Overwhelmed, Newbie. Looking for stroller advice - best for newborns?

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 12th, 2011, 07:50 AM
The Wife's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to The Wife
Hello all... I've still got a ways to go, but I have been not wasting anytime trying to research. I find it harder to find things for twins since there are less resources out there.

Looking for recommendations for twin newborn strollers that are budget friendly and maneuver well...

Side by Side or Tandem.

I've seen regular side by side, with the normal toddler seats, I'm new to the expecting world -- so I don't know -- can these seats sit newborns? How does this all work.

Is it better to have a stroller that fits carseats and then eventually can convert to no carseats...?

I am feeling very overwhelmed at the moment... and I'm not even sure what I should be asking...

Stop by, we'd love to have you!
--> www.BECAUSEOFMATCH.com

April 12th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I personally love my Kolcraft Contours tandem. I don't know a single person who has it and dislikes it. It is a little heavy, but I don't have a problem swinging it in and out of my car. I have a van now, but used to drive a Civic and it fit in that trunk. The seats are removable and can be switched to face forward or backwards. It's pretty inexpensive as far as nice double strollers go. There are much nicer ones out there, but you pay a lot for them.

I also have a Jeep side by side. My kids love to ride in this and play with it, but it is not my go to stroller. I use this mainly for short walks around the neighborhood and I used to use it for short trips into places like the post office. I use my Kolcraft for most of that stuff now if I use a stroller at all.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

April 12th, 2011, 10:47 AM
babybatax2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We also have the Kolcraft Contours. We got the attachments so we could put the babies in their carseats right into the stroller (kinda like the snap 'n go). I think that was easiet with little ones. The stroller is awesome!

We can fit a ton of stuff in the basket...and we have a lot of medical stuff!

We also have a side-by-side jogger, but only use that outside going to the park and stuff

07/2007 03/2011 01/2012
April 12th, 2011, 12:32 PM
TwoPeasinAPod's Avatar Veteran
I love the stroller I bought.. but I have not used it yet ...
Just loved all the features of how it folds down & that it is very light. It fits most carseats, and you can change the seating positions all different ways.
It is the Baby Jogger City Select Double
April 12th, 2011, 02:35 PM
nat1970's Avatar Nicole - Mom2Leah,Ty,TJ
I used a Chicco double tandem stroller with the Chicco infant seats and loved it. Now that they are older and conv seats I use my Maclaren umbrella more. I bought my Chicco new for $260 and have a buyer for $200 so it was worth it. But then not just ready to part with it atm. I loved it because it was so convienient to put the carriers in them when we went out.

Chicco Cortina Together Double Stroller - Cubes - Chicco - Babies "R" Us

Last edited by nat1970; April 12th, 2011 at 02:40 PM.
April 12th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Veteran
I have been through a few strollers in my twins short 6 months! I never realized how vital a proper stroller was until the ones I had were making my life way too difficult.
I bought a used double snap n' go planning to use that mainly in the beginning but it was a bus that wouldn't turn. I'm sure it would have been better if it was new but I didn't feel like "wasting" 100 dollars on a frame.
My Aunt texted me while in the hospital offering either one of those ridiculous Mamaroo space pod looking seats or a double city mini. So I took the City Mini! It seemed great until I couldn't fit it through my apt door. It was a very easy push though and fits through like all other doors. It can also be used from birth I'm pretty sure you can't put two carseats on.
So... after pleading my case to my husband and cashing in all of my buy buy baby store credit we splurged on the City Select and I LOVE IT! ( Two Peas in a Pod you will too once you can use it
It is an awesome stroller for twins and I felt like it was an investment because it can be used as a single stroller as well. Which is also nice sometimes on the rare occasion that only one baby goes out. One of the main reasons I wanted it was that I needed a stroller that could hold two carseats and still move around in stores, between parked cars... I also wanted to be able to take walks around my neighborhood and this stroller is great for both. You do have to take the adapters or seats out to fold it up but it takes two seconds and I've gotten the whole thing down to a science and the babies are in the car and the stroller in the trunk in the matter of minutes. It fold very easily and fits nicely into the Altima trunk. The seats themselves say not to use until 6 months but the seat lies literally flat so I used it earlier. Also it has a HUGE basket underneath- I went grocery shopping and bought a good amount of stuff and pushed it home easily.
I could go on about it!
April 13th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was thinking about this today. Not to throw you another curve, but have you thought about carseats? We bought Britax infant seats because the lower weight limit was 4 lbs. It all depends on when the babies are born, but some hospitals do make sure the babies weigh enough to go in their carseats. My kiddos were born at 36w 5d and had no NICU time. They were still considered premies, so they had to do carseat tests before leaving the hospital. They each had to sit, strapped into the carseat, for a specific period of time. They were hooked up to monitors and had to show they had no issues with breathing or their heart. I think we talked about this a short while back with some other moms. Some said their hospital checked the weight limit when the babies were released and others said they didn't. My kiddos were 5 lbs 5 oz and 5 lbs 12 oz when born, but the smaller one dropped below 5 before leaving the hospital. We would not have been able to leave if we didn't have a carseat that was for a 4 lb baby.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

