Your top 10 best or worst things that has helped you out with your multiples!?

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 30th, 2011, 12:37 AM
CrysG's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What are 10 of your top/worst things-things you could do without, that has made your life easier with your multiples!

Here are mine:

1.) Boppies- love these!!
2.) Swaddle blankets-life saver
3.) Dr Brown bottles
4.) mam pacifiers
5.) blankets lots and lots of blankets
6.) bibs-lots of bibs
7.) 2 pack in plays with changing table attachement-one for upstairs and d/stairs-we don't have a regular chaining table. and got them both for a total of $40
8.) bouncy seat
9.) swing
10.) video monitor
11.) lots of diapers at my shower-deft reccomend having a diaper shower, my babies are two months old and haven't bought diapers yet. Also buying a box of diaper a month is also not a bad idea(different sizes!)

Worst
haven't really gotten anything yet that i haven't really used.

June 30th, 2011, 03:58 AM
Rae-of-Sunshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
lol .. oh I feel for you Jess ... I remember those days and not fondly

Top 10:

1. The "Big Green Monster" .. aka My Brestfriend twin nursing pillow ... I could not do it without this!
2. Swaddles .. they LOVE being swaddled at night and sleep SO much better
3. Boppies ... love them as places to put the kids
4. Nipple shields ... I had such trouble getting mine to latch on and nurse. After a visit to the LC and getting nipple shields things have gone SO much better.
5. LC's ... Lactation Consultants are wonderful! The $15 I paid to see the one at the hospital here is the best money I have ever spent.
6. Good wipes that pop up out of the container (like kleenex do). I am all for saving money on off brands, but someone gave us a bunch of "parents choice" wipes at our shower and I hate them because they are very hard to get out one handed while you are trying to hold baby feet up and out of a poopy diaper. Spend the money on the good ones that pop up ... and save the cheap ones to refill the diaper bag packs
7. Pacifiers ... we didn't give them these until almost a month and they have been wonderful!
8. Double electric breast pump ... such a neccessity!
9. Redneck pumping bra ... DH took an old bra and cut nipple holes in it, so that I have a hands free pumping bra. It has been a god-send! (I am using it right now to pump and catch up on the computer at the same time)
10. DH ... I could not do this without him. Having both of us at home has really helped.

10 worst ... I don't think I will get to 10, but ... ( I just realized what I wrote wasn't THINGS ... I can't think of anything we got that has been bad yet though. The jury is still out on whether they are going to like the bouncy seat or swings, but that is very baby specific ... I do need to read the question though .. whoops ... anyway, I will leave what I wrote originally ...)
1. Tandem bloody-murder screaming ... does anyone know where to buy new eardrums? (luckily this doesn't happen too often)
2. Diaper blow-outs ... yuck .. enough said.
3. Only having two hands ... hard as a mom to realize I can't always help both of them at once ... probably a good lesson for them, but it took a little for me to be ok with one of the crying when I couldn't do anything about it for a few minutes.
4. Getting stopped everywhere by "Oh do you have twins?" ... I mean, I love showing off the babies, but it gets old when I am in a hurry, or worse when one is being fussy (I want to say, can't you see I have an unhappy baby ... I need to go )
.... that is it for now ... for the most part I am really loving this

Psalm 139:9-10
]

Last edited by Rae-of-Sunshine; June 30th, 2011 at 04:02 AM.
June 30th, 2011, 06:30 AM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Best:
1) Moby
2) Ergo
3) Swing
4) Bouncy seats
5) swaddling blankets
6) projecting night light/sound machine
7) mommy and me groups
8) accepting help from anyone who offered
9) breast pump
10) pacifiers
11) bumbos

Worst:
1) twin pack n play
2) bottle cage washer for the dish washer
3) sling carrier

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

Last edited by Celry; June 30th, 2011 at 06:35 AM.
June 30th, 2011, 08:59 AM
♥womanintheshoe♥'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is a fantastic thread, thanks!

Jess - I'm still battling slight nausea all day every day and it is tiresome. Worth it, but tiresome.

Quote:
9. Redneck pumping bra ... DH took an old bra and cut nipple holes in it, so that I have a hands free pumping bra. It has been a god-send! (I am using it right now to pump and catch up on the computer at the same time)
I'm definitely going to try this one!

