Qotw

Forum: Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 9th, 2011, 08:37 PM
dalynnrmc's Avatar pronounced (day-lynn)
Feeding your multiples!

Pregnant mommies - are you wanting to breastfeed for any length of time or are you planning to formula feed from the outset?

Infant/toddler mommies - are you now breastfeeding? Did you breastfeed (or pumping counts!) for any length of time and for how long? How many are formula feeding and/or supplementing? Is your pediatrician in support of whatever choice you have made? Those on solids, what have they tried and what is their favorite?

Bigger kiddos - (Feel free to answer the above questions for when your kiddos were little!) What are your kiddos favorite foods? Is there anything either of them will NOT eat?

Much thanks to Alethia for my beautiful siggie and tags!!
October 10th, 2011, 01:12 AM
Rae-of-Sunshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
]Infant/toddler mommies - are you now breastfeeding?Did you breastfeed (or pumping counts!) for any length of time and for how long? How many are formula feeding and/or supplementing? Is your pediatrician in support of whatever choice you have made? I am doing a little of everything ....I am bfing when I am home, pumpng when I am at work and after I feed them at home and in the middle of the night (like now ) and supplementing with pumped bm if I have it and formula if I don't whenever they are either a) too fussy to nurse (Abigail often fights me on it lately ... though this weekend she has been showing off for her grammy, who is visititing, and nursing well .... or b) still hunhry after they have drained their side (Noah gets two sides if Abigail is fussy and if she isn't he is often still hungry after his side. My pedi doesn't really care how they get their food actually we have never really talked much about it other than him asking each apt what they are eating.

Those on solids, what have they tried and what is their favorite? They just started after their 4 month appt. So far they have had the boring stuff (rice cearl and oatmeal), one fruit (bananas), and one veggie (sweet potatoes). Noah LOVED bananas ... and ate the sweet potatoes fine, but wasn't excited about them like bananas. Abigail tolerated both, but didn't love either/

Psalm 139:9-10
]
October 10th, 2011, 09:50 AM
abwright17's Avatar Ashley
Infant/toddler mommies - are you now breastfeeding? Did you breastfeed (or pumping counts!) for any length of time and for how long? How many are formula feeding and/or supplementing? Is your pediatrician in support of whatever choice you have made? I do plan on breast feeding my twins. I also plan to pump so daddy can help with feeding. Yes the pediatrician is very supportive. I breast feed my other children for a year and I plan to do so with the twins too.

Those on solids, what have they tried and what is their favorite?
I usually wait for them to be at least 6 months before i do solids.
October 10th, 2011, 01:03 PM

I'm sure you've all seen in my siggie by now, but we are breastfeeding still at 13 months. We were exclusive for the first 6 months and then added solids slowly, though more quickly than I have with babies in the past. It's really hard to sit down and feed babies separately from everyone else and still get dinner cooked and then actually get to eat it. So I had them sitting in their seats and eating some finger foods earlier than usual.

Lynndi will NOT eat green beans. Since she had them out of a jar the first time, she sat and hollered with her mouth open and a bite on her tongue. I was amused. Now, if I put green beans on her tray, she might try one but throws the rest of them in the floor. If I try to put one directly in her mouth she shakes her head "no". I've never had a picky eater before! She also won't eat vienna sausages. She went to town on the fresh asparagus the other night though!

October 10th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We BF for 19 months when both girls self weaned. I loved BFing and not bothering with bottles and formula. To me, those would have been much harder. BFing was not easy in the beginning and we did do some pumping and bottle feeding expressed milk at night.

A will not eat soft goat cheeses or any yogurt. She will eat harder goat cheese, but gags on the soft stuff, so I don't feed it to her. She eats just about anything, but loves waffles and ice cream. I always keep home made whole wheat waffles made with shredded veggies in the freezer.

E doesn't hate anything, but there are things she'd rather not eat. Both kids recently decided they LOVE roasted chickpeas. She also loves waffles like her sister. One thing she loves that A won't touch is yogurt. SHe only ever gets plain and thinks it's amazing.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

October 11th, 2011, 06:16 AM
Super Mommy
I tried posting yesterday but it didn't work so lets try again..
I'm exclusively pumping right now since the girls were in the nicu. Keely is home now and Kenley is still there. I've been trying to nurse Keely but she's not having it. she will latch a but and suck a couple times but get mad, is it because she was started on the bottle and it comes out faster?
I can't keep up with both of them though with the pumping. taking some in to the nicu AND having some at home for Keely is getting tiring. I'm not making enough either..
I had a hard time nursing my son too so this really isn't surprising to me. I have bad luck all around with pregnancies and then needing a c/s with my son and then not even being able to nurse.. It gets to me..

that turned in to more than just answering the question lol sorry

October 11th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Wow Celry (do I know your name yet? LOL), you did fantastically!

