The boys helmets...

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 10th, 2011, 12:45 PM
nat1970's Avatar Nicole - Mom2Leah,Ty,TJ
Are gone. Yay!!!!!! Just a few days short of 3 months and both Ty and TJ are helmet free, their heads look so good. I'm so glad I can kiss my boys heads w/o a helmet in the way. Thank God for modern medicine. The orthotist was so impressed with their progress in such a short amount of time.

March 10th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Awesome! Congrats to all of you. You're going to love having sweet smelling heads again

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

March 10th, 2011, 01:18 PM
nateandjenny's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
yay! We resubmitted our claim again. should find out in about a week what their answer is. Goal is to have them at the end of the month.

March 10th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateandjenny View Post
yay! We resubmitted our claim again. should find out in about a week what their answer is. Goal is to have them at the end of the month.
Good luck. How old are they again?

March 10th, 2011, 05:30 PM
10 months

March 11th, 2011, 06:09 AM
1+twins's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That is great. Congrats!

March 12th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Well we were denied again. They said we didn't provide any new information (which we did!) so they could not overturn their decision. So my parents said they will pay for it since they know we are saving up to pay cash for a car. Which is awesome! We will be requesting a hearing though to see if we can get them to overturn their decision.

How long did it take to get the helmets after you paid for them?

March 12th, 2011, 09:36 AM
mommabirdof4
Where did you go here in OKC to get your helmets? Just so I can file the info away if I need it later on.

For those momma's who have had kiddos who needed helmets...can you give me some info about what to look for in the boys once they get here? and other things I should know so I can look for these issues with them.
March 12th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Hanger. it is on memorial accross from Mercy. They are awesome there. Very nice and helpful. If your insurance doesn't cover it they are $1250 each.

Both the girls have abnormally flat backs of their head. Both their heads look like rounded triangles with a large bulge on the back left side and small bulge on the front right side. Lilly head is also equally wide as it long so it makes her face look small. I can email you pics of their head if you would like to see their before pics.

March 12th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Quote:
How long did it take to get the helmets after you paid for them?
2weeks

March 13th, 2011, 07:14 AM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Cranial Band's website has great diagrams that show different head shapes. One of my kids had plagiocephaly and the other had Scaphocephaly. The plagio came from tortacollis (tight neck muscles from position in the womb) the scapho came from womb position as well. I could tell the minute baby B was born that she had scapho and watched for it to self correct. I picked up on the tort right away too and asked my pedi to show me which stretching exercises to do to loosen the muscles and give baby A full range of motion. We also positioned both girls specific ways to try to re-shape their heads.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

March 13th, 2011, 09:21 AM
We also did positioning and it didn't do anything.

I hope the girls correct as fast Ty and TJ! 2 weeks ago they said it would prob be 3-6 months. Kinda wished they wouldn't be in them for their birthdays.

March 13th, 2011, 10:33 AM
mommabirdof4
Quote:
Hanger. it is on memorial accross from Mercy. They are awesome there. Very nice and helpful. If your insurance doesn't cover it they are $1250 each.
Is the evaluation and all that stuff included in the cost??

So when should I start looking for signs of this in the boys? And is something the ped has to refer me to?
March 13th, 2011, 11:10 AM
I noticed something was wrong with their heads when they were prob a month old. Hanger told me that if something like that doesn't improve by 6 months they prob need helmets. They told me they have to been in them before their 1st bday for optimal improvement. You can either get a referal from the dr or just make an appointment. The evaluations are free. once you get the helmets you don't have to pay for the follow up visits its all included.

Also, there is a program here in the city called sooner start. If you haven't heard of it it is a free for babies up to 3 years old. They will evaluate them in several different areas and will let you if they are behind in anything or ahead in anything. Hanger had me go to them to see if they needed any therapy. Apparently therapy in any area will help with getting an approval. We didn't qualify for anything because the girls wre ahead in everything. They said that I can bring them back as many times as I want until they are 3.

March 13th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Quote:
We also did positioning and it didn't do anything.

I hope the girls correct as fast Ty and TJ! 2 weeks ago they said it would prob be 3-6 months. Kinda wished they wouldn't be in them for their birthdays.
It is all going to depend on you #1 keeping them in the helmets for the 23 hrs a day and of course head growth. Unfortunately they won't be going in them until 10-11 months and this is when growth slows down a bit. The greatest growth is generally 6-9 months old which is why Ty and TJ got out of them so quickly. I promise you will be happy with your decision in getting them their helmets. If you don't want them wearing them on their bdays, just take them off for their party for a few hours. It is just crucial for them to be wearing them when they are sleeping as that is the time they grow the most. GL post pics when they get them.

March 13th, 2011, 02:58 PM
mommabirdof4
Quote:
I noticed something was wrong with their heads when they were prob a month old. Hanger told me that if something like that doesn't improve by 6 months they prob need helmets. They told me they have to been in them before their 1st bday for optimal improvement. You can either get a referal from the dr or just make an appointment. The evaluations are free. once you get the helmets you don't have to pay for the follow up visits its all included.

Also, there is a program here in the city called sooner start. If you haven't heard of it it is a free for babies up to 3 years old. They will evaluate them in several different areas and will let you if they are behind in anything or ahead in anything. Hanger had me go to them to see if they needed any therapy. Apparently therapy in any area will help with getting an approval. We didn't qualify for anything because the girls wre ahead in everything. They said that I can bring them back as many times as I want until they are 3.
Thanks...will be looking out for it.

Yes my son is in sooner start...he is about to age out soon...he has been getting services since 18 months due to a speech delay. He had a theraphist that comes to the house to work with him...and JoJo had really benefited from it. He is pretty much caught up so once he turns 3 we won't be getting futher services through the school.

I will be getting the twins evaluated if I think they need it...it has been a great experience...and I LOVE that everything is done in our home...I have never had to take him anywhere.
March 13th, 2011, 08:51 PM
I thought the people were so nice there too. I also thought it was great that if they did need therapy that they would have come to the house.

March 14th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Platinum Supermommy
That is wonderful.. Is this a twin thing and why did your babies have to wear helmets ???
March 14th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Generally it is lack of room in utero especiallt in utero. My sons both had Plagiocephaly. A was breech andB transverse most of the pregnancy so they were pretty much head to head. pics here Plagiocephaly

Here is some info here. My boys wore the Star bands. What Is Deformational Plagiocephaly?

Last edited by nat1970; March 14th, 2011 at 09:31 AM.
March 14th, 2011, 10:25 AM
They told me is was mostly because they were smooshed together. The were both head down most of the time and there heads were always smooshed together.

I don't think we have star bands up here. I was originally going to take them to OU but the drs office called and said the closest appointment was 4 months out so they sent my info over to hanger. they called me on a Monday and scheduled me for that Friday. I don't know what they have at OU.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search