Quote:
Worst:
1) twin pack n play
Good to know!

Also missing 11 precious little ones here with us but for a moment.

VERY cautiously expecting after two losses early 2013. Hoping and praying my Valentine's Day due date baby sticks this time.
June 30th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Veteran
Funny I loved my twin pack n' play- it kept the babies in my room as long as possible sincetogether they would have outeighed the newborn napper on a regular pack n' play in no time...

Best:
1. My Mom!!!!
2. City Select Stroller- best thing ever for our setup.
3. Nipple Shields- only way I could get them latched on so it made nursing possible which was very important to me.
4. Cradle Swings- so cozy the babies were in these all day in the newborn stage.
5. SwaddleMe blankets- made swaddling quick and easy
6. Although I hated it my twin nursing pillow- only way I could tandem nurse in the beginning
7. bath rings- these have been great to have
8.2 exersaucers
9. oh my gosh pacifiers!
10. more pacifiers!

Worst:
1. bumbo seats- barely used them but were given them anyway
2. expensive boon high chair- should have just gotten a second ikea one
3. so many bouncy seats- given those too but never really used the second one
4. breast pump- killed me and i could never really pump much with all the nursing i was doing.
June 30th, 2011, 09:43 AM
I put the twin PNP on my worst list because the kids wanted to be next to each other, so having separate sleep areas for them was pointless. We would have been better buying 2 PNPs. We travel a lot and when we travel now, the kids do not like to stay in the same PNP.

Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

June 30th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Super Mommy
I LOVE THIS thread!!! Thank you!

June 30th, 2011, 08:17 PM
nateandjenny's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
10 best:
1. double snap n go
2. kolcraft contours stroller
3. swings
4. bumbos
5. space saver high chairs
6. swaddle blankets!!!
7. AmazonMom (for diapers and sometimes wipes)
8. space saver high chairs
9. love this thermometer: Pro Grade Complete Family Thermometer : Target
10. naps

I'll come back and add the worst stuff....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rae-of-Sunshine View Post
4. Getting stopped everywhere by "Oh do you have twins?" ... I mean, I love showing off the babies, but it gets old when I am in a hurry, or worse when one is being fussy (I want to say, can't you see I have an unhappy baby ... I need to go )
.... that is it for now ... for the most part I am really loving this
don't be afraid to tell people to leave you alone, go away, and don't touch my baby! sometimes you have to.

June 30th, 2011, 10:39 PM
CrysG's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rae-of-Sunshine View Post
6. Good wipes that pop up out of the container (like kleenex do). I am all for saving money on off brands, but someone gave us a bunch of "parents choice" wipes at our shower and I hate them because they are very hard to get out one handed while you are trying to hold baby feet up and out of a poopy diaper. Spend the money on the good ones that pop up ... and save the cheap ones to refill the diaper bag packs
I think my husband would agree to this....LOL he hates them and rips the package open because he can't get them out..drives him insane, but they are a lot cheaper though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celry View Post
Best:
1) Moby
2) Ergo
3) Swing
4) Bouncy seats
5) swaddling blankets
6) projecting night light/sound machine
7) mommy and me groups
8) accepting help from anyone who offered
9) breast pump
10) pacifiers
11) bumbos

Worst:
1) twin pack n play
2) [B]bottle cage washer for the dish washer[/B
]3) sling carrier
agree to the bolded parts!! love my mulitples group-I would highly suggest finding one in your area! A great way to connect with people locally!

the bottle cage-just doesn't hold enough stuff for as many bottles you go through! I just use the silverware thingy to put my bottle parts in (dr. browns)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateandjenny View Post
10 best:
1. double snap n go
2. kolcraft contours stroller
3. swings
4. bumbos
5. space saver high chairs
6. swaddle blankets!!!
7. AmazonMom (for diapers and sometimes wipes)
8. space saver high chairs
9. love this thermometer
10. naps

amazonmom w/subscribe and save is AWESOME!!!! I didn't add this one to my list but it's in the top 10 for sure!!!

