My Milkaholics

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 22nd, 2011, 06:26 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
:wuv:
We're still BFing at 18 months They're down to once per day, but would happily nurse more often than that. Every time I sit on the couch they think it's happy hour

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

February 22nd, 2011, 07:26 PM
nateandjenny's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
awwww... one happy family! cute pic!

February 22nd, 2011, 08:47 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
awww, great job mama!

Marie's five kids are now 7,5,4,4 &2!
February 23rd, 2011, 06:12 AM
mommabirdof4
That is wonderful!!!! It give me so much hope that I will be successful BFing the twins when they get here.
February 23rd, 2011, 06:30 AM
Jara's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
GOOD JOB!!! That's AWESOME that you have been able to BF this long.. let along BF TWINS!

Wyatt(5) Lydia(2) Emerson(5) Kaeden(7)
February 23rd, 2011, 07:10 AM
Veteran
wow great pic! i have come to hate nursing the babies at the same time... that position never works for me. i usually have them in like a modified football with them going straight out on either side. i feel like im just not wide enough to do it as they get bigger but i see u can do it with ur big girls!
have u always fed them together and in this position? i did only tandem when they were tiny but once they got too big for the nursing pillow and ate a little quicker ive been trying to do them one at a time.
February 23rd, 2011, 07:59 AM
Platinum Supermommy
You go girl! It's inspiring to hear you've breastfed this long.

Thank you to *Kiliki* for creating the perfect siggy!

"Victory is sweetest when you have known defeat" ~Malcolm Forbes

IUI #1 - Nov 07 = BFN, IUI #2 - Dec 07 = BFN
IVF #1 - Apr 08 = BFN
IVF #2 - Nov 18
Dec 2 - Beta 1: 198!! Dec 4 - Beta 2: 660!!
Dec 15 - 1st U/S - We're having twins!!!
Dec 23 - 2nd U/S - Surprise it's triplets!!!
February 23rd, 2011, 11:01 AM
1+twins's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That is amazing and you are my hero!!!!!!!!

February 24th, 2011, 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeF View Post
have u always fed them together and in this position? i did only tandem when they were tiny but once they got too big for the nursing pillow and ate a little quicker ive been trying to do them one at a time.
We used an EZ2 Nurse pillow for the first month or so. I ditched that as soon as I could and started nursing like this. The second baby would need a pillow or pillows under her bottom to hold her up, but her head always rested on the first baby's body. This let me nurse them with one hand free. The EZ2 Nurse pillow was great in the beginning, but didn't work that well for me. I could never position it right so it was comfortable. I had to have a pillow behind me or the front had a gaping hole the babies could fall into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabirdof2.5 View Post
That is wonderful!!!! It give me so much hope that I will be successful BFing the twins when they get here.
It takes work, but you definitely can BF twins. I did a lot of short BFing sessions then pumping and feeding from bottles in the beginning. They weren't good at BFing and couldn't get the calories they needed unless I gave them the bottle. They decided to reject bottles on the same day when they were about 2.5 months old and we've been pretty much exclusively BFing since. They've each had a couple bottles since when I've been gone. Since they wouldn't take a bottle from about 2.5m to 7months, I started them drinking from a sippy around 4 months. They liked to eat often, so this allowed me to get away for an hour or two and not worry about them needing to eat.

Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

February 24th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Veteran
i had the same problem with the Brest Friend Pillow nursing pillow ( which I HATED- felt locked in there and claustrophobic even) . I actually took the little rectangular piece that velcroed on the back and would stick it in the hole between my body and the pillow like a headrest for the babies. i still use it- actually right now am nursing them both with a boppy and my good old foam piece because there always seems to be a space no matter how i tandem nurse.
i tried the position u described but just cant really get it and i guess if im typing while nursing two babies its working for me!
February 24th, 2011, 10:24 AM
cachex10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That's great!! I love that pic, it's so sweet!

I have milkaholics, too .... I've been a little concerned with if I'll be nursing them until they're in grade school because they still like to nurse a lot ... even overnight. I had planned to nurse to a year but am now thinking it's going to be more like 15-18 months .... at least, lol.

I also had the EZ 2 nurse pillow and didn't like it much. I just couldn't get it positioned right for the entire session.

February 24th, 2011, 11:43 AM
A&E were nursing a lot until 15 months. That's when I started to cut them back. They still ask to nurse every time I sit down on the couch, so I rarely sit. I only sit if it's on the floor to play with them or if we're eating a meal. I gradually started cutting back around 15 months and they slept through the night for the first time at 16 months. I was going to be done at 18 months, but we're still doing it once a day and they'd do it a lot more often if I let them. I'd like to get them through the flu season in the hopes of keeping them from getting sick. We all just had a horrible batch of flu though, so I know it's not really preventing much at this point.

365 Days in a Roe

February 24th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
That is awesome. I may need to pick your brain about BFing twins. I want to nurse my twins, and at the same time. How horrible was it? Any pointers?
February 24th, 2011, 06:16 PM
It wasn't horrible at all. It was time consuming though, but I'm sure nursing any baby is time consuming. If you really want to nurse, then I think you have to be open to using bottles some, at least in the beginning, if the babies have any issues with weight and/or nursing. Just figure out what works for you and go with it. I made sure I was eating and drinking enough. I think I easily ate at least 1000 extra calories per day for a long time. Not in the beginning, but as they ate more milk and weren't ready for solids. Even after solids, they preferred milk for a long time. Nursing on demand worked best for us, but some people prefer a schedule. I always made them nurse together at night, but didn't always during the day. I paid attention to their temperaments and how hungry they were. I NIP a lot and only nursed one at a time when in public. I had to decide each time which baby would cause less of a fuss if she had to wait. They got used to waiting when in public.

Let me know if you have any specific questions. Like I said, it wasn't easy in the beginning. It did get super easy though and IMO it got way easier than dealing with bottles, especially as they got faster and faster and could eat in 5-10 minutes.

365 Days in a Roe

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search