CIO?

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 6th, 2011, 06:16 AM
tgc219's Avatar Super Mommy
Ok btdt moms of multiples who have let their babies cio, I have a ? for you....

My twins share a room. I think we're going to start to let them cio soon, but I'm worried about one waking up the other? Did anyone have this issue? Do you just let it happen and let both of them cry? How is one supposed to handle this?

Right now, Joey will get up once after about an hour of sleeping. We'll give her some bottle, rock her and put her back in her crib. When she wakes up, she's usually just "talking" and trying to eat her hands. Alex is going back and forth. Sometimes he'll sttn and other times he's up every 2-3 hours! When he wakes up, he gets pretty fussy and will start whining and crying.

Any suggestions/tips???

Thank you .h00dihoo.this. for my awesome siggy!

April 6th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We didn't really do CIO, but A&E would and still do sleep through the other crying if they aren't ready to get up.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

April 6th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Veteran
I have no tips as my twins are only 6 months old but we are going through the same things here. Kira will fall asleep on her own and be out for the night waking once to eat. Noah on the other hand does the same thing Joey does- seems to think bedtime is just a nap! They share a crib and I had been letting him cry a little and Kira never woke from it. They have been sharing since birth so I'm assuming they are used to it. It's hard to know sometimes if the other baby happened to wake at the same time or was awoken but since they don't wake at the same time in the middle of the night I figure it's just coincidence when it does happen ( if that made any sense!). Who knows!
We're going to the pediatrician next week and I plan to ask her about how to go about night sleeping and CIO ...
hopefully some btdt moms can give some advice- I know after 6 months of this I'm getting tired!
April 6th, 2011, 10:59 AM
We have an apt on Monday so I'll be asking a bunch of ?s then. I'm just wondering how to let 1 baby scream without waking the other baby up. They're used to each other crying, but if one is sleeping and the other one is flying off the handle...that's a different story!

April 6th, 2011, 11:16 AM
1+twins's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
IT IS AMAZING! Ours don't wake and never have when the other cries, unless they are just ready to get up anyway. We did CIO and it was THE BEST THING WE EVER DID! I also took the pacis at that point because mine kept waking up when they would fall out. UGH! So, no they won't wake up. Even during naps the other will snore away if they aren't ready to get up. It still baffles me to this day!

April 6th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Veteran
not to steal ur thread here but twins+1 ( sorry I don't know your name) would you mind sharing what exactly CIO entailed for you that worked? Do you let them cry when it's bedtime and instead of rocking them to sleep they cry themselves to sleep? When they wake in the middle of the night do you just let them cry? One of ours usually needs to be rocked to sleep and then if he wakes after a short amount of time we try not to pick him up and soothe him back to sleep. If they wake in the middle of the night and it's been a good few hours ( usually more than 4) since they last ate then I feed them and they usually go right back to sleep. I don't know where to let them cry in this... thanks!
April 7th, 2011, 07:04 AM
Well I am not a rocker. Never have been. I am a take you up to bed, give kisses and hugs, and lay you down and walk out. So when I started I would watch the clock and I wouldn't go in for at least 5 mins. I heard that 5 mins was the magic number so when they wake up in the middle of the night let them cry for 5 mins before you go in. I did and when I first started it was like clock work 5 mins and their crying would settle down and not be so enraged. The first night they cried for a while though but after 5 mins it wasn't as screamy. I would go in every 15 mins though and just pat them and walk back out. The second night they did better and the third night they did even better and was almost at 5 mins and would go right to sleep, no crying at all after the 5 min mark. I will say that for about 2 months after they would always wake up once or twice and do a 3-5 min cry and then go right back to sleep. So it didn't magically stop, but I wasn't getting up to go in there at all after that first 3 nights. As for where and when, I just did it for nap and night sleeping. and yes even in the middle of the night. CIO isn't for everyone and you have to really be committed to it for it to work. Some people are totally against it, but for me it really was the best thing EVER. Now at bed time people are amazed when they come over and we put them to bed that we just pretty much drop and run. We will start doing the whole read books and stuff like we did with my oldest when they are older. Right now our focus was getting them to understand it is bedtime so goodnight. With 3 kids doing a whole routine for each one is too much. I hope this helps and message me if you have questions. I don't know if this is the typical CIO method since I have never read a book or anything... I just did it cold turkey too. I couldn't take it anymore and was going insane.