For ladies that dont' know what this is. You go to amazon.com and search for Amazon Mom and sign up-it's free, and you'll get 2 months of free 2 day shipping. But they also have subscribe and save, which you get 15% off for doing S&S-which is you set it to automatically come out once, twice, a month etc, but you can cancel any time! You get the other 15% off for being an Amazon Mom member. However they did stop the 2 day shipping with the subcribe and save...booo!! But this really is amazing! They used to have coupons in baby magazines for 20% off and sometimes $10 off of diapers, they stop doing them, but they "might come back". But 30% off is HUGE!! especially with the amount of diapers you go through!!

June 30th, 2011, 11:11 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
1-swaddling
2-baby swings-helped with reflux and when they wouldn't settle-those two ac adaptor swings let me sleep for months!
3-white noise for sleep time in cribs
4-Angelcare breathing monitors
5-Prevacid for their terrible reflux
6-paid help that first summer for five hours a day while dh at work, I got to nap!
7-a Bjorn for each parent
8-a good sleep routine started early
9-2 boppies to bottle feed two kids at once--cut my awake time at night in half!
10-Penaten daily cream after each diaper change-kept their skin clear and made those diaper changes super fast, no scraping poop off skin with that stuff on! it worked like Pam!

bad--diaper pail-useless with twins since they fill soooo fast
-wipes warmer-hugest waste of money ever, dried the wipes out and made them brown, like I needed that to contend with along with two nbs
-advice from parents of singletons on how to parent my twins-unless you've had twins, don't both offering me advice about twins, it doesn't work

Lucky mother to five!

July 1st, 2011, 05:40 AM
michelle_m's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Best:
1) Boppies! They're lifesavers. We use them to feed the girls and they sleep in them to help with their reflux. (I know it's a no-no, but we worked out a system we're comfortable with.)
2) Pack N Play's. We have one on the first floor in our living room and one on the third floor in our bedroom.
3) Swaddlers
4) Combi Twin Sport Stroller - I love it!
5)Cloth diapers - because otherwise we'd be spending a small fortune on disposables.
6) Swing for Esme (Nadine doesn't like it)
7) Pacifiers.

Worst:
1) Pacifiers, ha. It was on our best list for a long time because Nadine has a strong sucking reflex and once we figured that out and gave her a paci, it was much easier to put her to sleep. BUT! Now it's a nightmare. We get up half a dozen times a night to put it back in her mouth. We really need to figure something out.
2) Double snap n go. I know twin mommies who swear by them, but I didn't like it. It rode too rough on city sidewalks, it was hard to turn, and I just didn't think it was all that convenient.
3) Bouncers and the cradle swing. Neither girl likes them.
4) Receiving blankets. We only used these to swaddle them when they were preemies. After that we used swaddlers. Wish I hadn't bought 20 of the blankets...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess_ken View Post
5. white bread
Ha. I was the Bagel Queen in the first trimester. That and fruit was all I ate most days.
Unexplained Infertility - TTC #1 since 5/08.
6/10 - IUI #3 with Clomid 75mg. BFP! 6/27/10...It's TWINS!
Esme Mireille, 3 lbs. 10 oz., and Nadine Adele, 4 lbs. 4 oz., born Jan 29th. 2011.
5/14 - TTC #3.

My Ovulation Chart

July 1st, 2011, 05:55 AM
I ate so many bagels in my first trimester too. I think I lived off of cereal, bagels and canned soup and I hate canned soups.

I personally would put our Bjorns in my worst category. I hated them compared to our other carriers. I need to sell ours because we don't use them again. I would highly suggest everyone go somewhere they can try on carriers and test them out before buying them. Everyone will have a different preference in what they like.

We cloth diaper as well and I love it. We use disposables when we travel and it always makes me realize how much money we save.

I love our space saver high chairs too. I forgot about those.

I never joined a multiples group. The mommy and me group I went to was through my hospital. I met a ton of moms and still do a lot of things with some of them. I was the only twin mom for most of the time I went. I didn't start going until A&E were almost 3 months because it was just too hard before then.

