Appt. today...feel discouraged

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 18th, 2011, 07:30 PM
♥womanintheshoe♥'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My OB is wonderful. We are good friends and I just adore her as a person and as my care provider. I know it is her job to present the facts to me, unpleasant as they may be and I was ready to hear what she had to say regarding my twin pregnancy, but I guess I wasn't so ready after all.

Where I live there is no NICU so if I go into labor before 36 weeks I will be flown down to Phoenix. My OB suggested I find someone to stay with down there from 34-36 weeks so if something does happen at least I can skip a very expensive helicopter ride. I had already considered doing this yet hearing her suggest it makes me worried. Delivering at a hospital that has only a basic nursery scares me now.

I was also told that unless both babies are head down I will have a c-section. I wouldn't fight a c/s if it was absolutely necessary yet to automatically be put as needing one because of twins...I'm struggling with that.

The last thing was my doctor questioning my decision to get an NT scan. I've never had one before and since the AFP test results will be skewed due to having twins I want measurements, I want to know if there is an increased risk of Down's. I spent my first 8 pregnancies gripped with fear at having an unexpected Downs baby (long story but it is a huge fear of mine). My last pregnancy I had the blood test and seeing the results was a huge relief. Why shouldn't I get the NT scan? I wouldn't terminate yet I just want to know. My OB has asked me to just carefully consider my decision to get the scan.

I've gained 15lb in 2 months. Not good.

I need some encouragement.

Also missing 11 precious little ones here with us but for a moment.

VERY cautiously expecting after two losses early 2013. Hoping and praying my Valentine's Day due date baby sticks this time.
April 18th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Super Mommy
first of all I've gained about the same in 2 months so don't feel too bad about that lol

and second, she was telling you to not get the scan?? My OB asked if I was going to get it and I said yes, I got it done with my son, and she just shook her head yes like it was a good choice. I mean, to each their own but if you want it, get it.

that is scary that your hospital doesn't have a NICU but it's good to have a plan. that's a fear of mine now too that these babies will come too early. i'm lucky to have a NICU in my hospital though, which I'm going to have to tour since I didn't see it last time... oh what new things to be concerned about with a multiple pregnancy...
I had a c-section with my son so I was really determined to get a VBAC this time before I knew it was twins. So I'm pretty bummed that most likely I will be having a c-section regardless.. So I kind of know how you feel about just not having many choices.. I never had a real labor or delivery so I just wanted that once..

I know I can't give you much encouragement because we are going through the same thing at the same time lol but I'm here with you! We will bring 2 healthy beautiful babies each into the world in Oct :-)

April 18th, 2011, 08:11 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You sound like me in the beginning. One of the first things I did when I found out I was having twins was ask the Dr if I had to have a csection. She told me that if both were head down I could deliver vaginaly, but if one was breech, then I'd have a csection. I really did not want the csection, but in hindsight I'm glad I did it. Having one vaginally and the other via csection was not something I felt comfortable with. My doctor refused to do a breech extraction because the twins were babies #1 and 2 for me. Plus, my kids shared a placenta and she was worried about what would happen after the first twin was delivered. One of my girls took a breath and then refused to take another after birth. She had to be really encouraged to take that second breath. I don't like to think about what a vaginal birth may have done to her. SHe might have been fine, but there is no way to know. I did a ton of research and knew exactly what would happen during the csection. It was a completely relaxed environment. The recovery is slower than a vaginal birth, but the actual csection is not bad at all.

Your doctor should be supportive if you want the NT scan. I'm surprised she would be so against it if you're asking for it. You have to be your own medical advocate. Do whatever you think is right. If she doesn't like it, then that's her own issue, not yours.

Hopefully you'll deliver after 36 weeks and the NICU won't be an issue. I delivered at 36w 5d and my girls needed no NICU time. There are plenty of twins who don't need NICU time, but being in a place with a good NICU would be ideal.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

April 19th, 2011, 02:47 PM
April Flowers's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Your OB seems to be giving almost the opposite advice that mine did. Mine highly encouraged the NT scan exactly because the blood measurements would be off.

This was my first delivery and I delivered vaginally with no problems. Twin A was vertex, twin B was transverse but flipped to breech after twin A was delivered, and I had an easy recovery and virtually no problems. Even with the breech extraction (which gave me a 2nd degree tear) my doctor was gung-ho about not doing a c-section unless there was a problem.

I delivered at 37w1d. My hospital had no NICU, but there was a good one a half an hour away. I was allowed to deliver there at any time after 34 weeks. I was a little nervous about having no NICU, but I was induced and everything went great.

I say to be your own advocate. Don't let your OB scare you into something you don't want to do. The OB's in my area will attempt vaginal delivery as long as twin A is vertex.

Gorgeous siggy courtesy of tasha_mae!
Oct 26, 2010--Thing 1 is a BOY and Thing 2 is a GIRL

April 19th, 2011, 08:08 PM
nat1970's Avatar Nicole - Mom2Leah,Ty,TJ
I would be scared to not have atleast a level II in your hospital. Perhaps you can see how your pregnancy progresses.