April 7th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
my boys learned to sleep thru each other crying. Theo would get swaddled, paci'd, then fall asleep really quick, and he learned to sleep through Arthur who needed to cry himself down each time.
I only CIO once all their needs had been met. I rocked DS1 to sleep for 8 months straight, there was no way I could do that with the twins. I'd feed, change, swaddle, paci, and put their in their cribs with mobile on, and they'd get themselves to sleep. All four kids are amazing self-soothers and excellent sleepers.
April 7th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We do the drop and run things too We do read books and brush teeth and do all that stuff, but it's in our family room and not their bedroom. Once we bring them to bed, we put them in the crib, say good night and leave. If we stick around, they want to play. We used to lay them down, but now they just want to stand there jumping in the crib until we shut the door. We give them the option to keep jumping or lay down and be covered, usually they keep jumping.

We didn't do CIO. I'm one of those people who just doesn't do that. We tried it to an extent, but both kids do not give up. They are stubborn litle things. We did do a slightly modified version where if we knew they didn't need anything, we would give them a few minutes and they might go back to sleep. We just listened to the way they cried and determined what to do based on that. We still do that at times. One of my girls thinks that 4:30 am is a good wake up time. We don't agree with her This morning, she screamed and jumped and carried on for 30 minutes before just laying back down and sleeping an additional hour. I know she isn't really ready to get up for the day and I went in an gave her a pacifier when she started to make noise.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

April 7th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Night #1 went pretty well. They both cried for almost an hour and then they were OUT! Slept from about 9 until 5, cried for a half an hour and then slept til 7. Tonight they both fell asleep in 12 minutes! We'll see how long they will sleep for...I'll kyp.

April 8th, 2011, 06:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgc219 View Post
Night #1 went pretty well. They both cried for almost an hour and then they were OUT! Slept from about 9 until 5, cried for a half an hour and then slept til 7. Tonight they both fell asleep in 12 minutes! We'll see how long they will sleep for...I'll kyp.

OH YAY! I am happy you are seeing progress. It will get better I promise.

April 8th, 2011, 07:04 AM
nateandjenny's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
we only did 5 min depending on how there cry was. If it was their really tired cry we would leave them. If it was their bad cry we would do about 2-3 min. It all really just depended on their cry. They rarely made it to the 5 min mark.

April 8th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Veteran
So glad to see it's working for you! I have to bite the bullet and just do it because it's getting ridiculous being up 4 times a night between the 2 of them. Good luck and KUP!
April 8th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I could ditto almost everything Celry said. We didn't really do CIO. We made one little attempt, but my kids never gave up. Especially one of them. Eventually around a year, one of the twins "got it." She's been a good sleeper ever since. The other twin still gets up once a night. Sometimes more (2-3 times).

Now we threw a baby in the mix...who at almost 7 months still thinks she's a newborn most nights! I get up with her about every 2 hours (so about 5 times) while DH deals with the twin who isn't fond of dreamland. Oh well. We've gotten so used to not getting a good night of sleep that if we chose to have another, it should definitely be sooner rather than later. I would hate to just start STTN and then have to readjust to the very regular night wakings to deal with kids!!

Good luck! I hope you start getting some more sleep soon!

April 8th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Last night was great! Joey slept til 6:45am! Alex woke up around 11pm-ish for a little bit but fell back asleep til 7am! I'd call that another successful night Hopefully this is actually working and it isn't just a fluke...

All of your advice/suggestions/personal experiences certainly helped! Thanks!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search