worried about school

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 8th, 2011, 12:42 PM
brwneygirl's Avatar MommyX3
I just got into the physical therapy assistant program at my local college and school has started for the summer. I told my teachers right away that I was pregnant with twins just to let them know I couldn't be doing anything too strenuous. The director of the program gave me the number of a girl who was a year ahead of me in school and had had a baby in Oct. I gave her a call and she told me that she had her baby on a Monday and was back to school the following Monday. The reason for this is because the teachers can't make exceptions for any student and if you miss more than 3 classes of any one class, they will drop your grade by a letter. My thing is, this student had one baby. I'm going to have two and I know there is a higher chance of having a c-section. For those of you who had twins vaginal or c-section, how long did it take you to recover? I just don't know if I'll be able to go back to school a week after giving birth.

June 8th, 2011, 02:13 PM
GirlzRock's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ugh, that doesn't sound like fun! (going back to school one week later!) What kind of schedule do you have? I've had both vag and c-section births and for me, the c-section was a much harder recovery... But there are plenty of women who have said theirs wasn't bad so everyone is different! Thankfully, in the beginning, they sleep a lot but it's still going to be so new, trying to juggle babies and school is going to be tough but try not to dwell on it too much right now (easier said than done, I know) You can only control so much, everything else will have to work itself out. Worst case, do the best you can now... if you have to take another week + off, your grade may suffer but hopefully it's something you can still pass with. If not, deal with it as it comes.

Wife to Kris
Mom to FIVE girls! Jade (13), Alexandra (7), Leyna (5) and twins Kira and Kylee!

June 8th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Rae-of-Sunshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a c-section and i can tell you physically I would have had no trouble going back to school/work a week later. I wasn't taking pain meds anymore and was having no trouble getting around. Having said that, I cannot imagine going back to work that soon with the 2 babies at home. Physically I was great, but they are VERY time consuming and trying to work on just a little sleep would not have been easy at all.
Also, something to think about is what would happen if they put you on bedrest before the babies are born. Again, I worked up until the day the OB called and said he was inducing me the next day, but I know a lot of twin moms (and many here) will tell you they spent time on bedrest, so you may have issues there also depending on how the pregnancy goes (not to scare you), I hope everything goes well for you .... you are smart to be talking to them early!

Psalm 139:9-10
]
June 8th, 2011, 02:37 PM
nateandjenny's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
WIll you have clinicals that semester? I felt pretty good after my csection until I got a really infection. If I didn't have the infection I could have prob went back to school a week later as long as I was able to sit. If you are going to be in clincals and expected to stand a lot that would be a whole other issue. You may consider making an appointment with the president of your college to talk about your options. Will you have someone to watch the babies?

June 8th, 2011, 04:07 PM
brwneygirl's Avatar MommyX3
Clinicals will start in the spring, so I won't have to worry about that until after winter break. Thank goodness. During the fall semester I have class Mon-Fri. Yeah, I may just have to bust my butt early on to make up for a lower grade. My mom will be helping watch the babies to begin with and then I think she said she will be enlisting help from ladies in her church as well. I am worried about being so busy and getting used to being a mommy of three as well as school. I'm trying not to think about it too much as I don't want to stress myself out, ugh!!

June 11th, 2011, 01:01 PM
April Flowers's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wouldn't count on being able to go back to school a week later, or even two weeks later. I am in school too and ended up having to take a year of Planned Educational Leave (I will return in January) because the most time off they could give me was two weeks. I had a vaginal birth, and there was still no way. The last month of my pregnancy I was pretty much stuck on the couch. I sat on a chair in front of the stove just so I could cook dinner. For the first week after the birth my feet were so swollen from all the fluids they pushed on me for the epidural that I had a hard time walking, and my knees were super sore for the first six weeks. The sleep loss was/is the hardest for me though--even now, three months out, I am just starting to get back into my normal routines because I am awake ALL the time. My kids are 13 weeks old today, and only in the past week or so have I even felt like I would be able to handle my class load again, if I did not have any homework. I get two hours to myself per day--from 8-10pm, after the kids go to bed but before I do. I use that time to do cleaning and laundry, and sometimes cooking.

All this, and I had a fairly easy going pregnancy with no complications until I started developing PIH at the end and was induced at 37 weeks. I had gained 70 lbs, of which I have now lost 60.

Gorgeous siggy courtesy of tasha_mae!
Oct 26, 2010--Thing 1 is a BOY and Thing 2 is a GIRL

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search