who's multiples spent time in the nicu?

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 3rd, 2011, 07:47 AM
Super Mommy
I know we've talked about this before, probably a lot lol I should go back and search through the board but I wanted to ask who's multiples spent time in the nicu, what gestational age were they born, what were they in for and how long were they there?

I had my girls at 34 weeks gestation.. They were only 3lbs so we knew they would be in the nicu to grow. They didn't need help breathing which was a shock actually since we weren't (and still arent) sure about their brain issues. They are really only in there to grow now and I feel like it's such a slow process. It's been almost 2 weeks and we are getting anxious and frustrated. Keely is doing pretty well with taking the bottles but she's gaining so slowly. they moved her up to 24 calorie breast milk but she didn't gain anything between saturday and sunday.. and Kenley isn't doing too well with the bottle and has to get tube fed still, she always gains a good amount and then loses some.. she lost 10 grams the other night.. they are finally at their birth weights but now I want them to keep growing! when we feed Kenley, we get soo anxious for her to take a bottle. She will take one for me then the next day she will only take 5mL's and conk out. They do tolerate their feeds though regardless of how they get them, they are up to like 30mL's or so and they keep raising it with no problem... I know that's a process but the neonatologist told us that babies usually get the nippling around 35 weeks and by 36 weeks they should have it down.. well they will be 36 weeks on wednesday, he said if she doesn't have it by then, then we start thinking about it being more of an issue with her brain instead of just being a preemie.. we already knew she would be behind because of whatever they said is wrong with her brain anyway so we shouldn't be shocked that she's slow at getting this stuff...

ok that turned into more of a little vent lol anyone else go through the nicu stuff with their LO's? I just want them home..

October 3rd, 2011, 10:05 AM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
my guys were 28 weekers, T was tubed for a week, A never was. We met them at 36 weeks and they were feeders/growers then-they were discharged at 42 weeks, but I think they keep them longer up here ((hugs))

Lucky mother to five!

October 3rd, 2011, 06:07 PM
dalynnrmc's Avatar pronounced (day-lynn)
Mine never went to NICU, though Lynndi was only a few grams over the hospital's mandate for going. We made it to 37w and 2d though!

One of my best friends from school also had twins about 3 months after mine were born and hers stayed in for a little over 2 months. Hers were born at around 32 weeks, I think. (I know she was due in January but never was sure of the exact due date. They were born Nov 6.)

Another of my friends just had a baby at 29 weeks gestation so they are in the NICU and they were told they'd be there until what would have been about 36 weeks gestation if everything goes well. (And things are great already!)

Keeping you and your new babies in thought and prayer!

Much thanks to Alethia for my beautiful siggie and tags!!
October 4th, 2011, 05:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Mine were born at 37 weeks and still spent 2 weeks in the NICU. They had breathing issues after birth and that is the main reason why they brought them there. Then they had feeding issues with the suck/swallow/breathe reflex. That's what kept them there longer. I went to my scheduled c-section and the girls were decent sizes (5 lbs 9 oz, 5 lbs 13 oz). You just never know.

I hope your little ones come home soon.
October 4th, 2011, 06:21 AM
Super Mommy
that's what's keeping them there now, the suck swallow breath for Kenley at least. Keely did awesome yesterday with her feeds and took down the whole bottle 3 times and in a good amount of time. Kenley is doing better but she will forget that she needs to breath while she eats. They didn't need much help with breathing, Kenley was on room air to remind her to breath for the first few days then she was fine.. so now it's just the growing part but it seems to be taking forever for them to even gain an oz..

October 4th, 2011, 12:36 PM
dalynnrmc's Avatar pronounced (day-lynn)
Sounds like they're doing pretty well! They'll get the feeding thing.

Even at 37 weeks it took my Lynndi a while to get that down, and she took forever in gaining weight also. In fact, she's still 5lbs less than her twin brother! The WIC lady was saying she's got until age 2 to "catch up" (to peers I guess, closer to 50th percentile) but that right now she's only 30%. I told her, well, 3 months ago she was only 20th percentile, so we're doing good!

Silly growth charts.

They'll grow! Grow babies grow!! (We need a GROW smiley! LOL)

Much thanks to Alethia for my beautiful siggie and tags!!
October 4th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree with Dalyn!! They are doing awesome! I know how you feel, it felt like getting them to "learn" how to eat took FOREVER. They would eat a few cc's and then turn blue, then fall asleep. Literally after what seemed like ages, a light went off and they got it. Maddie still turned blue for a few weeks after we brought them home, but we pretty much could tell when it was going to happen and we were able to help her catch her breath. Hang in there... I know the days can feel like an eternity there, but all babies are different. They may surprise you and be ready to go home sooner than you think.
October 6th, 2011, 11:07 AM
nat1970's Avatar Nicole - Mom2Leah,Ty,TJ
Ty went to NICU after being in the general nursery with TJ for 36 hrs. I needed to sleep so sent them to the nursery overnight and the night nurse fed Ty with a fast flow nipple and his oxygen levels went down because he wasn't able to keep up and at the same time his temps went down so they took him to NICU. Then he had to prove himself there before coming home. He was only in for 3 days so it wasn't that big of a deal. My OB kept me in an extra day so I was only without him at home for 1 night. I had several nurses tell me he didn't need to get there. They were 36w5d so they were older. Both boys were nursing well too.

October 6th, 2011, 12:59 PM
I had my girls at 30 weeks gestation; They were 2lbs 15oz and 3lbs. We were there for 5 weeks, for pretty much the same thing. They needed a little help breathing at first, but there were no other real issues other than feeding & growing. It's SUCH a long process! They're 3 months old now, and I feel like it's still continuing. They monitor their weights so closely. Yesterday we hit the big 10lbs (yay!) but my DR was still not satisfied cause they only gained 23 grams per day this past month, and they want it to be 30 :S So back to pumping a bottle or two a day and fortifying it..
Mine girls would both "forget" how to suck,breathe,swallow for about 3 weeks after they came home (SO Stressfull) and they'd turn blue, and need a thump on the back, or whatever to get them back on track, but that passed quickly.
Anywhoo, you're not alone

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search