Jessica - no problem! Ask away. I love it when the threads branch into discussions - that's kinda the point ya know!

Yep, it could be because she's used to the bottle and it comes out easier from there. But also, your babies are small and it just takes a while for them to learn it! Lynndi was small too and she had a hard time. Try doing some breast compression with her latched and see if that helps. It did with Lynndi after a few tries! It also helped if I would latch Caleb (my stronger sucker, he got it right away) first and then her. He'd stimulate let-down and then she got the "good stuff" sooner and was happier at the breast.

I never had to do the pumping instead of nursing thing, but I know that a lot of times a woman may not produce as well when she's not being able to put baby to breast. Try pumping MORE often (yes, I really do *know* that sounds horrible). Realize that if you were nursing twins at this age, you'd be nursing for about 20 minutes EACH, and each baby would do that every 3-4 hours. So, an hour of pumping and two hours of rest, then back to the pump. That sounds horrible, but that's really what it was like nursing for the first couple of months with twins. It was all I could do - and I ate and peed in-between. LOL Did the hospital supply you with one of those fantastic double electric pumps? If not, ask for one!! And then still do it every 3-4 hours for at least a half hour if you can.

There are things you can do to increase supply, but know this - if you can keep producing anything at all, when the babies can latch and learn to nurse properly you WILL build it back up. Your body may think that you lost the babies, since they were so early and you aren't being able to put them on - so keep trying to convince your body it's wrong and those babies are doing just great!

Do what you can, mama, and don't stress over what you can't!!

And I'd also like to say that I'm SURE there are more multiples mommas out there who only or mostly formula fed/feed. Please don't be shy - speak up! I'm sure we have some pregnant mommas expecting to formula feed who need to know they are not in the minority.

October 12th, 2011, 05:33 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Infant/toddler mommies - my guys were a quick adoption so they were 100% ff, started solids at 5months adjusted, cows milk at 9 months adjusted per peds advice-got them off bottles at 11 months actual--nothing too exciting with their feeding history except bad reflux until they started sitting up.

Bigger kiddos-they are now 2.5years old and LOVE yogurt and all fresh fruit--the only things they refuse to eat are eggs in any form, and peanut butter--none of my four bigs will eat either of those
October 12th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Wahoo! I didn't realize you had adopted any kiddos. What a blessing! Thanks for posting!

October 12th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
yes, my middle three are a sibling set
October 20th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My twins get everything.

Ayla- she was exclusively breastfed until last week. She refused a bottle, and now takes them during the day. She has formula and EBM.

Silas- was exclusively a bottle feeder (EBM and formula) until 6 weeks, but now he will BF.

So whatever I feel like doing, I do lol.
October 20th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alternamom View Post
I'm exclusively pumping right now since the girls were in the nicu. Keely is home now and Kenley is still there. I've been trying to nurse Keely but she's not having it. she will latch a but and suck a couple times but get mad, is it because she was started on the bottle and it comes out faster?
It can easily be because a bottle is easier. I would try BFing at each feeding and then did pumped milk in a bottle after a short time on the breast since neither A nor E was good at nursing. They got tired out and would stop way before they had enough calories. Eventually, as they got stronger, we moved to a little bit slower nipple on their bottle and then worked out way to the Firstyears Breastflow bottles. THey really had to work to get milk out of those and ended up prefering the breast.

Also, a couple quick hints on pumping.
1) make sure the part that goes over your nipple is the right size
2) make sure you have it set at a comfortable setting. harder and faster is not necessarily better
3) try power pumping. Pump 10 minutes on and 10 minutes off for an hour, once per day
4) keep pumping once all your milk is done. I always pumped for a minimum of 10 extra minutes during each pumping session. This made my body know it needed more and eventually I started getting a 2nd let down and started making more. I quickly had enough for my 2 plus a freezer stash.

Good luck!

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

October 20th, 2011, 07:26 PM
tundrababy's Avatar Mega Super Twin Mommy
I breastfed Rhys and pumped for Owen for 12mos until I was done (with formula supplements when I went back to work). Somewhere I seem to have given birth to the most pickiest kids ever. I am not even sure they are mine most days, I LOVE food and made an awesome dinner tonight, only Danika ate some of it and the boys hardly ate anything. Rhys would live on cereal and fruit if possible and Owen changes daily what he likes (lately the kid would eat tomatoes for every meal). They all love breakfast so we try to make it packed full of good stuff.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search