I know it's early but...BFing...

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 5th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Super Mommy
I know I'm way early to be asking this lol I'm only 10weeks along but I want to be more prepared this time.

When I had my son, I had a c-section because he was breech and I was having some health issues that they didn't want to hurt even more by manually trying to turn him. So it was "scheduled" (I put quotes around that because we knew we would have one but we didn't know they would "schedule" it so early lol) anyway, I was really hoping for a VBAC this go around but now with 2 I highly doubt they will allow me to attempt since I had problems at the end of my other pregnancy, So I'm a little bummed..

the point is, I also was determined to breast feed with my son but he wasn't latching and he was losing too much weight and was way jaundice that I had to supplement and I didn't try hard enough at the breast, I'm mad at myself for that. I pumped for a while but just wasn't making enough to exclusively pump so i quit that too... I was DETERMINED to BF for at least 6 months with this baby. and now that there's 2, I'm terrified I won't make it...

How hard is it to BF 2? what are your tips and tricks to get through?
SO really wants to help out to so I was thinking of BF AND pumping so that SO can bottle feed one sometimes but then I worry about nipple confusion... I hope I produce more this go too..

again I know I have a long time but I just want to have things more "prepared" than last time especially with 2 coming lol

April 5th, 2011, 12:01 PM
babybatax2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats! I was unable to breastfeed my girls, but I did pump for 7 months!

My girls came 9 weeks early so I didn't get to see them for a few hours and then I couldn't hold them for a few days. I opted to pump and then attempt as they got bigger to breastfeed, but they never could latch on right and I didn't have much help from lactation.

It is possible to breastfeed two babies..there are a few moms who are on the board who do it!

Good luck!

07/2007 03/2011 01/2012
April 5th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I BF my 2 for almost 19 months. BFing twins is not easy, but it can be done. My 2 didn't nurse well in the beginning. I would BF and then feed them pumped milk from a bottle at every day time feeding. After the first 2 weeks of virtually no sleep, I decided that I would not BF at all at night. I pumped and fed them bottles at night until they were almost 3 months old. At that point, they were faster at BFing than pumping and bottle feeding and they rejected bottles.

I suggest you do what works for you when the time comes. Pumping and bottle feeding really worked for us until A&E got good at nursing, but that doesn't work for everyone. I was determined to BF and not use formula, but would have gotten a lot more sleep if I had used formula. Some people are perfectly happy with supplementing with formula and it works great for them.

If you do decide to pump, you have to do it often to up your supply. You can't expect to pump a couple times a day and provide for the kiddos. For me, I pumped every time they were up at night. I made sure I was drinking a ton of water and enough food. I also made sure I kept pumping after my first letdown. This let my body know to produce more milk and my supply was awesome. If I had relied on them nursing I fully believe that my supply would have been awful since they were so bad at nursing at first.

Some people find a twin nursing pillow really helpful. We used one for the first couple weeks and then moved onto just a couple regular pillows. I loved the nursing pillow for when they were tiny, but can't imagine using it long term. Lots of people do though.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

Last edited by Celry; April 5th, 2011 at 05:49 PM.
April 5th, 2011, 05:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Just like babybatax I wasn't able to get the girls to nurse after they were born because they stayed in the hospital for 2 weeks. There wasn't any helpful lactation consultants either so I have been exclusively pumping ever since. Thankfully I have an awesome milk supply (I pump at least 60 ounces on a BAD day). I do periodically try to stick them to breast when I am too lazy to pump and some days they take it and some days they don't. I would say that 80% of the time they get bottle fed breast milk.

Celry is right, bfing multiples is definitely possible but hard work. It is even harder IMO to pump and feed multiples. While I was on maternity leave it felt like all I did was pump, feed both babies, change them, put them back to sleep and start the whole process again. But giving them BM is important to me so I stuck with it. I pump at least 8 times a day and drink tons of water to keep my supply up.

Definitely try it and give yourself time to get the hang of things first. It may just even come naturally this time around. Nursing one baby is hard enough, but two (just like anything else) is more work. And if something changes and you decide to go the bottle feeding BM or formula route, that is OK too. The most important thing is that your babies are being fed and you are happy.
April 7th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Veteran
I was just like you and nervous from when I first found out I was having twins about breastfeeding. They were my first and I really wanted to breastfeed. I met with a lactation consultant while on bedrest so I could feel more prepared but honestly I don't think it helped. Every situation will be different and there is no predicting what will be with you and your babies. I had one baby come home with me and another in the NICU for a week so the beginning was a challenge as it seems breastfeeding usually is with one or two. I think it just took the determination to really want to do this and not give up. My baby boy in the NICU received formula for some feedings and my little girl at home needed to be supplemented. I did my very best to pump as much as I could for them both but nursing them both and running back to the hospital and pumping became too much and so I closed my rented hospital grade pump and hoped my babies would do their thing to encourage supply. They never had any problems going between bottle and breast and have taken formula great. My supply seemed fine and the babies were gaining weight. I needed to take some pressure off myself to only do breastmilk and eventually they were exclusively breastfed. They had latch trouble and the nipple shields were a lifesaver and made tandem nursing way easier. We used the twin nursing pillow while they were tiny which also made tandem possible which was helpful to me because they were eating so often.
Where there is a will there is a way!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search