Scared...

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 2nd, 2011, 11:52 AM
Hi...

I was told I was having twins when I was about 6 weeks pregnant (ultrasound) and I was happy, but yet REALLY scared! Then I calmed down and felt ok about it. Well today I had lunch with a friend that has a 2 year old and now I'm SO scared again! She told me about a former coworker of hers that is just completely stressed with his twins and then she shared the lack of sleep, etc. I know one is hard, but I will be having 2. How do you ladies handle it? I keep thinking... I want to try and breast feed, but how can I do that for 2?

Don't get me wrong... I've been trying to get pregnant for years and had to go to a Fertility Doctor and this is a total miracle. I'm so excited to see my little ones, but I'm just scared!
March 2nd, 2011, 12:06 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
First of all congrats on the twins! You're in for an amazing ride.

Having twins is not easy, but not impossible either. It's so much fun to watch the 2 babies interact. The first few months are a little insane, but you'll survive. Personally, I think it's easier if you just go with the flow. I started going to the gym with mine at 7 or 8 weeks. We took them out in public for the first time when they were less than 2 weeks. I took them out on my own as soon as I got clearance to lift the car seats. I always say that it's chaos at home or chaos when you're out, so why not be out. My kids are and always have been much easier when we're out and about. They get bored sitting at home and we'd all go crazy.

BFing twins is possible. I am still BFing at almost 19 months. I did a lot of pumping and bottle feeding in the beginning and gradually let them take more from the breast and less from the bottle. I was relaxed about BFing and wasn't concerned about them taking the breast vs. the bottle. I did make sure we had some bottles that were conducive to BFing, so they didn't get used to a super fast flow and then get angry waiting for a letdown when they did BF. You may want an EZ2 Nurse or other twin nursing pillow. I would not have been able to tandem feed the first month or so without it. I stopped using it as soon as I could, but it was awesome (and slightly awkward) in the beginning.

If your 2 are like mine, they will love to play with each other. Mine run around the house calling each others names. I don't know about other people's ID twins, but mine have reached most milestones right around the same time. This has made things easier.

Let us know if you have any other specific questions. Don't be scared at all about having twins. I can't stress enough what an amazing experience it is.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

March 2nd, 2011, 01:03 PM
tgc219's Avatar Super Mommy
Congrats Don't worry, it's possible!

My twins are 13 weeks old and everything is going pretty well! We were tired for the first few weeks, but we adapted. My dh is amazing so it's pretty easy for us to handle the 2 babies. For now at least!

My advice? Don't be afraid to ask for help! Let people come over to help with food, laundry, watching them so you can shower or get other things done. Even now, if my husband isn't going to be around to put the kids to bed, I call one of our parents to come help me because it makes things so much easier! We also brought the babies out and about as soon as the drs said it was safe. We took them to Christmas parties at friends houses.

Breastfeeding both of them is totally possible! I screwed myself with this one though because I didn't pump enough (we supplemented with formula) and now I can't keep up with the them! Each baby only gets 4-6oz of breast milk a day now and the rest is formula. I'm still trying though! Pumping at work is helping. So make sure you breast feed and pump as much as you can so you can keep up with them.

It's completely understandable that you're scared, but you just need to go into this with a positive attitude! Think that you CAN handle it, not that you CAN'T. And again, ASK FOR HELP if/when you need it! It's hard to be a super mom if you're run down and completely exhausted and overwhelmed.

You'll be fine! ♥

Thank you .h00dihoo.this. for my awesome siggy!

March 2nd, 2011, 01:07 PM
Thank you so much for your response!!! Are your twins identical? I never even heard of an EZ2 Nurse or a twin nursing pillow. I guess I will learn all this stuff as I go on.

Hearing that you took the girls out so soon makes me feel better. My one friend didn't go out for a year with her daughter because of naps, etc. I think I'd go stir crazy! I'm due in October so I will be heading into the colder months, but even to get to the mall to walk around.

I'm sure I'll have many more questions and any help is MUCH appreciated!!!
March 2nd, 2011, 04:11 PM
Rae-of-Sunshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I can't offer you any advice yet, because like you I am still expecting. I can tell you those these ladies here are amazing and they have definitely been an encouragement to me.

... maybe I do have one piece of advice. The best advice anyone gave me at the beginning was to look for a Moms of Multiples group in your town. I found one here in my town and they have been wonderful too with advice and resources.

Psalm 139:9-10
]
March 2nd, 2011, 06:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
First off, congrats on your pregnancy! Being pregnant with twins was one of the most amazing moments of my life and to this day I still can't believe I carried two babies inside me.

I was where you are a year ago. I found out we were having twins and I cried my eyes out. Mostly from fear of the unknown. A twin pregnancy is so different compared to a singleton and I was afraid of everything that could go wrong. In the end, I ended up having a super easy pregnancy (just very uncomfortable at the end), made it to my scheduled c-section at 37 weeks with no complications AND I worked up until the day before delivery day (no bed rest). So try not to worry about what COULD happen, just take things one day at a time.

Breastfeeding is definitely possible! Celry is a great example. I never was able to get my girls to latch correctly so I exclusively pump. Even though I am only pumping, they haven't had any formula in almost two months. When they did have formula it was only a couple ounces just so I could build a nice freezer stash of milk for their daycare. I am a little disappointed that I couldn't get them to nurse, but the fact that they get breast milk in some way is more important to me. I know I won't be able to keep up with them forever, but I have plenty of milk right now.

My best piece of advice that I got was to try to get them on a schedule. Try to feed them at the same time, put them down for naps at the same time, and when one wakes up in the middle of the night, wake the other one up and feed that one too. If you don't, you are going to be feeding babies all day. Now my girls wake up at the same time to eat and they have similar napping/sleep schedules. It makes things so much easier!

My girls are only 13 weeks old, so I'm still new at this twin thing. The ladies on this board are wonderful so don't be afraid to ask anything! That's what we are all here for.
March 2nd, 2011, 08:56 PM
nateandjenny's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats! Life is little more stressed now then it was before. Yes I sleep less then I did before but I wouldn't change anything! I love having twins. I couldn't imagine only having one baby. I did worry a lot when I was pregnant but that got better the farther I made it. I don't have any breast feeding advice. I do agree with going out. My girls are always happier if we make it outside during the day even if its just going tot he store. We didn't go out until the girls were between 5 and 6 weeks except to dr apts. Having them on same the same schedule is great. I am much more tired if their schedule gets off. It didn't work out for us. You will do you best and you will be great!

March 3rd, 2011, 06:13 AM
tgc219's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by angeleyes04 View Post
My best piece of advice that I got was to try to get them on a schedule. Try to feed them at the same time, put them down for naps at the same time, and when one wakes up in the middle of the night, wake the other one up and feed that one too. If you don't, you are going to be feeding babies all day. Now my girls wake up at the same time to eat and they have similar napping/sleep schedules. It makes things so much easier!
YES YES YES!!! Same schedule is key! Sounds crazy to wake a sleeping baby, but if you don't, you'll be up and down constantly with them!

Thank you .h00dihoo.this. for my awesome siggy!

March 3rd, 2011, 11:53 AM
Thank you everyone for your encouragement!!! I know I'm truly blessed and am so excited to see their little faces!!!
March 3rd, 2011, 03:29 PM
tundrababy's Avatar Mega Super Twin Mommy
Congrats and Welcome!!! Don't worry things will be just fine, its amazing what you can do when you have no choice

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search