 4mos how to have them both in a wrap sleeping. And since my boys were born in the winter and coats are not recommended in car seats, we could use cozies to cover them.
My DD was in pre-K requiring a parent to sign her in each day, meaning everyone out of car, walk into building and back in car. It was much easier to carry both seats with Danika holding on or use a double snap'n'go.
We used our seats until 12mos, around 10mos or so we left the seats in the car, when it was much easier to carry them both.
We got one as a shower gift and had Danika's seat so our cost was nil, and we ended up selling them another MoM in our multiples group. And honestly I have never seen another MoM not use an infant seat at some point during the first year.
I, too, would wear one twin, have one in our single snap'n'go or have the double so Danika could ride. But really for us the infant seats were just so much easier, especially for DH who wasn't a fan of baby wearing unless made too There are days I miss the infant seats, it kept the boys contained while loading everyone into the car.

ETA: don't worry about making the wrong choices, having twins is totally about making it up as you go along and finding out what works best for you and them. I never planned to bf one baby and pump for the other but 2yrs later you would never know which one got pumped milk or who got the boob.

Last edited by tundrababy; February 12th, 2011 at 08:51 AM.
February 12th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundrababy View Post
ETA: don't worry about making the wrong choices, having twins is totally about making it up as you go along and finding out what works best for you and them. I never planned to bf one baby and pump for the other but 2yrs later you would never know which one got pumped milk or who got the boob.
Totally true!

Some of the infant inserts are not recommended. My pedi and multiple nurses at the hospital wanted us to use rolled receiving blankets instead of the insert that came with the carseats. We had more control over the girls' stability if we packed them with the receiving blankets.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

February 12th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I used infant seats for the twins, I loved it since I could put them down on the ground safely, and could carry one on each arm, until they got too heavy--by then they were ready to sit up in the cart

Lucky mother to five!

February 12th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celry View Post
Totally true!

Some of the infant inserts are not recommended. My pedi and multiple nurses at the hospital wanted us to use rolled receiving blankets instead of the insert that came with the carseats. We had more control over the girls' stability if we packed them with the receiving blankets.
Our hospital actually cut the infant inserts out of our car seats. I was a little upset that they slaughtered our car seats, but figured they wouldn't technically need them in the long run. It was either that or we would have had to buy a new seat. We also had to use receiving blankets.
February 13th, 2011, 06:15 AM
mommabirdof4
Yes receiving blankets are the way to go!!!! With all newborns....all aftermarket inserts are not recommended. The good thing about the infant inseart in the myrides is that they come out easily.

For me carring both carriers on my arms would do me no good...I have two other small children that need my hands...also a stroller that both carseats can snap into would also do me no good...I have two other kids that need to go somewhere.

I think it would be different if I was always with DH...but during the week it is all me. so I will have all 4 kids for drs appointments,playdates and things all by myself. 4 kids 3 years and younger...it isn't like one will be relyable enough to just walk beside me nicely...lol

Oh and I won't be wrapping them to get them into the car...just doing what I do now...bring one child out at a time...it is the only thing that works with mulitple little ones for me since people are idiots on my street.
February 15th, 2011, 10:29 AM
babybatax2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We used infant seats for the first year. It was so much easier to carry both of them and all their bags and gear. And I just threw them in the stroller with the carseats.

I tried Dakota in a convertable that was 5lbs on up. She was about 10lbs and couldn't fit in it comfortably. She was all over the place.

07/2007 03/2011 01/2012
February 15th, 2011, 03:57 PM
nateandjenny's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love having two infant seats and will use them as long as I can. It makes it so easy to take them to the car or into the drs office or where ever.

Love the names by the way! Not sure if already knew that or not but super cute!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search