New here

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 12th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Hello,
I'm 14 weeks and I just found out at 12 weeks (during the NT scan) that I'm having twins! My doc missed one baby at the 8 week ultrasound. The doc said that they are identical and close. He saw one placenta, but they have two sacs.
I haven't gained much weight. I started out at about 122 lbs. and I'm about 126 lbs. now. I've had a lot of nauseousness and I am still having it. I always eat when I'm hungry though. My doc said that they measure healthy. I only have a small bloat, but I'm tall and I have a lot of room for them!

My questions:
How much had you gained by 14 wks?

Is the 24 lbs by 24 weeks accurate? How many of you had gained that much? I don't know if I can gain 20 lbs in 6 wks! Or even if that would be healthy to do.

How accurate can the doctor be about saying they're identical?

Thanks for all of your help!
May 12th, 2011, 04:28 PM
♥womanintheshoe♥'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Holy cow, another twinkie set due end of October/beginning of November! This is crazy but very exciting! Maybe we need to start out own subgroup, lol.

I've gained 20lb as of 13 weeks. I usually don't gain anything or even lose some so this was a huge shock! I've been on complete bed rest, though, and can only tolerate carbs right now so the weight packed on fast. Like you I'm tall (5'11") and started out at a good weight (130) so hopefully things will slow down or I'll be a blimp by the time these babies are born.

I don't know anything about identical twins as I'm having fraternal but Alternamom is having identicals so maybe she can pop in with some advice.

Congrats!

Also missing 11 precious little ones here with us but for a moment.

VERY cautiously expecting after two losses early 2013. Hoping and praying my Valentine's Day due date baby sticks this time.
May 12th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats! Depending on what they saw on the u/s, it can be pretty accurate that they are ID. My OB missed one of my girls at our 7 w u/s and saw both during our 9 w u/s. It's not that uncommon to miss one when they are so close together (i.e one hiding behind the other). I'm not sure how much I was up by 14 weeks, but not much if any. I went down 8 lbs before I started gaining. I definitely had not gained 24 lbs by 24 weeks. I delivered at 36w5d and was up 35 lbs. As long as the babies look good and you're getting enough to eat, don't stress about the exact number of pounds you've gained.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

May 12th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Congrats!!! It is a big shock to hear "You are having twins." I found out super early that I was having Fraternal twins.

I am now almost 27 weeks, and I have only gained 17lbs. Both babies are very healthy, and well. My girl weighs approx 1lb13oz and my boy weighs approx 1lb15oz.
May 12th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Rae-of-Sunshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Conrats and welcome Definitely don't stress about the 24 lbs by 24 weeks. My OB told me he was more concerned about making sure the babies were growing well and that how much I gained or didn't gain was not nearly as important. I ate whenever I was hungry and really tried to make sure I was getting in good nutrition and I didn't gain anywhere near that. I have only gained about 20-22 lbs total this pregnancy and I am almost 36 weeks. (of course I was way overweight to begin with so that might have something to do with it)

Psalm 139:9-10
]
May 12th, 2011, 07:40 PM
CrystalAnne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If the dr says they're sharing a placenta that's pretty accurate.

I lost weight throughout my entire pregnancy and have continued to lose weight (the girls are 1 month today) post partum. SO weight gain and weight loss varies from woman to woman.

Congratulations on your twins!!! They didn't find mine until 27 weeks, baby B was behind baby A at the 9 week u/s, so I know how it feels to find out later in pregnancy!
May 12th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Congrats! How fun! We found out at 18 weeks that we were having identical twins as well. Shared placenta, but both in their own sac (with thin membrane).

I don't panic about weight gain or loss either, as long as you're eating right, and babies are growing well it's all good. I'm almost 26 weeks and have gained 17lbs (feels like 100 though LOL)

According to my Dr. the 3 factors that lead them to believe that babies are identical is the shared or fused placenta, how thin the membrane is between them (if they came from 2 eggs, there would be a couple layers of membrane rather than 1 thin one) and if they are the same sex.

