steriod shots just in case???????????????

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 13th, 2011, 07:33 PM
mommabirdof4
Did any of the BTDT momma's get the steriod shots just in case??

Okay my OB wants me to get the steriod shots at 30 weeks just in case the boys come early. I am doing good with PTL...little to no contractions to speak of...cervic is long and closed. I had to go to L&D today because the boys weren't moving at much as normal...everything checked out great...in the hour I was there i had no contractions (and babies looked great on the monitors). The thing is I know that things can change in a heartbeat and can start going down hill and fast....so I am not naive that I won't run into problems later on.

I agreed to the shots because I don't think it can hurt but I do think it could help the babies if they do come early. I am nervous about doing them because I don't want to think about the boys coming early and having issues...the NICU scares the poop out of me.

Just looking for BTDT stories.
April 13th, 2011, 07:55 PM
nateandjenny's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
no shots here didn't have PTL until 34 weeks. shot were never mentioned by either dr.

April 13th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Veteran
My Dr never mentioned giving me shots just in case but she wasn't very proactive in general with my care. I did have preterm labor at 32 weeks and the minute I walked into L&D they gave me the first shot. They barely even assessed what was going on when they gave me the steroids just in case. Seemed like it was something that couldn't hurt no matter what turned out. It does also take time to take effect so I guess why not make sure they can take effect before any problem arises?
Even with the shot and not delivering until 35w4d one of my babies still had to go to the NICU. Not a fun situation but I was so relieved we made it further and I knew he was healthy despite having to be there for a little.
Hopefully your babies will come at the right time and come home with you!
April 13th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I went into pre-term labor around 32 weeks. Before that I had no contractions. My doctor immediately gave me the steroid shot and terbutaline(sp?). Long story short, they were able to stop labor, and I got the second shot 24 hours later. I made it 3 more weeks until my water broke at 35 weeks. The twins had no NICU time. I believe the steroids helped with that.

April 13th, 2011, 08:20 PM
babybatax2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I got steriod shots at 25 weeks due to PTL and then again right before I delivered at 31 weeks.

The girls spent 2 months & 7 months in the NICU...not sure if they helped or not?!

07/2007 03/2011 01/2012
April 13th, 2011, 09:33 PM
tundrababy's Avatar Mega Super Twin Mommy
We had no plans to get them 'just in case' but when I had BP and protein in urine issues I got them at 32wks, I delivered at 37w3d so no idea if they helped or not, but its probably something I wouldn't have done 'just in case'. Tough call, good luck!!

April 14th, 2011, 05:42 AM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I got them, I think around 28 weeks. I was on a terbutaline pump to stop contractions and my cervix was funneling from the inside. They decided it was a good idea to give me the shots and I agreed. My kids were born at 36w 5d and have no breathing issues. I don't know if it helped, but I do know other babies born aroudn that time that needed some breathing assistance.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

April 14th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Jara's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I got the shots around 30 weeks (had PTL at 28 weeks). The twins where born at 37.5 weeks via induction. Baby B spent one night in the NICU for some breathing issues... but they are pretty sure her issue was because of her Emergeny C/S. Baby A had no issues. Both came home with us.

My Sister did not have the shots with her twins. They were born at 36.2 weeks and spent about 2 weeks in the NICU for breathing issues.

Wyatt(5) Lydia(2) Emerson(5) Kaeden(7)
April 14th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Super Mommy
I know this isn't the same but my singleton son was born at 36w 5d and didn't get steroids even though they knew he would be early which worried me, but I lucked out and he was perfect. I'm saying this though because I'm terrified of this pregnancy with twins since my last one wasn't great and I will definitely be taking the steroid shots if they say something (I may even ask about them if they don't say anything) just to be sure. If my singleton only made it to 36w5d, these twins probably won't make it that long :-/

April 14th, 2011, 09:04 AM
tundrababy's Avatar Mega Super Twin Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alternamom View Post
I know this isn't the same but my singleton son was born at 36w 5d and didn't get steroids even though they knew he would be early which worried me, but I lucked out and he was perfect. I'm saying this though because I'm terrified of this pregnancy with twins since my last one wasn't great and I will definitely be taking the steroid shots if they say something (I may even ask about them if they don't say anything) just to be sure. If my singleton only made it to 36w5d, these twins probably won't make it that long :-/

I carried my twins longer than my singleton, so you never know

And I totally forgot since its been 2 yrs, but Baby B did having some breathing issues but not serious enough to be in NICU, he was in the level 2 nursery for 2 days but allowed to come to my room on a pulse ox to nurse. Likely due to being a c/s birth

April 14th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Super Mommy
^^ really??? I'm hoping to at least making it to 36 weeks with the twins, that's my goal lol but would LOVE to make it to 38. The goal last time was 38 but they didn't want to wait.

April 14th, 2011, 09:40 AM
nateandjenny's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I should add that at 36 weeks both girls had oxygen after delivery. Lilly came up to the room 2 hours (I think) after delivery because they were observing her and Abby spent 2 days in the NICU. They just took here there just in case. They never did anything but monitor her there.

April 14th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I got the steriod shot at 32 weeks just in case I delivered early as well. However I was admitted in the hospital for monitoring for contractions at that time. Thankfully I didn't go into pre-term labor and ended up making it to my scheduled c-section at 37 weeks. From what my OB told me the steriod shot speeds up lung development for only so long and then it tapers off and doesn't make any difference after a while. My girls still had breathing issues when they were born and spent 2 weeks in the NICU.
April 14th, 2011, 08:09 PM
nat1970's Avatar Nicole - Mom2Leah,Ty,TJ
I never had PTL so I never got them. I did ask my OB about it especially since I was having boys and she said there was no indication of my needing them. I delivered 36w5d 5 days earlier than my scheduled c/s because my water broke. No NICU for TJ, but Ty went for 3 days only because the nursery nurse screwed up and fed him with the fast flow nipple and then had some temp issues. Temp issues is usually an issue with preterm babies because they don't get the brown fat during the last few weeks.

April 15th, 2011, 06:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I was admitted at 32 weeks and actually in labor, but got terb to stop it. My doc did give me the steroids and I delivered at 34 1/2 weeks and had 3 very healthy little boys.

Thank you to *Kiliki* for creating the perfect siggy!

"Victory is sweetest when you have known defeat" ~Malcolm Forbes

IUI #1 - Nov 07 = BFN, IUI #2 - Dec 07 = BFN
IVF #1 - Apr 08 = BFN
IVF #2 - Nov 18
Dec 2 - Beta 1: 198!! Dec 4 - Beta 2: 660!!
Dec 15 - 1st U/S - We're having twins!!!
Dec 23 - 2nd U/S - Surprise it's triplets!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search