new here!

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 4th, 2011, 05:56 AM
Super Mommy
I've been kind of lurking for a little while once I realized we had this board on JM lol I've been so nervous to join but I suppose I'll introduce myself!
I'm Jessica and have one DS who is almost 2 and we found out at my 7w U/S we are having twins EDD is around halloween :-)! total surprise lol we had another U/S a week and a half later that still showed 2 babies measuring 8w 2d (only 3 days off from what we thought!) and both had good HB one was 159 and one was 169.. I have an OB appt Wednesday and I'm so nervous about VTS... I don't know if she will do an u/s or not or even try for the doppler since I'm only about 10 weeks or so.. I'm going to explain my fears though anyway..

anyway, At my last U/S the doc (it wasn't my OB it was at a radiology center) said they were diamniotic.. does that mean Identical? I only see one sac and she said they clearly have membranes around them which is good.. It's so weird to think they are identical since twins run in my family, so I have the capability to drop 2 eggs but instead I get the egg split haha strange..

ok so that's me! haha I hope to be sticking around a while!! :-)

April 4th, 2011, 06:38 AM
nateandjenny's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome and congrats! I have almost 11 month old twin girls that were di/di. We aren't sure if they are id or fraternal. Did they say how many placentas? My dr never used the doppler always did an ultrasound. He said with the doppler you can't always tell if you pick up two different heartbeats or the same one twice.

April 4th, 2011, 06:53 AM
hi, i am 9 weeks and due with twins nov 4th. we saw 2 really good heartbeats at my u/s at 7 weeks, but i dont go back till the 14th. i am so filled with fear that there will be only one then; just praying for peace and joy til then

i am already huge, i've been in maternity clothes for a month and i'm all belly; i look like i'm 4 or 5 months along, how about you? oh and i'm super sick too

i'm glad we're due the same time, i'd love to have someone to chat with

kelly
April 4th, 2011, 06:59 AM
Super Mommy
they didn't say anything about the placentas. I'm going to ask more questions at my OB appt because the other place didn't really explain much lol

that's great merryns.mom! we are due around the same time. I'm already big too lol It is my 3rd pregnancy (although I m/c at 5 weeks with the last one) so I was trying to chaulk it up to that but I'm showing already at 10 weeks lol I luckily had lost a ton of weight after I had my son so I still have my bigger clothes that I am fitting in but not for long! I'm going to need maternity clothes pretty soon! lol

surprisingly I'm not terribly sick.. I never had m/s with my son so I thought this time would be awful especially with 2. I've been on and off queezy but once I eat it usually makes it better. I'm hungry all the time! lol

April 4th, 2011, 07:12 AM
If they have two placentas they can be either if they have one placenta they are identical. There is also a chance that the placentas are fused which puts back at they can be either. Someone with mono/di twins can tell you more about that. I know there are few on here. If they are boy girl they are fraternal. The girls were my first. It was very difficult hiding that we were preggo until I was 13 weeks. I needed maternity clothes at about 10 weeks but just bought bigger pants and wore a hoodie all the time so people would think I was just getting fatter. lol. I had no m/s either but being in the kitchen would always make me feel sick. Prob all in my head but it got me out of dishes for a while.

April 4th, 2011, 08:12 AM
Super Mommy
I can't wait to find out the genders lol SO and I both have boys already so we are hoping for 2 little girls to balance it out :-) one of each would be good too though as long as I have one little girl lol

I'm still trying to hide it from some people too lol it's getting harder especially because the weather is getting warmer which means I can't wear hoodies for much longer! yikes lol

April 4th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Rae-of-Sunshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats and welcome Hopefully everything goes well at your next appt.

My name is Marjorie and I am 30 weeks along with boy/girl twins. I definitely can't understand about showing early, because it was only about a month ago that I had people at work telling me "you finally look pregnant". I could have easily hid the fact I was pregnant until I was 6 months along and people would not have known. (Some of that is probably because I was overweight to begin with before I got pregnant). I still don't look like I am 30 weeks pregnant though, and certainly not with twins.

Hopefully your doc can answer more of your questions at the next appt. The two real key things to find out is whether they share a sac and whether they share a placenta. I didn't know a thing about twins before I found out I was pregnant with them, but there are lots of good sites out there where you can read about all the different types and even the frequency of each. Be careful too with techs who want to tell you that just because your twins are di/di they have to be fraternal. Before we found out they were boy/girl I was intensely curious to know the genders, because I figured that would be at least one clue to whether they were identical or fraternal. The u/s tech laughed and basically told me that they were fraternal because they were di/di. While mine happened to be fraternal in the end, everything I have read says that 25% of identical twins are di/di, so you really won't know for sure if they end up being di/di.

Psalm 139:9-10
]
April 4th, 2011, 11:30 AM
♥womanintheshoe♥'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello, due date buddy (or almost)!! Glad to see you here.

Also missing 11 precious little ones here with us but for a moment.

VERY cautiously expecting after two losses early 2013. Hoping and praying my Valentine's Day due date baby sticks this time.
April 4th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Super Mommy
glad to see you too!!! hopefully we both stick around here!

April 4th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Some OB's actually don't know a lot about twins either. My OB (as great as his is) didn't know that di/di twins could be identical.

April 4th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Congrats and welcome! My girls were mono/di (shared a placenta but had a thin membrane separating the two sacs) so they are identical. My OB said that the thicker the membrane is the more likely that those twins would be frats. On my ultrasounds I couldn't even see the membrane with my untrained eye. That is how thin the membrane was. Your OB should be able to tell you if they share a placenta or a sac.

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy. It will go by so fast! I look forward to hearing about it.
April 4th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats and welcome. My girls were mono/di, also with a very very thin membrane between them.

Do you have a pic of the ultrasound you can post? One thing that can point toward fraternal twins is a thing called twin peaks or the lamda sign. The sacs of identical twins will often look like one big sac with a divider. Fraternal twins usually have sacs that look like rain drops and have a pointed end and a rounded end to both of them. I'm sure you can have the peaks with mono/di twins who split earlier rather than later.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

April 4th, 2011, 07:55 PM
nat1970's Avatar Nicole - Mom2Leah,Ty,TJ
Welcome and congrats. I have 9 month old identical boys. I had 2 sacs and 2 placentas. My peri called them frats the entire pregnancy, but did say they could be indentical since they were the same sex. He said we first needed to confirm blood type and if they were different then we would know for sure and if they were the same then we could move on to zygosity testing which we recently did and found out they are monozygotic. Since I did have 2 sacs and 2 placentas the split happened within the first or second day. So I agree, don't listen to the drs or techs who assume di/di are only fraternal. I hope you learn more soon. GL with your pregnancy. Also, I started showing early as well. My twins and my DD are only 18 months 2 days apart so I'm sure I wasn't fully recovered from my first pregnancy.

April 5th, 2011, 06:38 AM
Super Mommy
Thanks ladies! I didn't get a picture from the radiology center (I assume because they sent them all to my OB) So I'm going to ask about them tomorrow at my appt and maybe even ask for another little U/S just to make sure things are still ok and hopefully get a good pic to share!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search