Identical Twins

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 7th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Does anybody have identical twins??? Ok... so the internet can be really good, but also really bad!!! I was told I'm having identical twins, but because of my age I have to get the Maternal testing down... Anyway I was looking it up and the next thing I came across is something called Twin-to-Twin Transfusion Syndrome??? Of course I have to start reading it and started getting all worried!!! OMG!!! It just tends to be a little scary about these little beans sometimes!!! All I want are 2 healthy babies!
March 7th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My girls are identical. They shared a placenta but each had their own sacs. So the chances of my girls having TTTS were about 25%. I worried so much about it I almost drove myself crazy. Thankfully the difference in my girls weights were no more than an ounce or two the whole time but I still worried about it. And once the magical "24 week" marker passed with no issues, I stressed about Acute TTTS. I regret it now because deep down I knew my girls would be OK. I wish now that I would have tried to enjoy my pregnancy a little more.

Do yourself a huge favor and try not to spend so much time on the internet researching something that hasn't and probably won't happen. I am sure your doctors are taking steps to monitor your situation closely. I had ultrasounds every month to monitor their growth and to check blood flow from the placenta. And I'm sure your doctor will do the same.

Hang in there and try to enjoy being pregnant with twins. It was an amazing experience and I actually miss being pregnant. Good luck with your pregnancy. And stay away from Google...
March 7th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Super Mommy
I have identical twins. They shared a placenta but were separated by a thin membrane. I worried about TTTS at first, but my doctor told me it wasn't worth stressing out about. My boys were born a month early both weighing within a pound of each other and both perfectly healthy.
Gavyn & Kendric - 8
Joseph - 18 months
Step-mom to:
Kiersten - 8
March 7th, 2011, 02:57 PM
GirlzRock's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mine are also identical and shared a placenta (thin membrane separating them too) and we didn't have any issues. They were born at 38 weeks weighing 5 lb 4 oz and 5 lb 10 oz.

I would try not to worry... your doctor will monitor your progress closely.

Wife to Kris
Mom to FIVE girls! Jade (13), Alexandra (7), Leyna (5) and twins Kira and Kylee!

March 7th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
ID here too. Shared a placenta with a thin divider between their sacs. Their placentas inserted at almost the exact same spot on the placenta, so we were told that they had a higher chance of developing TTTS since they potentially shared more veins they they would have if the cords weren't practically right on top of each other. They were born 3 weeks early with only 7 oz difference.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

March 8th, 2011, 06:50 AM
Thank you all and I've decided...no more googling for me!!! I'm glad to see others having identical twins. It's really cool to think it happened to me!!! I just can't wait to feel them moving!!
March 8th, 2011, 09:25 PM
cachex10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We also likely have ID's but had two sacs and two placentas, so TTTS wasn't an issue for us. We need to do DNA testing at this point to figure out if they are or not.

March 8th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I had 2 identicals and a fraternal. The identicals shared a placenta but a membrane separated them. They did not get Twin to Twin Transfusion. Actually, it was weird b/c they were all 3 born within 1 oz of each other. Don't stress, the doctor will monitor.

Thank you to *Kiliki* for creating the perfect siggy!

"Victory is sweetest when you have known defeat" ~Malcolm Forbes

IUI #1 - Nov 07 = BFN, IUI #2 - Dec 07 = BFN
IVF #1 - Apr 08 = BFN
IVF #2 - Nov 18
Dec 2 - Beta 1: 198!! Dec 4 - Beta 2: 660!!
Dec 15 - 1st U/S - We're having twins!!!
Dec 23 - 2nd U/S - Surprise it's triplets!!!
March 9th, 2011, 06:21 PM
nat1970's Avatar Nicole - Mom2Leah,Ty,TJ
I have identical boys, but had 2 sacs and 2 placentas so there wasn't any worries of TTTS. My peri called mine fraternal the entire pregnancy. I had to have dna testing done to confirm they were identical. Try not to worry too much. With today's technology you will be closely monitored.

March 10th, 2011, 07:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I had identical twins. They were in separate sacs and shared a placenta. They believed they had Twin to Twin Transfusion Syndrome. Twin A had low fluid and was smaller. Twin A also had a Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia. I had ultrasounds every two weeks until I delivered at 28 weeks due to me developing HELLP Syndrome. I too learned not to look stuff up on the internet. I learned to take things with my pregnancy to take things as they come. It helped me through my pregnancy, NICU and losing Madison after 5 months 2 days.
March 10th, 2011, 07:57 AM
mommabirdof4
My twins have their own sacs and placentas...so we don't know if they are identical or not. But I would just take things as they come. With todays technology you will be monitored very closely. Also one thing make sure OB has experience with twins...and I would see a MFM or a peri.
March 11th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Hi, I am a nurse that specializes in multiple pregnancies. While the internet may be intimidating, there is a lot of information that can help you to have the healthiest pregnancy possible.

TTTS can be corrected if caught early – please see

you can find more info on our web site www(dot)texaschildrens.org/fetal

to learn more, or feel free to contact me directly at 713-798-8621

Wishing you the best,
Karen
March 11th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes, it's possible to treat it if caught early enough. Sadly, even if caught early and treated, that doesn't guarantee both babies will survive. I was worried about it, but felt very comforted by the fact the international institute for TTTS is in my area.

Attaching a link in case anyone searches this out later looking for help.
Milwaukee WI - Wheaton Franciscan-Twin-to-Twin Transfusion Syndrome

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

March 27th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Glad to hear I'm not the only one stressing about this! I'm 19wks with identical twin girls (thin membrane but sharing a placenta)
These msg boards are def. a lot better and more reassuring than google! lol
April 7th, 2011, 08:48 AM
I met with the Maternal Fetal doctor yesterday and he confirmed I'm having identical twins. They are sharing a placenta, but there is a thin membrane. He's seeing me every 2 weeks to watch for twin to twin. This appt they looked at the fluid on the spine and both babies had about the same and are measuring good, but there is still that concern. He also told me how I can deliver early, etc. It's all so scary! I'm trying to just enjoy each day as it comes!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search