365 Days in a Roe

July 1st, 2011, 07:52 AM
mudd1118's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
best:
1. a hands-on daddy! (also my mom, sister and lactation consultant -- lifesavers!)
2. Puj tub
3. NoseFriday snot sucker
4. swing
5. Moby (when they were small) and Beco Gemini (now)
6. double and single snap n' go strollers
7. AmazonMom!!!
8. walkers
9. jumperoo/exersaucer
10. Mickey Mouse Clubhouse episodes stored up on the DVR (they love the songs)
11. activity gym
12. Medela Freestyle pump

worst:
1. too many newborn clothes!
2. cloth diapers (they just didn't work for us)

July 1st, 2011, 08:57 PM
Super Mommy
1. Double snap-n-go
2. Safety First Air Car Seats (so light and comes with premie supports)
3. Moby
4. Arms Reach Co-Sleeper (can hold both babies with a weight limit on top of 30lbs and can be used as a play yard)
5. Playtex drops ins
6. Playtex breast pump that attaches to the playtex bottles w/drop in liners
7. Sleep Sheep
8. Rock-a-lullabyes
9. Bounces and swings
10. Blankets!!!!!

July 2nd, 2011, 10:33 PM
CrystalAnne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Best
1) Pack n play in the living room. They nap there and are protected from their older brother, he means well but a 17 month old is unintentionally violent on a regular basis lol.

2) I call my twin breastfeeding pillow the green monster as well! Couldn't tandem at first without it, now it doesn't matter where I am I have twins hanging off my boobs constantly. . .drives me crazy but I'm trying to do what's best!

3) Bumbos. They are just starting to like these, Paige actually laughs her head off for the first five mins she's in it. They sit in them while the family eats dinner so they can be included.

4) Kolcraft contours II double stroller. . . I put my son in one toddler seat and both girls in the other facing eachother and they all 3 go nuts they're so happy. LOVE IT.

5) Our swing. Both girls like it and if they're both being needy and I can't really handle both of them in my arms (wrangling jake, helping gracie out with a project etc) one can go in there for awhile.

6) Bedsharing. . .I know it's controversial but without it I"d have lost my mind weeks and weeks ago. They share with me and if they aren't sharing with me then they both sleep in the same crib, they will NOT sleep if they are seperated.

7) Other MoM's. You ladies and a couple local ones here keep me sane. Parents of singletons just do NOT understand whether they think they do or not!

8) Moby and Ergo. . . .Couldn't shop without them! I wear one or both girls in the moby and jake on my back in the ergo when I shop alone with the 3 youngest. If my 7 yr old is there jake rides ina 2nd cart instead of on my back. . .but I love both carriers!

9)Cloth diapers. We would be bankrupt with 3 bums in diapers if we used sposies.

10) My medela pump in style double electric pump. I work and I need it to get momma moo for my babies!

I don't have a 10 worst list right now
July 3rd, 2011, 09:01 AM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Best items:
double snap n go
Kiddopotamous swaddlemes
Diaper Dekor Plus
full size co-sleeper- used it for 2+ years
Monkey backpack "leashes" there is a stage around 16 months that they will literally run in opposite directions and won't listen when you say stop.
Skip Hop Duo Double
regular (larger) Jansport backpack when they are toddlers

Worst:
Diaper Champ. Ugh. HATED it
wipes warmer. I needed to use cold wipes to wake the girls up to eat

July 3rd, 2011, 10:52 AM
mudd1118's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I also used (and still use, actually) ItzBeen timers -- one for each baby -- I call them my lifelines!

July 3rd, 2011, 05:48 PM
tundrababy's Avatar Mega Super Twin Mommy
Just off the top of my head...

Boppies/EZ2Nurse pillows
Medela Breast pump and handsfree pumping bra
Graco infant car seats
Swing/bouncer
Pack'n'play
Playtex drop-ins
Costco membership
swaddling blankets
Kolcraft tandem stroller
moby
lots and lots of carters footed snap pjs

ETA...and netflix, we watched a lot movies when the boys were nursing/supplementing, since they took forever

Last edited by tundrababy; July 3rd, 2011 at 05:50 PM.
July 3rd, 2011, 06:56 PM
Veteran
It's funny to see how many things are on one person's best list and another's worst list. Shows some things just don't work for everyone or every baby.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search