Good luck with everything!
May 12th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Super Mommy
CONGRATS!!!
I'm having identical girls! we found out at 7w there were 2 lol we were SHOCKED!
They are in one sac with a very thin membrane between them and they are basically touching eachother is what it looks like on the u/s lol and they share a placenta.

I am 15 weeks and have gained about 15lbs. I'm definitely on track to gain 24lbs by 24w! hahaha
I gained 40lbs with my last pregnancy but didn't start gaining until a little later so this is weird to me. I was 133 when I got preggo but I'm only 5'4" so this weight really has no where to go lol oh well.

GOOD LUCK! I'm so excited to have another twin mom around due around the same time. it must be something in the water!!! hahaha

May 13th, 2011, 01:00 PM
nat1970's Avatar Nicole - Mom2Leah,Ty,TJ
Don't worry about the weight gain especially if you are eating enough. Generally it is 1lb per week and that is what I did. I think I gained a little more in the beginning and then slowed down because it was so difficult to eat towards the end because I got so full so quickly.

I would say probably id's for sure if you only have one placenta, but then it could be fused.

Also FYI lladies who say they are having frats and not having b/g twins don't rule out the possibility that they aren't id's. Many ob's will just tell you they are frats because there are 2 sacs and 2 placentas. Not always the case. If your egg splits within the first few days you will have 2 sacs and 2 placentas. You won't know for sure until after birth when you confirm blood type. If they are the same then you can do twin zygosity testing which I did and found out my boys are id's. I know this was the case with several on this board, several of my friends and several ladies in my local MOM's group.

May 13th, 2011, 02:46 PM
thanks so much for the help.
May 16th, 2011, 06:52 AM
welcome!! we should defin. start a group for fall twin moms!! i would love that. i went for another u/s frid...the u/s tech said id boys, but the doctor only saw on of the "sex" pictures and said it looked girl (sigh), so i have to wait until the anatomy scan jun 2nd to find out for sure.
May 16th, 2011, 07:04 AM
nateandjenny's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How much had you gained by 14 wks? 0 (thought I would add I had no m/s)

Is the 24 lbs by 24 weeks accurate? How many of you had gained that much? I didn't gain any weight until it was around 23ish weeks (give or take a week) My OB and peri said not to worry about. I will gain weight when I need to.

Last edited by nateandjenny; May 17th, 2011 at 07:04 AM.
May 16th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am a total lurker here!
Congrats on your twins! After reading this I see that there are a few of you ladies who found out later on in your pregnancy...a lot of ppl that I ask about when thy find out about twins tell me that they are super easy to see and are NEVER missed at the first U/S...guess they are wrong! I have only had one U/S and had a feeling from the start it was twins... I go in for my second and only other U/S on the 27th...maybe if you start that sub-group I will be joining you!
Congrats again, so wonderful all the little babies and twins!!! It just makes me smile

*Thank you peimum for the gorgeous siggy!*
May 16th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Welcome and congrats! Chances are if they share a placenta they are identical. My doctor said that you can also tell by the size of the membrane separating the two sacs. If it is really thin then they are definitely identical. In my case I was never able to even see a membrane and it looked like my girls were in the same sac. We found out at 7 weeks but at my 5 week ultrasound we were only able to see one sac and one fetal pole. So we had a "hiding" baby as well.

As far as weight goes I gained 38 lbs the entire pregnancy and both girls were decent sizes (5 lbs 9 oz and 5 lbs 13 oz). At 18 weeks I gained 10 lbs so the majority of my weight gain was toward the second half of pregnancy. I wouldn't worry about it.
May 17th, 2011, 06:08 AM
erleigh's Avatar Super Mommy
Welcome and congrats on your twins!!

I did pretty much gain 24 lbs in the first 24 weeks but I wasn't all that nauseous and I ate A LOT. I think it's good to gain that much but if you don't, I wouldn't worry about it. It's tough to put on weight when you're nauseous.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search