I'm surprised they are discouraging you from doing the scan. I understand the blood portion will be off, but they can still measure the necks. Although sometimes it is difficult to work with shadows. I personally had to know for certain and that is why we did a CVS. While it is risky, I felt good about my perinatologist doing it. They had to do A vaginally and that was a little painful. I was very glad I did it though. The piece of mind was worth it and of course I got to find out gender early.

April 23rd, 2011, 03:14 PM
peace.love.audrey
Tooooootally lurking but I am curious if she wants you to go to Good Sam in Phoenix?
April 23rd, 2011, 03:21 PM
I appreciate the encouragement and input from you all. I found out that the hospital north of me (where I delivered my first two babies) takes our insurance and has a Level II nursery. So I will be going up there starting at about 35 weeks and delivering up there. I have to decide if I want to induce so as to ensure that my labor team can be there; otherwise I risk them not being able to make it in time! I have my NT scan this Tuesday which has me incredibly stressed, yet I know once it is done I will be relieved.

Quote:
Tooooootally lurking but I am curious if she wants you to go to Good Sam in Phoenix?
I have no idea! I'll have to ask my doctor the next time I see her. I'd prefer Flagstaff over Phoenix any day, though.

VERY cautiously expecting after two losses early 2013. Hoping and praying my Valentine's Day due date baby sticks this time.
April 23rd, 2011, 03:40 PM
peace.love.audrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥womanintheshoe♥ View Post
I have no idea! I'll have to ask my doctor the next time I see her. I'd prefer Flagstaff over Phoenix any day, though.
Oh ok. I was just asking because that's where I work and we deliver the most multiples/high-order/high-risk multiples in the country and are one of the top in the country for our OB services. We also have places to park RV's (we have a lot of patients that come from around the country) and guest lodging. I was just going to try and lift your spirits about coming to Phoenix by telling you what an awesome hospital Good Sam is for high-risk/multiples. Good Luck no matter where you end up!
April 23rd, 2011, 04:57 PM
CrystalAnne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You sound exactly like I did when I first found out we were having twins and had to deal with the 'ok, what all is different now?' questions.

I was able to deliver my twins vaginally, but didn't know that for sure until the last u/s before they were born showed baby B was head down (she flipped back and forth several times). The unknown is intimidating, but twins does not equal c section. . . .it increases the chances, yes, but as pp mentioned, c sections are a longer recovery but you can still have a positive birth experience!

I'm glad you found a hospital with a level II nicu I had a fear of going before 36 weeks because I knew it meant an expensive helicoptor ride, so I know what that feels like.

You're doing great, keep up the good work baking those babies! lots of T&P that the NT scan goes smoothly and your anxiety level stays manageable in the meantime
April 23rd, 2011, 05:45 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥womanintheshoe♥ View Post
I I have my NT scan this Tuesday which has me incredibly stressed, yet I know once it is done I will be relieved..
I have mine on Tuesday too!!!mine is at 1pm EST ..keep me updated on yours :-)
I'm also still sooo stressed about both being ok.. I'm excited but so nervous about seeing the babies.. we really are in this at the same time lol

I also wanted to add that I'm so glad you found a hospital with a Level II... sounds like you're getting a plan together..

April 23rd, 2011, 08:19 PM
nateandjenny's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Can you stay at a Ronald McDonald house? not sure what the rules are for that.

April 23rd, 2011, 11:30 PM
Quote:
Can you stay at a Ronald McDonald house? not sure what the rules are for that.
If I go to Phoenix I have access to a travel trailer. In Flagstaff, however, I have at least a dozen people with whom I could stay including my dc's guardians. So I'm going with Flagstaff if the OB I choose is OK with taking me on later in the game.

Quote:
I have mine on Tuesday too!!!mine is at 1pm EST ..keep me updated on yours :-)
I'm also still sooo stressed about both being ok.. I'm excited but so nervous about seeing the babies.. we really are in this at the same time lol
I thought you were the same day. I'm avoiding our DDC...this is my way of dealing with stressful emotions. I'm such a baby.

Quote:
You sound exactly like I did when I first found out we were having twins and had to deal with the 'ok, what all is different now?' questions.
This is how I feel! I was fine with facing the double buying (carseats, crib, etc.) but all of the pregnancy/delivery stuff is a bit much to take in.

May 10th, 2011, 09:20 AM
erleigh's Avatar Super Mommy
Yay you're having twins! I haven't been over to the Aug '10 PR in months so I didn't know. Congrats!

I was scared about having a C section too. My babies flipped head down early on and stayed that way through the pregnancy. My OB kept gently encouraging me to have a C section anyway but she didn't say why. I went into labor on a Saturday so the on-call doc delivered my babies. He, too, encouraged me to have a c-section. I went ahead with a vag delivery and after they were born, he admitted that he was nervous delivering twins vaginally.

As for the weight gain... that's good! I had a history of preterm labor with my first so I was terrified I'd have the twins WAY early. I read a lot about how to keep them cooking as long as possible and I read over and over that gaining weight early was the best chance. 24 lbs in the first 24 weeks. I did it and had them at 37 weeks so maybe all that eating worked.

Good luck on your NT scan!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search