April 13th, 2011, 08:47 PM
tundrababy's Avatar Mega Super Twin Mommy
IF I was going to do it again, I would probably just get a double snap'n'go until the babies were a couple months old to know better what my needs were. I had the Kolcraft Tandem and loved it, we mostly used mostly as a snap'n'go, we do a lot of trail walking and it is a beast to push (compared to my BOB) I also had a Peg Perego Aria Twin to take them into my 5yr old school, I wanted a sbs that had a 5pt harness and complete recline for little babies that could still fit through doorways. Since the boys turned 1 last year, our jeep and BOB have been getting the most use. I love love my BOB duallie

Its hard (at least that is what I tell myself for an excuse) to find a perfect stroller for all the stages, so don't stress about it too much. I bought all of my strollers, with the Kolcraft as the exception, used from our Twin groups and have sold ones without problem as well, so really in the end not too much money invested.

April 14th, 2011, 07:23 AM
Jara's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have the Contours Options by Kolcraft and LOVED it. I loved that it would be used like a snap and go then as a regular stroller. For me I had the seats postioned so teh twins faced each other.

I also have a Baby Jogger City Mini Double that is usually my go to stroller now (it's a side by side)

Wyatt(5) Lydia(2) Emerson(5) Kaeden(7)
April 14th, 2011, 08:53 AM
nateandjenny's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Our first stroller was a snap n go. I LOVED IT! It is a bit hard to maneuver but I guess you get used to it because it never bothered me but my husband didn't like it much. I had duo glider and didn't like it because who ever sat in the front could lean over out the side. I quit using it when a stupid lady decided she needed to jam her cart next to the stroller (when her cart would obviously not fit through the 2 feet gap) and almost smashed Abby because she leaned out a the same time. I now have a contours and love it! I found it cheaper on Amazon. There is only one store here that sells it for $270 but I got it on Amazon for $185 or something. I also have a Jeep sbs. Its pretty good. hardly use it now sine I have the contours. the girls like to face each other. I also have a babytrend expedition jogging stroller that I don't like but mostly because the previous owner did not take good care of it. I would recommend buying a jogging stroller with a swivel front wheel. OUrs has a stationary front wheel and its a pain to turn.

On car seats... the car seats that we had to take the girls in really did not fit them well. Lilly 4lbs 9oz when we brought her home and Abby was 5lbs 1oz. Neither fit well in their car seats. We thought we would be ok with seats that started at 5lbs. We had to go get new ones. They did not do a car seat check at the hospital. They said they were not allowed to that unless they were being discharged from the NICU to go home. THey said it was a liability issue. Good thing my MIL was there or else we would have put them in there all wrong.

April 14th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Bug-n-Ed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have a Graco Duo Glider. I had it for my boys when my second was born, but I used it for the first time for the twins yesterday. It's big, but maneuvers fairly well. It can be a hassle in stores, but I never really used it in stores other than the mall before.

For car seats, the hospital my twins were born at did the car seat check. If they fail, then the hospital will rent car seat beds. I had made sure I bought car seats that start at 4lbs instead of the normal 5lbs because I knew that they would probably be small. One of the girls was 5lbs when born and the other was 5lbs 6oz. One of them was under 5lbs when we left the hospital, but since the car seats started at 4lbs, they were both able to pass the car seat check (oxygen levels were okay for both as well while in the seats) we got to bring them home in the car seats I had bought. We got the Graco Infant Snugride 30. There's a few other car seats that start at 4lbs, but not many.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search