Solids

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 28th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Veteran
I spoke to my Dr about starting solids. She didn't bring it up at their 4 month ( they were already 4.5 by then) appt but I asked her about it and she said if nursing is going well usually don't start till 6 months. I told her nursing is going well although my skin is very sensitive and flares up every few days and that I guess it would be nice to have a little bit of a break from nursing so much... She said then really anytime between 4 and 6 months solids can be introduced. So the babies will be 5 months next Sunday and Noah took right to it about two weeks ago. He loved it and ate it amazingly well. I've only given it to him once a day at most. Kira wasn't into it so I'm not pushing her since they are still young. I kinda worry I'm starting him too young though and I might have supply issues but for now I still usually nurse him at his solids feed and he seemed so ready for it once he got it... When did you all start your twins on solids and did you do both at the same time or one at a time? If you nursed did you find it helpful to start solids- I just feel like it might enable me to nurse longer in the long run if I can get a break from it here and there.
February 28th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think I started around 5 months, but we didn't even do it every day. I just did it when A&E seemed hungrier than usual. I did start them at the same time, but they were ready. There were days when one wanted to eat and the other didn't, so I only fed one.

I didn't see any changes with my supply at all. They continued to BF a lot! Honestly, mine were mainly BFing and not eating a ton of solids at 12 months. They ate 3 meals per day and some snacks, but were more interested in nursing. By 15 months, they were eating more solids than nursing. They didn't start eating a ton of solids until 16 months when I actively started to wean them and offered solids when they were asking to nurse. Now they eat like champs. I know some kids would rather have the solids and self wean around a year, but mine weren't like that and feeding them solids didn't give me a break. I found that I was spendign time BFing and time feeding solids, so more time than I had been. Once they were feeding themselves the solids with very little assistance (about 11 months) then I felt like I was getting a break.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

March 1st, 2011, 09:54 AM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
we didn't start until 6 months adjusted with our twins, 9 months actual-they were very ready and it worked really well

Marie's five kids are now 7,5,4,4 &2!
March 1st, 2011, 08:17 PM
nateandjenny's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
4 1/2 or 5 months. They wouldn't eat just the rice so we gave them rice with a little bit of peaches or pears. They really like eating food now bus still don't eat as much as other babies we know that are the same age.

March 2nd, 2011, 05:41 AM
mommabirdof4
Just do what feels right for you guys!

For us we delay solids until at least 9 months...we do no traditional baby food...no spoon feeding other then what they can do themselves. It is called baby led weaning...but it is more like baby led solids since weaning is not the goal.

Neither one of my kids replaced BM (JoJo) or formula (lil Jimmy) with solids...they were taking the same amount until well over a year. Solids don't become a daily part of their life till that point. JoJo is a HUGE eater now at 19 months...she loves her food!!!
March 2nd, 2011, 07:36 AM
Veteran
thanks for all the responses- guess i just have to figure out what feels right for us! so many ways to do everything! probably looking into all the different ways makes things more confusing too... maybe by my 5th kid i'll have myself figured out!
March 2nd, 2011, 09:11 AM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We did a lot of the baby lead weaning type stuff. I did feed some from a spoon, but not much.

Another thing we did around here was completely skipping cereal. IMO there is virtually no nutrition in most of the cereals. Instead, we started with avocado and then moved onto green veggies like green beans, zucchini, broccoli and even brussel sprouts.

I agree that you have to do what works for you. If we have another, I'm sure I'll delay solids even longer since I personally didn't like feeding the girls if I didn't have to and they just kept drinking a ton of BM.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search